Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:24 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,286,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
As a dog owner, you might be interested in a cool pet store in the quaint little town of Cambria. I can't remember the name of it, but it was on the main street and had organic this/that and a lot of wonderful original art. I bought a cute handmade mastiff figurine there.

Sidenote: the day my aunt and uncle met me for a visit in San Francisco, we went to the John Muir Woods and a coyote was trotting along the Golden Gate Bridge.
Ooh, I'm going to have to look it up! Whenever we travel in the states (or Canada), we find a local pet store and buy our dogs something. They come to expect it after every trip! I found one in Napa that I just love and have been back many times since!

Glad you mentioned Muir Woods, we wanted to see it when we were there over Labor Day but traffic was insane in the city so we didn't. Is it worth a trip? It looks so cool from pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 01:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Ooh, I'm going to have to look it up! Whenever we travel in the states (or Canada), we find a local pet store and buy our dogs something. They come to expect it after every trip! I found one in Napa that I just love and have been back many times since!

Glad you mentioned Muir Woods, we wanted to see it when we were there over Labor Day but traffic was insane in the city so we didn't. Is it worth a trip? It looks so cool from pictures!
For me, Muir Woods was great. We got a little map and walked for about an hour. It is *not* a huge park, they don't have a 'drive-through' tree, but there are a lot of beautiful redwoods. There were a fair amount of people there but it wasn't super-crowded.
I think we paid $5 to get in? Maybe we were lucky with the traffic, it was a breeze for us.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,837 times
If your going to drive the cal coast, I would take the time and go all the way up on 1 threw Mendocino and Ft Bragg then north accross, can't remember the highway number but drops you back in near Leggett on 101 and on north to Eureaka, and lastly Crescent city, you see lots of redwoods and the ocean up north is a whole lot rougher then southern cal..When we were kids in Napa, my family camped on the north coast its just neat..
From Crescent city hope across to Grants Pass and I-5 on home from there..Its a lot of driving but thats is seeing California's unbelieveabley beautiful coast line...
If you do this in the summer bring jackets it can get cold up there..
well thats my 2 cents worth.
also the elk herds too along the way...

Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
Quote:
It's worth a trip to see but you'll probably be done in about an hour or two since it is a small place.
If you see vertigo or sea sick, this may happen. The road up we took (not sure if there is any other roads up to it) was very curvy and is narrow and some spots do not have guard rails. I couldn't drive up there; I only have plain road driving experience.
P.S. If your hubby is giving you a hard time, you can stick him inside one of the trees for a time out!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
It's worth a trip to see but you'll probably be done in about an hour or two since it is a small place.
That's perfect, because we won't have much time for that area! My friend from Jersey is meeting us for the trip. She came to Napa/SF in Sept. and wanted to do this drive with us. We missed a couple of things in SF/Napa, so after we finish those we plan on just making our way down!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
I've drive from the Oregon border all the way to the Mexican border a few times.

Catch the sunset from Pismo Beach.
Redwood National Park north of Eureka is amazing.
I second Morro Bay.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Solvang is a neat Dutch city to visit and explore.
Nope ... it is supposedly Danish, but all the souvenirs are *made in China* ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
If you're only going to drive one way fly to SF rent a car and drive South. That way you'll be on the Pacific side of the PCH. You'll have a much better view and you won't have to cross over traffic for the pull outs.
Now there is one perfect suggestion !!!

BTW, plenty of good camping along the way also.
Just take your time, and please ...
Do not just drive so many miles and then take a picture of yourself next to your car....
Everybody who knows you , also knows what you look like ...

Old 01-08-2011, 07:14 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Nope ... it is supposedly Danish, but all the souvenirs are *made in China*
Sorry my bad, yes it's Danish. Hmmm, aren't all the souvenirs at most tourist stops anywhere in the US made overseas.

Even though I haven't been there for years I'd still recommend Solvang as a interesting stop along the way. It is/was quite different from the norm.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post

BTW, plenty of good camping along the way also.
Just take your time, and please ...
Do not just drive so many miles and then take a picture of yourself next to your car....
Everybody who knows you , also knows what you look like ...
Yea, um, no camping for this city girl! I went once and vowed to never, ever, ever again! Not my thing, I'll stick to hotels!

And I rarely am in pictures anymore. I'm hugely into photography and take more landscape shots than anything, using my Tokina 11-16mm wide-angle lens. Humans don't look so good in wide-angle!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
Yea, um, no camping for this city girl! I went once and vowed to never, ever, ever again! Not my thing, I'll stick to hotels!

And I rarely am in pictures anymore. I'm hugely into photography and take more landscape shots than anything, using my Tokina 11-16mm wide-angle lens. Humans don't look so good in wide-angle!
You sleep under five stars, not five million.

(I stole that from my son, he said that about me one time when someone was trying to talk me into camping.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel