Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
??? Not sure I understand that. I travel to Germany every year and never had to do so. Not in a West part of Germany or East, or even when the East side was still communistic...
Heres an excerpt from Austria - Wikitravel

Austrian law requires anyone to register at their resident address, even if it's only for one night and even if it's a campsite.

Hotels will therefore ask you to hand over your passport or driving license and may refuse to give you accommodation if you don't have any ID on you. Don't worry too much about handing over your passport. In many countries, such a practice would raise concerns, but in Austria, it's a standard procedure. Your passport will be returned.

If you stay in private accommodation for longer than about two weeks, you should obtain a document of registration (Meldezettel) from the local registration authority (Bezirksamt or Meldeamt), usually located in the town hall. This document needs to be signed by the owner or tenant of your accommodation. Failure to present this document upon departure could cause difficulties if you have stayed in the country for more than two or three months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Well, yes, a cup of espresso at a table on St Mark's Square in Venice cost $20, but it's foolish to pay that price. Go inside the bar, stand at the counter like everyone else and pay $2 for the same cup of espresso. It's the same in Paris. If you want to occupy a table *on the sidewalk*, then you pay the price. If you want to be among the locals and listen in to their conversation, then you do as the locals do and pay a fraction of the cost.

The last time we were in Paris, the Euro was at $1.57. Our breakfast for two (sitting at an inside table) cost us 14 Euro ($22).

I don't think so. Up until the winter of 2008 when we moved back to the States, we paid between $100 and $150 a day for two people in all the European countries we visited, not including airfares, but meals, accommodation, local transportation, and an odd entry fee here and there were included. We paid a bit more ($175) in Norway, for the high cost of seeing the fjords. Even in expensive London, we stayed in many decent hotels for 55-65 pounds per night for two people, so our budget was intact every day except when we went to a show.
Charles,

All good points and very valuable travel lessons. I didn't know anything about Venice, when I went there last year (will be there in a few months). I spent ALOT of time reading travel tips on Tripadvisor and learned just what you pointed out.

However, ALOT of people blindly jump into things and do not plan it out. Then they complain about being "ripped off," when had they spent a few days reading, it could have saved them large sums of money, and alot of heartache.

I kind of guess, its one of the reasons social media has its place (oh, that hurt to say, since I am no fan of Facebook, etc).

Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
You said that most males with healthy libidos have sex as one of the primary motives behind their travel, and now you're saying that you should expect to pay at least $250 a day to travel on a budget through Europe? Like last time, I think that's a little exaggerated.

I went to Spain alone in 2008, when the Euro was at its peak ($1.60 = 1 euro), during May and June, and scarcely spent more than $100 a day. Some days I probably only spent $60.
I do not think think most males with healthy libidos have sex as their primary motive behind travel ... the comment was directed at a young single fellow in his early 20's: and the opportunity to have a "romantic encounter" is likely to be a secondary or tertiary interest when he takes a vacation to a tropical destination for single 20-somethings; but not necessary the primary motivation for his trip.

As far as Spain is concerned, you have to admit that Spain is cheaper than most European destinations (that's why so many working class Brits holiday in places like Benidorm). Even if a traveler wants to take in the more expensive cities like Paris, Copenhagen, Rome, Geneva, Venice one would end up spending much less than $250 a day if they shop around for group tours and package deals. What I meant is if you were doing it on your own, to can easily spend $250 a day in the capitals of Europe.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I do not think think most males with healthy libidos have sex as their primary motive behind travel ... the comment was directed at a young single fellow in his early 20's: and the opportunity to have a "romantic encounter" is likely to be a secondary or tertiary interest when he takes a vacation to a tropical destination for single 20-somethings; but not necessary the primary motivation for his trip.

As far as Spain is concerned, you have to admit that Spain is cheaper than most European destinations (that's why so many working class Brits holiday in places like Benidorm). Even if a traveler wants to take in the more expensive cities like Paris, Copenhagen, Rome, Geneva, Venice one would end up spending much less than $250 a day if they shop around for group tours and package deals. What I meant is if you were doing it on your own, to can easily spend $250 a day in the capitals of Europe.
I agree completely... research ahead of time is easy to do.

A very good friend of mine just came back and he was kind of bitter about Switzerland and the lake region of Italy... he said the prices were outrageous... but, then again... he stayed in the top hotels in the heart of the old districts during peak season...

One of the Hotels had a Sunday Brunch that cost $80 a person... all the bacon and eggs and crab you could eat... it is something I wouldn't do.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Quote:
Even if a traveler wants to take in the more expensive cities like Paris, Copenhagen, Rome, Geneva, Venice one would end up spending much less than $250 a day if they shop around for group tours and package deals. What I meant is if you were doing it on your own, to can easily spend $250 a day in the capitals of Europe.

Again, not really. After 40+ years of travel, most of them in Europe -- never with a group or a tour, and only one time with a package deal air+hotel (to Iceland) -- we knew we spent a lot less money than most tour groups charged. As I mentioned before, we spent less than $150 a day for both of us in 22 European capital cities and many expensive cities including all the ones you cited; the only place where we spent $175 was in Norway, and it was not a large city.

We stayed in local inns, (never hostels -- after one very clean but very noisy hostel in Ireland, my husband refused to step foot in another one), B&B, or rent apartments from individuals through the Internet. We ate where the locals did by asking landlords and shop clerks which restaurants *they* frequented, and even waiters where *they* would go on their days off. When our accommodation was an apartment, we shopped at local groceries or open markets and cooked our own meals. Even for sightseeing, we did not rely on tour books, we asked the locals which ones they had seen, and which ones *they* liked the best.

We traveled frugally, but with the budget we had, we ate well and we slept well. We just didn't spend our money as wide-eyed tourists. Yes, we could "easily spend $250 a day" (which is $500 for two), but why should we? That extra $350 a day would serve us well toward two more trips.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 08-15-2011 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 10:33 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:

You can, but you do not necessarily have to. "Budget travel" entails staying at one/two-star hotels or youth hostels, being frugal in one's dining (perhaps even self-catering at times), taking advantage of discounts for attractions and transit, perhaps planning transportation arrangements ahead of time rather than buying tickets on the spot to save money, etc. (And I'm not talking about group tours, either). You could probably survive on $60 - $80 / day in the cities you mentioned.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:41 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
A lot of people have commented on the high price of EU capitals...of course the actual amount varies with all of us but I won't deny this point. What I'd recommend to someone only going for a week or 2 would be to identify one country or region that really interests you. Not only will you gain a better appreciation for that culture but you'll save money getting out of the major cities. For example, if you have your heart set on Italy let Rome be the only capital you visit and visit other cities like Bologna, Florence, and Naples. I recommend staying in one of the suburbs of Naples. You should have easy access to Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius, and your neighborhood should have some really good family pizza places.

I spent 21 days seeing all the major capitals and medium-sized cities I could, as well as some hiking and other things. It was a blast but you really don't appreciate them as much and spend more money on higher-priced food and accommodation.

This doesn't apply to Switzerland. That whole country is expensive!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
After reading many of the responses in the Americans and Foreign Travel Thread: Americans and Foreign Travel ... I have a question for folks who thinks that Americans can travel cheaply in Europe ... HOW is it possible?

Aside from staying in hostels and other questionable motels (which I refuse to do due to safety and privacy concerns), how can Americans afford a European vacation when the currency rates does not favor Americans? Also, Please refrain from posting any drivel about cutting back on expenses as I, for one, have very few expenses and do not even own a car nor pay for cable TV! Thank you!
The obvious answer - get a job with international travel. Lots of americans traveling around Europe on an expense account than you think.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:39 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I like the idea of working with a travel agent as opposed to doing a group tour as the trip can be tailored around my specific needs/wishes. My concern is roaming around Europe solo and becoming victim of scam artists. During my recent trip to NYC, I was able to blend in due to my research, etc but in Europe, I can research itineraries and customs to death but my American accent and lack of fluency in another language would be a dead giveaway that I'm a tourist. I just feel safer with a group versus solo ... at least for my very first trip.
First of all, the handy dandiest thing I've found on the net for comparing airfares--get on at least every 3 days for a couple of months and you'll know exactly what's a good deal. Also play around with departure dates and such:http://www.cheapticketlinks.org/

I don't think you need to worry about that as much as you think. Just keep your wits about you and don't be flashy, but it doesn't sound like you're like that. Honestly, a big city in Europe isn't that much different from NYC in terms of safety and guidebooks will tell you which scams to look for in which places. The main thing to watch out for is people who approach and act too friendly--that always makes my senses tingle, and esp if it's in a place like a train station. Don't be too paranoid either--we once had a very nice couple from Reading, England go all the way to Oxford with us to show us how to get where we were going b/c the train schedule was such a shambles that day. Then they called the next morning to see if we'd made it! So much for British snobbery.

As for fluency in another language: learn the polite words and use them liberally--people really appreciate the effort and if you know any more of the language--maybe some German from a couple of high school classes, do try to use it. You won't look like a fool and people will open up to you and try to talk your ear off while using hand motions and a few English words to make their point and you'll be surprised by what you understand. Anyway, mistakes are fun too--I once asked for a brotkin (bread roll) in Austria and pronounced it phonetically even though it has an umlaut, and got a lot of giggles and sly looks but was glad that I was able to entertain. If anyone can tell me what that means. . .

Cheapness also depends on what kinds of travel experiences you're looking for. Eastern Europe is cheaper than W. Europe, and places that are known for their beaches will be cheaper inland. Examples: Greece and Croatia. If you're interested in a farmstay, you can wwoof (google that), and not all youth hostels are dives or exclusively for youth. The main advantage of these is that you can cook in their kitchen and save money on restaurants. That was esp important in Spain where even a burger joint was more expensive than a fancy restaurant here but we cooked and ate very well for much less there. Even if you plan to eat out all the time, you really should check out the grocery stores--they were always interesting and I'm betting you'll get all your souvenirs there. If you're willing to share a bathroom, you can get cheaper rates at any hotel also. (I am willing to do that to save money! And they're not all nasty either.)

Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post

It is inconvenient but that law has its uses. In Germany and Austria, one needs to have the property owner or hotel to register you with the police with you presenting yourself at the district police station -for a stay that's three days or above . They traced some of the September 11 terrorists in Hamburg through the Meldezettel .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Heres an excerpt from Austria - Wikitravel

Austrian law requires anyone to register at their resident address, even if it's only for one night and even if it's a campsite.

Hotels will therefore ask you to hand over your passport or driving license and may refuse to give you accommodation if you don't have any ID on you. Don't worry too much about handing over your passport. In many countries, such a practice would raise concerns, but in Austria, it's a standard procedure. Your passport will be returned.

If you stay in private accommodation for longer than about two weeks, you should obtain a document of registration (Meldezettel) from the local registration authority (Bezirksamt or Meldeamt), usually located in the town hall. This document needs to be signed by the owner or tenant of your accommodation. Failure to present this document upon departure could cause difficulties if you have stayed in the country for more than two or three months.
It might be the law in Austria, but I didn't experienced that in Germany.
Not "presenting yourself at the district police station" .
Giving passport or Drivers License in a hotel ( to make a copy ) is normal procedure pretty much all over the Europe. In Germany, I usually stay in a hotel, or rent an apartment for several days and never had to go myself to district police station to get registered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel