Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times

Advertisements

I am planning on going to Yellowstone National park driving on I-90 then driving south into the park. Does anyone know any cheap stays on the way in. Even if it is about 50 or more miles from the entrance. Any info. will be helpful.

Also any safe place on the way in where one can sleep in the vehicle like a rest area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
"cheap" and "yellowstone" in high tourist season doesn't happen.

This is one of the most visited tourist attractions/parks in the USA, and the local seasonal businesses that depend upon tourists make their living from this during the months that the park is open/accessible.

Expect to see motel rates in the low-mid $100/night rate for lower end motels.

Your only other viable option is to camp out at a campground, if you are equipped to do so. Private campgrounds will still be pricey ...

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-01-2011 at 06:54 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
If this interests you...
We went to Yellowstone last October, 2nd week, great weather, no crowds and stayed in motel in West Yellowstone at $65.00 night.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:43 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
I tent camped at Osen's RV park and Campground in Livingston, MT a year or two ago. At that time, cost was somewhere around $20 or $22 per night, and included amenities such as showers, flush toilets, and wifi access. The grounds were pleasant and well kept. If I were in need of a place to stay in the area, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:49 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
If on I-90 why not just try Bozeman? Easy range of the north entrance. On two October trips found motel rates to be reasonable. Unsure of prices during the peak June-September period, have never visited YNP in the summer.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Since you are entering from the North... BE SURE to use Beartooth Highway IN or Out. Beartooth Highway - Wyoming

I have 'stealthcamped' numerous times in and out of the park. This is often necessary due to everything being full. While it is easiest to do on a bike or motorcycle (hide behind / under a tree), I have done several times with a vehicle. I scope out a few spots during the day, and 'slip in' under the cover of darkness. OR just use a parking lot space at hotel as a sleeping spot. Mammoth has lots of parking spots for a good night's sleep. You can shower at the Lodge for $4 (Last I paid). They are used to this stuff.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:23 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times
Stealth,
thanks for the info. I will be driving east out of Wa. And into Mt. So I will be driving through Bozeman before heading south probably through Gardiner on the way in. Any spots around that area, or do you recommend beartooth Hwy once I am in the park.

Any additional info. that you can provide on that route will be appreciated.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:01 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
Whenever my family (when I was a kid - 20-25 years ago) vacationed at Yellowstone, we rented a condo at the Island Park Village resort. This is in Idaho, southwest of West Yellowstone, Montana. Idaho was usually overlooked by people vacationing in Yellowstone.

Last year, I visited for the first time in 16 years, and because I was alone, I just rented a motel room in Jackson, Wyoming. The room was $89 -- cheap for Jackson -- but the motel had overbooked, so they placed me in the handicapped-access room. In retrospect, I should have looked north in Montana or west in Idaho. The park itself is a total zoo in the summer. Your primary roads from north and south, especially south, are packed. Whenever a deer wanders by the road, 50 cars instantly stop and a hundred people run across the highway with cameras in hand.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I am planning on going to Yellowstone National park driving on I-90 then driving south into the park. Does anyone know any cheap stays on the way in. Even if it is about 50 or more miles from the entrance. Any info. will be helpful.

Also any safe place on the way in where one can sleep in the vehicle like a rest area.
Yellowstone National Park - Campgrounds in Yellowstone (U.S. National Park Service)

In Yellowstone, there are camp sites for $12 to $20

And there are quite a few outside Yellowstone:

Yellowstone National Park - Campgrounds Outside Yellowstone (U.S. National Park Service)

As far as rest areas where you can pull over and sleep for a while, any that aren't secluded and vacant are good. If no one else is there then stay away but if you see a dozen or so trucks and at least some cars then you're fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel