Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 PM

70 posts, read 111,123 times

Advertisements

Hello, I want to visit a foreign country this year. I having trouble on which I should go and visit. The last time I travel outside of the country was when I was 7 years old visiting relatives in El Salvador with my family.

The choices that I have are:
1. United Kingdom- Want to check out London and the pub scene. I will love to immerse myself into the architerture of the historical landmarks and ride the London Underground System.
2.Japan=Especially Tokyo. . Love the idea of being surrounded by crowds of people, the vibrancy and urban location, the neon lights, the temples, the japanese language, the friendly people and the culture.
3.Canada- Vancouver seems like a great city to check out nature, being surrounded by friendly people, and experiencing a different lifestyle.

Which one of the three should I go visit alone for the first time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,063,502 times
I would visit Vancouver. I know it sounds like the "safe" choice, but it seems like such a cool area.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
I would do Tokyo, as it is quite unique and intriguing and definately full of people. Friendly ?, not so sure that Tokyo could be called that. Osaka seems to be closer to your ideal. Certainly more accessible to culture due to less crowds and size. People seem to be far more friendly there. (IMO)

Vancouver BC can be explored totally as a North American, unless you seek out the international experience. (which can be plentiful)
(i.e. you may not even realize you are in Canada, and certainly not in Abu Dhabi).

If history and architecture is your gig, I would do a loop of London, Paris, and Brussels (In that order).

If friendly people are your desire, then the rural areas of Denmark and Switzerland.

Need an econo Pub experience? Then come to Portland, OR for $89 on a cheap flight. Many venues to try out. In England I prefer a 'country' pub experience to a city pub. If 'city pub' is your thing, then go to Prague or Budapest.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:24 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,045 times
I think it all comes down to budget. I know for me, living in the northeast, England and Vancouver are way cheaper for me to get to over Japan. I can find (relative) bargain flights to London from time to time but to Tokyo? That would cost me some serious cash. If money is no object, I would choose Japan or London, as if you are US-based, Vancouver is much more doable in a shorter amount of time and on a smaller budget than the other two.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
I woudln't select Japan for a first time - it's not easily accessable for a foreigner. London is very expensive but I would probably choose that. Canada? It's the US, almost just like visiting another state, just with a better hockey team and people that pronounce 'about' as 'aboot'.

Before I get attacked for that last scentence as being "woefully incorrect", it's not a serious statement. Vancouver is a beautiful city.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times
How much time you got? If you have at least two weeks I'd vote Japan, else U.K.

I agree with the woefully one on BC, it is lovely but it sounds like you want to head somewhere with the purpose of experiencing "foreign" and that ain't really it.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:59 PM

70 posts, read 111,123 times
Thanks again for the answers everyone. I am open to other suggestion to other foreign countries.

My budget is about $2000 which includes airfare and staying at a hostel. I will either go in my spring break in April or in the beginning of June for about at least two weeks when school is over.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 PM

702 posts, read 3,011,430 times
It really depends how much of an adventurer you are. Are you comfortable in immersing yourself to a complete different culture where you can't speak the language? Or do you prefer to go where you can at least communicate.

I assume you are from the U.S. Vancouver is the closest but also most similar to the U.S. It is too safe, IMO. I think UK is the middle of the road. I would pick the UK, because if that didn't work out, you have so many other options, hop on a train to Paris, fly cheaply to other European destinations.

Tokyo is very intense and makes NYC look like a village. Most people do not speak English and things are very expensive. However, it is the kind of travel that can make you feel alive as you have to keep on your toes and just be free to explore and get lost.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Done all 3. I'd hit London again. Was there for 4 days just sightseeing, and didn't see nearly all the things I wanted. I also like to wander and hit the pubs as a solo traveler. Nothing wrong with the others but Vancouver is a cosmopolitan city but not really different than other North American locales. Tokyo is crowded (as is London) and lots to see, but if you get outside the city and don't read Japanese, its more of a challenge. I thought London more fun.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:52 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer2009 View Post
Thanks again for the answers everyone. I am open to other suggestion to other foreign countries.

My budget is about $2000 which includes airfare and staying at a hostel. I will either go in my spring break in April or in the beginning of June for about at least two weeks when school is over.
If your budget is only $2 grand, then go to Van. You can really stretch your money further there than with the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel