Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The Canadian Rockies, hands down.
Once you see Mt. McKinley and the mountains in Alaska you'll change your mind. It's def not "hands down" for Canada. There are plenty of mountains elsewhere in N. America just as spectacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Once you see Mt. McKinley and the mountains in Alaska you'll change your mind. It's def not "hands down" for Canada. There are plenty of mountains elsewhere in N. America just as spectacular.
It's all subjective. I have been to Alaska and I also pick the Canadian Rockies, without a doubt. There is something about the brilliant blue water and striking mountains everywhere you go. For me, Mt. McKinley doesn't have the same effect, although is beautiful in its own right.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
It's all subjective. I have been to Alaska and I also pick the Canadian Rockies, without a doubt. There is something about the brilliant blue water and striking mountains everywhere you go. For me, Mt. McKinley doesn't have the same effect, although is beautiful in its own right.
It's not really very fair to compare Alaska with Canada as Canada is sooooo much larger in size. Why, I think you could probably fit 6 or 7 Alaskas into one Canada.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
It's not really very fair to compare Alaska with Canada as Canada is sooooo much larger in size. Why, I think you could probably fit 6 or 7 Alaskas into one Canada.
The Canadian Rockies don't encompass the entire country of Canada. They are in a narrow area of Alberta and British Columbia.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
The Canadian Rockies don't encompass the entire country of Canada. They are in a narrow area of Alberta and British Columbia.
Well sure, if you don't count those that were pushed underground by the glaciers.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Certainly some good choices, and as others have commented, not really fair or easy to name just one range. Not mentioned yet is one of my favorites. On trips to Southwestern Colorado have been quite impressed with the scenic beauty of that states San Juan Mountains.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I'd say the Alaska/Denaili Ranges and Canadian Rockies, followed by the Sierra Nevada.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Certainly some good choices, and as others have commented, not really fair or easy to name just one range. Not mentioned yet is one of my favorites. On trips to Southwestern Colorado have been quite impressed with the scenic beauty of that states San Juan Mountains.
The drive through the San Juans from Durango to Telluride passing through Silverton and Ouray is probably one of my favorite mountain highways to drive. The scenery is almost like going through the European Alps and I like the old mining towns along the way.

But yeah, picking one mountain range to be the most scenic is like picking my favorite family member. I've never been to Alaska, but the Canadian Rockies are definitely up there in terms of dramatic mountains scenery. It's hard to beat places like Lake Louise or Morraine Lake.

For backpacking the High Sierras have a ton of opportunities to get lost, and you've got to hike in to get to see some of the best scenery. The Cascades have their own level of beauty, but it's a different type of grandeur, with the large massive glacier-clad solitary volcanos like Ranier or Hood. But there's so much to see in North America, that to name just one range as my favorite, I'd be ignoring other worthy contenders like the Olympics, Beartooth Range in Montana, Grand Tetons, or the multitude of ranges that make up the Colorado Rockies.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Each mountain we see is just as spectacular as the others, and for different reasons.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'd say the Alaska/Denaili Ranges and Canadian Rockies, followed by the Sierra Nevada.

I agree with this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel