Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I stayed at the Thistle Victoria Station last year- it's about 2 blocks from Buckingham Palace and you don't need to step outside to get on the tube...... I spent 9 nights there and it was under $1,000 USD
I've never stayed there but have heard good things about the Thistle Victoria Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 06:55 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
It was nice- although I don't think many British hotels compare to US Hotels as far as star ratings go.

It was older, the water pressure wasn't the greatest. But it was clean and very convenient and affordable.

Thistle is a chain over there similar to Hilton here.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 AM

103 posts, read 392,159 times
I think those information will be help you ,but I just suggest you visit some websites in internet,it will be useful.ha ha

Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
Last year we visited London for 5 days. I've been there in 1999, too. So I know how bad some accomodations can be. But the hotel we stayed in last year was really great. It was the Hogarth London Hotel and it was a really nice stay. We had a beautiful bathroom and a big plasma TV and a very comfortable bed. It's not a very big hotel but the prices were good (4 nights about 320 USD). The hotel's in the Kensington district and pretty quiet and within a 2 minutes walking distance of Earl's Court tube station. You also have several nice restaurants around (Chinese, Italian, English) and also bakeries, etc.

I hope you enjoy you're trip!

Old 08-22-2007, 07:17 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,500 times
When we went, we got a good place from Hotels.com. It was small, definitely a budget place, but nice for the money.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:22 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,424 times
Whereever you end up staying, I'd suggest London Hotels: Read London Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor for real reviews (not spamming--I just find this is an awesome site for 'real' reviews).

It really depends a lot on your budget. Thistle's are pretty cheap, but also small and some are a bit louder than others. Depends a lot on where you want to stay.

The Hoxton is getting some rave reviews, and sometimes you can get some pretty cheap prices (£100 a night, which is cheap for London). If you really want to go budget, there is always the 'Easy' hotel run by the EasyJet/EasyInternet/EasyEverything group. It's basically a bed and not much more, but very very cheap.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:42 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
I agree- TripAdvisor is a MUST for me when booking a trip. Especially out of the country and most especially in the caribbean. The reviews are written by the public- nobody is paid to say good stuff.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:09 AM

It's funny how Tripadvisor reviews can vary.
One person's palatial Parisian hotel is another person's hovel. Sometimes this is because months or years have passed, but not always.
I just sort of try to see what the reviewer's frame of reference is and judge from there. In Europe I am always backpacking, so we just do the occasional splurge there.

eurocheapo is good too, for no-frills bargain basement prices (not always easy to find in London.)

As Mexi said, hostels can be very cheap and many of them are very clean.
Sometimes a nice clean hostel turns out to be better than a 2-star hotel, but sometimes it is the other way around.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
It's funny how Tripadvisor reviews can vary.
One person's palatial Parisian hotel is another person's hovel.
Yes, that does happen. However, I often find that from the reviews you can learn about the person's experience and what made it negative, and then have a better idea if it was a reflection of the hotel, the staff, or something else.

I've seen some reviews say "this place was horrible" because they ran out of rooms and sent them to another hotel. Or reviews that said 'never stay here' simply because they didn't like the breakfast.

You kind of have to read between the lines.

Still, it's a good resource. I especially like 'guest photos' as that shows you what the room really looks like, not the prepped and primmed one in the company pictures.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinSix View Post

You kind of have to read between the lines.

Still, it's a good resource. I especially like 'guest photos' as that shows you what the room really looks like, not the prepped and primmed one in the company pictures.
Oh, definitely Tripadvisor is a good resource, and yeah you just have to read between the lines sometimes to attempt to get the real story. Pics are very helpful, I agree.
I just don't think Trip is the *only* resource, and sometimes hostels work better for me, and actually hostels occasionally are listed at Tripadvisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel