Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 10:55 PM

9 posts, read 46,778 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to colorado springs the first week in Dec. We'd like to get some route suggestions. Any way to avoid I-70 and I-80 from other postings these some terrible this time of year. Also, he may be towing a small uhaul with his truck, but if the weather looks too bad we may get the mover to haul everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,053,646 times
It would be a toss up for me. If towing a trailer, personally, I'd stay on interstates during the winter. The two routes I'd probably choose would be either one of these depending on what the weather forecasts are in the areas I'd be going through.

Route 1:

South on I-5

to I-205 just north of Vancouver, WA

I-205 to I-84 just after crossing into Oregon

East on I-84 all the way through the Blue Mountains, through Idaho (Boise, Twin Falls), into Utah (through Ogden), just south of Ogden, I-84 will split from I-15, stay on I-84 to the point it intersects with I-80.

East on I-80 as it continues through Wyoming (Evanston, Laramie), and on to Cheyenne.

South on I-25 at Cheyenne. Continue on I-25 into Colorado through Denver and to Colorado Springs.

Route 2:

North on I-5.

Continue on I-5 to SR-18 just after going through Tacoma and Fife.

East on SR-18 through Auburn, Covington until the intersection with I-90 just west of North Bend.

East on I-90.

Continue on I-90 across Snoqualmie Pass, through central and eastern Washington, through Spokane and all the way through the Idaho panhandle, into Montana (Missoula, Butte, Billings), into Wyoming and through Sheridan. About 35-miles after Sheridan, I-25 splits off from I-90.

South on I-25. Continue on I-25 through Casper and Cheyenne, into Colorado through Fort Collins, Denver and to Colorado Springs.

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-13-2010 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: second link not working properly

Old 11-13-2010, 05:44 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
It would be a toss up for me. If towing a trailer, personally, I'd stay on interstates during the winter. The two routes I'd probably choose would be either one of these depending on what the weather forecasts are in the areas I'd be going through.

Route 1:

South on I-5

to I-205 just north of Vancouver, WA

I-205 to I-84 just after crossing into Oregon

East on I-84 all the way through the Blue Mountains, through Idaho (Boise, Twin Falls), into Utah (through Ogden), just south of Ogden, I-84 will split from I-15, stay on I-84 to the point it intersects with I-80.

East on I-80 as it continues through Wyoming (Evanston, Laramie), and on to Cheyenne.

South on I-25 at Cheyenne. Continue on I-25 into Colorado through Denver and to Colorado Springs.

Route 2:

North on I-5.

Continue on I-5 to SR-18 just after going through Tacoma and Fife.

East on SR-18 through Auburn, Covington until the intersection with I-90 just west of North Bend.

East on I-90.

Continue on I-90 across Snoqualmie Pass, through central and eastern Washington, through Spokane and all the way through the Idaho panhandle, into Montana (Missoula, Butte, Billings), into Wyoming and through Sheridan. About 35-miles after Sheridan, I-25 splits off from I-90.

South on I-25. Continue on I-25 through Casper and Cheyenne, into Colorado through Fort Collins, Denver and to Colorado Springs.

I like your route 1 choice best because it only goes over one high mountain pass at Immigrant Hill (Cabbage) just east of Pendleton, OR.

I-90 and I-70 have several of them.

I don't know about everyone else, but the last place I'd want to be towing something behind a U-haul would be atop Lookout, Homestake, Vail or Loveland passes during that time of year.

Also, the I-5/84/80/25 route is just far enough south, and not high enough in elevation, to expect a major storm during the first week of December (though it is certainly not out of the question). That's still a little early along that route for bad a storm, but that's not so in the high mountains. Yes, the OP may very well run into snow but, unless it's accompanied by a serious cold front, it's not likely to stick badly during the daytime. Slush is more common along that route then than deep snow pack or ice in early December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel