Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 09:13 AM

172 posts, read 471,431 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to drive from Ohio to LA this winter with our 3 kids. We have a hybrid travel trailer and our kids are all under age 6. I think this is a crazy idea and the possible road conditions scare me. I think my husband is just really itching to get on the road for 2 weeks like we use to do before we were married with children. We talk about doing these kind of road trips again once our kids are a bit older(and in summer) but he is ready to do it now. I would rather fly and have some time to relax once in LA area. He likes the idea of the trip itself as a family. Thoughts? Experiences driving in winter with rv and kids? Just looking for other opinions to share with my husband in hopes of keeping things in perspective for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 09:25 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
If your (his) plan is to go from A (OH) to B (LA/CA) without 'stopping' along the way, I would fly. But cost/time value need to be factored in. 5 airplane tix would be up in the $2K range + rental car on LA side. The great road trip with the kids should be done in the summer, when the yougest is about 7/8 years old. Stopping for a 2/3 days in each place then moving on. to SPEND 2 week in a car each day would be a bad trip.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:08 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,613 times
Traveling with that many young children is going to be a lot of "fun"

I think the guy is crazy, myself.

If you are really going to do this,
You can plan, realistically, to make about 300-400 miles a day. A lot depends on how well your kids travel.
Your hubby is going to expect to make 500-600 miles and will quickly become frustrated.

What do you mean by "hybrid travel trailer" ?

Old 11-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
How many days for this trip? Purpose? Visit family, see the sun, relax on beach?

Winter is not a great time to travel with a trailer, nor cross country w/ kids (Tho the southern RTE (I-40 0r 10) would likely be doable.)

I like to drive at night and take long breaks in the day at parks / swimming pool / playgrounds where one spouse can sleep, and the other watch the kids. A close family friend always drove at night and rented motel during day (cheaper) where kids could swim.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I always thought traveling with kids was very easy and great fun. See to it that every day has something in it that is just for them---something to look forward to and to talk about afterwards.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:59 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
Keep a very close eye on the weather conditions and stay to a southernly route if possible. Also if you aren't going to LA for a specific reason maybe the Southeast coast would be a nice trip without so much driving.

I saw a posting a while ago about traveling with kids and the suggestion was to map out the McDonalds that have play areas for the kids to get out of the car and expend some energy.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:26 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Traveling with your kids is part of parenting. It's a great bonding exercise and creates shared stories for later in life. The kids will love it.

Yes, pulling a trailer in the winter isn't a very good idea, but it's doable if you're careful and not pressed for time.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Cross country camping trip in winter with 3 kids?
Madness!
First off most of the campsites and attractions are going to be closed for winter.
All the scenery is going to be a dull drab grey color,
Winter snow storms could have you holed up for days.
Kids will be bored to tears as they dont do scenery any way.
Where ever you stop its going to be cold.
Is your vehicle equipped with snow tires as going over the mountains in winter can be hazardous if you arent prepared.
2 weeks? not enough time to do it in camping mode.
Plan-B forget the camper, load up the car and B-line it to Florida,stay in a cheap hotel on a beach.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
books on tape and radio kid dramas kept us entertained for MANY many road trips with kids.

A VW camper van adds to the 'bonding / war stories' ... Our kids got squirt guns in lieu of AC. Many a 'on-road' bailing wire repair. NO FIRES (for us). Most of our friends were left beside the road watching a crispy critter flame out. The rear engine helps keep down the wails from the kids. (Ours cried for 4 days straight when they finally wore out on a 7000 mile road trip (in diapers and car seats). They were happy to get home.

We did ~ 20,000km (winter) road miles in Europe during a 6 month 'field trip'. (towns are pretty close).

But, winter in USA... have done it plenty, but I don't like the extra tension of being responsible for passengers (especially my spouse and kids). Tho I am a commercial driver and spend many a day in blizzards / ice and attending to accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel