Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:46 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,514 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling from the US to Australia for the first time in my life this December. I plan to fly on Qantas from Chicago O'Hare to Sydney with a layover in San Francisco.

I'm trying to use the Qantas website in order to book my round-trip flight.

The problem is that it won't allow me to select my seats for my flights during my booking.

I don't wish to check-in online 24 hours before my flight, and be assigned the dregs of what's left of the seats. I really would prefer a window seat.

So how can I go about selecting my seat for my flights to and from Australia?

Should I book my flight and then call up Qantas to select my seat?

Is there anything I can do in this situation?

Is there anyone here who has flown on Qantas that could provide me with some information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:35 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
You can only get a seat selection when booking if you hold a qantas Platnim, Gold of Sliver membership card.

It would be reasonable to assume that the vast majoirty of flyers dont have a these Qantas Membership Cards so virtrually no one can book a seat unitl 24 hours before the flight. To get a good seat, you just have to log on and do your internet check in nice and early the day before your flight leaves.

I have only ever flown domestically, so cant comment much on the quality of the international flights. Ones things for sure you should be pretty safe, its the worlds second oldest airline still in existence (established 1921) and the number of crash vicitims currently stands at 0. Dustan Hoffman knew what he was talking about.

Might be a good idea to post this in the Australia and NZ section as well!

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-09-2010 at 02:48 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 06:52 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
I flew Qantas Airlines several years ago to & from Australia and I found their service to be great.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
Took Qantas from NZ to SYD, years ago, They were great, Was in Christchurch NZ, was schedule to fly up to ACK on Air NZ, but that flight was going to depart late, and I would miss my connecting flight to SYD on Qantas. I went over to Qantas Ticketing and asked them if I could re-book from the ACK-SYD to CHC-SYD, they checked there were open seats and just re-wrote my ticket. No added fees, no problems.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
You can only get a seat selection when booking if you hold a qantas Platnim, Gold of Sliver membership card.

It would be reasonable to assume that the vast majoirty of flyers dont have a these Qantas Membership Cards so virtrually no one can book a seat unitl 24 hours before the flight. To get a good seat, you just have to log on and do your internet check in nice and early the day before your flight leaves.
I just searched around on Expedia, and I found that you can request specific seats for Qantas flights departing to Australia out of LAX.

If I book a Qantas flight and request my seat via Expedia, would I be screwing myself?

In other words- Since Qantas doesn't allow seat selections ahead of time, would being able to request a seat on a Qantas flight via Expedia be too good to be true?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Qantas does not fly from chicago, If you 'book' with Qantas from chicago to LA/SFO/HNL they will put you on a code/share partner (mostly likely United). But will be on Qantas ticket. You will switch to Q at the connection point. I think UAL only allow you to pick your seat ahead of time if your Pay for it, or you are in the High FF status.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Qantas does not fly from chicago, If you 'book' with Qantas from chicago to LA/SFO/HNL they will put you on a code/share partner (mostly likely United). But will be on Qantas ticket. You will switch to Q at the connection point. I think UAL only allow you to pick your seat ahead of time if your Pay for it, or you are in the High FF status.
I understand that my flight from ORD to LAX will be operated by United.

But while using Expedia, I clicked on 'Preview seat availability' for my desired connecting flight from LAX to SYD, and I got to see an actual seat map for Qantas Flight #12.

At the top, it reads: "The following seats are available for this flight. You will be able to select specific seats once you have selected a flight to purchase."

So I've been thinking that I could request a seat for this particular flight by booking my trip through Expedia.

However, people here have said that no one can book a seat on a Qantas flight until 24 hours before departure.

So I was wondering whether or not this seat selection that Expedia is providing for Qantas Flight #12 is too good to be true.

What do you honestly think?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Qantas web site says you can book your seat from 7day inadvance to 3h before flight. I think (Last time I used Expedia was a while ago), you and say what kind of seat you want they they will 'request' it for you in the 7day period. Or 7day before your flight you can go onto Qantas website and pick out your seat with the Conf number that you will get. If you do it right when the 7 days open's you should have no problem gettting almost any seat (type) you want.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 12,015 times
You can call up Qantas and request a seat...aisle window...then they will assign you a seat. Plus you can go online a few days before and change to whatever seat you want that is open. You don't have to pay extra to request a seat or I have never had to.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
Just call the airline and see when you can select a seat. If you do it as early as possible you should get the seat you want with out much trouble. I used Expedia once and they gave me the seat I wanted.

Also Qantas is partners with American Airlines not United. I know with American Airlines you can chose your seat when you buy your ticket so if you buy the whole leg on Qantas.com call American Airlines and they can select your seats on your ORD-SFO/LAX etc.. flight

Qantas is a great airline!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel