Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,664 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm new to City-Data. I've enjoyed reading the threads for years and have gained helpful advice, but this is my first actual post.

I'm moving from NYC to Denver in a few weeks. I'll have 22 ft. Penske and car trailer in tow. My biggest worry is trying to find nice hotels that will have ample parking for my truck/trailer. I'd prefer to stay at proper hotels as opposed to motels, if possible.

I've been focusing my searches on rural areas along I-80 in western PA, central IL, and central NE, that have easy access to/from the interstate. I'm also trying to be mindful of finding larger lots that will not require backing up, that are well-lit, and not too remote.

Does anyone have any hotels they've had favorable experiences at / would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Once you get out of NYC you need to change your way of thinking about "proper hotels as opposed to motels." There's nothing improper about good motels. They're called MOtels because they're geared to motorists, which is what you'll be. Most of the better ones will be near the interstate's exits.

If you're concerned about your safety, I'd pick those away from major cities. The smaller the town, the safer. At least that's been my experience.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:38 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
Depending on how far you plan to drive in one day~the Cranbury exit of PA tpk. has several hotels that would fit your needs and they are all within easy access to the turnpike. If you are staying on 80 the whole way, in Ohio it becomes the Ohio tpk. The Streetsboro exit (southeast of Cleveland) has any number of great places to stay that would provide you with parking and easy in/out as well as on/off the highway. We've been traveling this route for 25 years and just discovered the Streetsboro exit and options. We will definitely be stopping there more frequently when we make the regular trip.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_jetsetter View Post
I'm moving from NYC to Denver in a few weeks. I'll have 22 ft. Penske and car trailer in tow. My biggest worry is trying to find nice hotels that will have ample parking for my truck/trailer. I'd prefer to stay at proper hotels as opposed to motels, if possible.

I've been focusing my searches on rural areas along I-80 in western PA, central IL, and central NE, that have easy access to/from the interstate. I'm also trying to be mindful of finding larger lots that will not require backing up, that are well-lit, and not too remote.

Does anyone have any hotels they've had favorable experiences at / would recommend?
First, you situation is not unusual. You need to stay along the interstate to find properties that have the necessary room to park your truck and trailer.

In Central Illinois, I-80 hits the southern suburbs of Chicago. After Chicago, the Peru area has a few smaller places midstate. You don't get a lot of choice until you hit the Quad Cities on the western border with Iowa.

My recommendation in generally the Country Inn and Suites. It is a small chain run by Minneapolis based Carlson and generally fairly new and well kept.

In Central Nebraska, you will generally want to stop at Kearney or Grand Island. The Country Inn in Kearney is pretty good and is a place where we have stopped several times.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
You'll find a number of new Hampton Inns in Western PA with easy access to I-80. I'd suggest the one at 4 Hospital Drive, Clarion, PA. It's brand new and less than half a mile off the Interstate, as well as a number of restaurants within walking distance. I stayed there about five months ago and was totally satisfied.

The parking lot wraps around the hotel, so you should be able to park easily without backing up. If for some reason the lot is full, there's a mall right next door that would give you added parking options.

It's a "hotel" style with interior corridors, and also offer free breakfast. Very safe area.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:53 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Miss_Jetsetter, parking your "rig" shouldn't be a problem; as Annerk noted above, most motels & hotels have parking lots and/or roads that go all the way around the building (think: tour busses) All you need to do is park so that you can get out. (keep somone from being able to park in front of your truck)

Have a safe, fun trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel