Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:52 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times

Advertisements

Of Course I have regretted taking a trip

One time we went to the Wisconsin Dells got there and checked into the Hotel and then looked around

After seeing the tourist trap we left stayed for about an hour

I look back and probably should have given it more time
but i guess after the drive and how hot it was we just were not in the mood for that type of atmosphere
never been back since 13 years now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Hmm... once I thought I did, but have since come to realize that I don't regret it.

I was planning a trip, deciding between Moscow/St. Petersburg, India or East Africa and in the end went to Moscow. The people weren't just rude, they were outright mean. I couldn't go to St. Petersburg because the woman at the ticket kiosk at the train station just didn't feel like selling tickets. I saw her dismiss people. Their attitude really got to me and I ended up going to the airport to have them change my ticket so I could go home early (first time that I have EVER left a vacation early,) but the woman there didn't want to do it for me.

While I would NEVER go to Russia again, I realize now that if I hadn't gone I would still want to go. In other words, I wanted that experience and now I have it. I got good stories out of it, I can say I did it and I have crossed it off my list of places to see before I die. In the end, I don't feel it's right of me to regret that trip.
I can relate- Sometimes the travel will just make you in a bad mood and all you would like is the comfort of home.

in the end you realize you just missed a great opportunity and regret not soaking in the atmosphere.

Then later you realize how lucky you were to go to such a far away place
kicking your self for not seizing the opportunity.

That is the way I see it maybe you do not see it that way but i do

Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
My wife and daughter wanted a sun filled vacation not too far from home and we went to Southern Spain- Marbella.

I did manage to get away to a couple of interesting places away from that god forsaken place and will never go to a place where people go to get a tan.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:

While I would NEVER go to Russia again, I realize now that if I hadn't gone I would still want to go. In other words, I wanted that experience and now I have it..
I have a friend who uses the expression "I got it behind me".

------

I can't think of anywhere I ever went that I regretted going to. But a few times I went on day-tours, because it was the only way to get to certain places of interesting geography, culture or natural history, and I quickly learned that they are always disappointing. In most cases, they don't let you out of the bus long enough at any one stop to be able to do anything you might want to do on your own.

After considerable thought, I can only think of one. My wife and I were in Dublin for a few days, and hitchhiked across Ireland to Galway and back. That was a pretty uninspiring couple of days that I wish I'd spent doing something else.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-02-2011 at 07:06 AM..

Old 10-02-2011, 07:14 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
I've only regretted part of a trip - our last holiday, to Bali. We spent 6 days in Ubud and 3 in Seminyak. Loved Ubud, hated Seminyak and regretted wasting 3 days there. It would have been better to spend the entire 9 days in Ubud.

I let myself get talking into adding Seminyak to the itinerary when, initially, I had only wanted to go to Ubud. The holiday was overall fantastic and I loved the four of us (husband, son, daughter and I) being together for that time, but Seminyak was tacky, congested, and didn't feel like Bali. At least the food was good.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:05 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I am always excited to plan a trip, but usually start to have regrets as I leave home. Most of that is because we are leaving our pets behind. We went two years with no pets and I had no problem leaving home but was always very happy to get back home. I have only been on one cruise, which was Philly to Bermuda. I found the cruise to be extremely boring. It took us 2.5 hours to get from Philly to Delaware City, DE (a 45 minute drive) and by the time we got to the area of our home, I was really ready to get off the ship.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I can relate- Sometimes the travel will just make you in a bad mood and all you would like is the comfort of home.

in the end you realize you just missed a great opportunity and regret not soaking in the atmosphere.

Then later you realize how lucky you were to go to such a far away place
kicking your self for not seizing the opportunity.

That is the way I see it maybe you do not see it that way but i do
But I did see a lot of Moscow, and I am glad I went because I always wanted to see it. I just wouldn't go again.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
But I did see a lot of Moscow, and I am glad I went because I always wanted to see it. I just wouldn't go again.
If I could afford to go to Russia i would go in a minute.
My travels are pretty much across town these days

Old 10-02-2011, 03:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I will tell you this, don't go with someone unless you know them very well. I went on a trip with some one, and it was really miserable. I wished I had stayed home, I was so miserable.

You can go to a great place and have a bad time if you are with the wrong person.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:23 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
No, I've never regretted any of the trips I've made over the years. Among 49 states in the US and 53 foreign countries I've been to, there were a few places I wouldn't care to visit again, but without the particular trip, I would have never known about the location to decide whether I liked it. Staying home is never an option to me or my husband, since travel is always at the top of all our activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I will tell you this, don't go with someone unless you know them very well. I went on a trip with some one, and it was really miserable. I wished I had stayed home, I was so miserable.

You can go to a great place and have a bad time if you are with the wrong person.
I had the experience once. A good friend whom I thought I knew well asked me to join her and her 13-year-old son on a three-week road trip through Spain. Spending that much of time in close proximity with someone other than your spouse was not a good thing, I later learned. Our friendship ended when we returned home, but luckily, I found enough time on my own during those weeks to enjoy the country fully. My relationship with said friend notwithstanding, I didn't regret making the trip one tiny bit. The things I saw, the places I visited, and the lessons I learned in those weeks became very helpful to our (my husband's and my) subsequent trips to Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel