Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:12 PM

445 posts, read 864,874 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to Carmel? I heard it's really beautiful. Does it sound like a good weekend trip for people who live in Southern California? Do you have a favorite place to stay there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 05:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
I'm also interested in more info regarding Carmel and whether it is feasible to combine it with a trip to Monterey for someone without a car.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
Has anyone been to Carmel? I heard it's really beautiful. Does it sound like a good weekend trip for people who live in Southern California? Do you have a favorite place to stay there?

Yes, it's very beautiful and it would be a very good weekend trip from Southern CA. We lived in OC for many decades and we drove up to Carmel very often (half a dozen times a year.) We stayed in various places over the years, meaning any hotel with the best rate at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'm also interested in more info regarding Carmel and whether it is feasible to combine it with a trip to Monterey for someone without a car.

Flying is the best way. Other than fly, you could take Amtrak from Los Angeles to Salinas, then bus from Salinas to either Monterey or Carmel. Busses also run between Monterey and Carmel. It would be a very long and tiring trip though.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 PM

Stickytoffee -- If you are driving, you should make time to stop at Rocky Point restaurant on Hwy 1, 10 miles outside of Carmel, and have your camera ready.

http://www.rocky-point.com/

Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Yes, it's very beautiful and it would be a very good weekend trip from Southern CA. We lived in OC for many decades and we drove up to Carmel very often (half a dozen times a year.) We stayed in various places over the years, meaning any hotel with the best rate at the time.

Flying is the best way. Other than fly, you could take Amtrak from Los Angeles to Salinas, then bus from Salinas to either Monterey or Carmel. Busses also run between Monterey and Carmel. It would be a very long and tiring trip though.
Oh ... I would definitely fly but once I'm in the area, would it be feasible to do both in the same trip via public transit?

Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 PM

445 posts, read 864,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Stickytoffee -- If you are driving, you should make time to stop at Rocky Point restaurant on Hwy 1, 10 miles outside of Carmel, and have your camera ready.

http://www.rocky-point.com/
So beautiful. I wrote this down in my travel journal. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Oh ... I would definitely fly but once I'm in the area, would it be feasible to do both in the same trip via public transit?
Yep.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:48 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
We live in San Diego and go at least once a year. We prefer Monterey, though but Carmel is nice as well.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Charles in PGI, how do you figure one could get around Carmel (and area) and Monterey by public transit?

In my mind and experience, getting around the Carmel area and Monterey area both require a car and driving?

Could you explain what you had in mind regarding getting around by public transit? Perhaps one could take a Greyhound Bus or equivalent to Monterey or Carmel, but once in the area, a car is definitely needed.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
Charles in PGI, how do you figure one could get around Carmel (and area) and Monterey by public transit?

In my mind and experience, getting around the Carmel area and Monterey area both require a car and driving?

Could you explain what you had in mind regarding getting around by public transit? Perhaps one could take a Greyhound Bus or equivalent to Monterey or Carmel, but once in the area, a car is definitely needed.

From Moonstone Hotel's website: "Monterey-Salinas Transit (MST) provide public transportation throughout Carmel and the Monterey Peninsula... The towns on the Monterey Peninsula are close together, so you may want to consider public transportation. Bus transportation is available from Carmel to the main towns on the Monterey Peninsula and to points beyond."

MST website shows Line 5 and 7 buses run between Monterey Conference Center and downtown Carmel: Route List | Monterey-Salinas Transit

Within Carmel, there is MST Trolley: http://www.mst.org/wp-content/media/...melTrolley.pdf

Also from MST website: "The WAVE is a waterfront area visitor express bus service operating during the summer, May 31 - September 1, in historic Monterey, Cannery Row, Pacific Grove, with connections to Carmel." http://www.mst.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel