Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Europe for 35 days. I will be spending five days in London and the rest with mainland Europe from Spain to Germany to Greece. I know I need two different adapters. I plan on only needing to charge my Ipod and digital camera...especially my digital camera!

I'm reading into reviews online and will purchase one soon but I wanted to get some more personal reviews before I buy one.

I purchased one several years ago for Australia and it was awful. I got it from Radioshack. It was so heavy, I had hoist it up with my bags or it would fall off the wall. I don't want to deal with that ordeal again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
You don't need a power converter you need an adapter (or adapters).

Modern chargers take either 110/ 60 or 220/50. Have a look at the labels. Then go to Radio Shack or whatever and get the necessary adapters. You may even find an all-in-one.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
As above say you only need an adapter for things like laptops, ipods phones etc.. You DO NOT need a converter. Charging devices these days can be used almost anywhere. You need an adapter so the plugs fit in. These are very simple just plastic plugs you can get them at wal mart of target etc.. Just make sure you have the right countries.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM

So just the plug adapter and the not the big boxy converter then? I've never heard this before!

Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
As far as I know you need 3 of them ?
The huge English one that looks like a Washer and Dryer should be powered by it ...
Then the two round prongs one that fits almost everywhere else, except in Switzerland where they made a small design change to their receptacles so the regular two round plugs do not fit ...
If you look at Swiss receptacles, they have corners at 45 degree angles that do not allow *normal Schuko Style* plugs to be inserted. Oh well.
Continental European receptacles are recessed (except for The Netherlands) unlike USA receptacles which are always flush.
Note the 45 degree angles on the simple two prong plug (Swiss Ingenuity Circumvented design ... )
Unless the simple plug is really small, it will NOT fit in the Swiss receptacles !!!

Caution if your power cables have grounded plugs ...

Some receptacles have a *male* ground plug (France), which makes it difficult to insert the simple two prong to be inserted ...

Just check all your electrical equipment for the required voltage inputs.
If you do have one appliance that does not have the capability of a 90 - 250 volts input, check the wattage requirement, and make sure your *converter* is larger than the requirement.

Where to get them ?
If Amazon does not have what you want, you do not need it !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Best Travel Converter?-english-monster-02.jpg   Best Travel Converter?-fits-almost-anywhere.jpg   Best Travel Converter?-schuko-style.jpg   Best Travel Converter?-swiss-headache.jpg   Best Travel Converter?-wa9-socketfit.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 03-20-2012 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
So just the plug adapter and the not the big boxy converter then? I've never heard this before!
Correct. I lived in Spain for 5 months and spent time travelling all over Europe.

I had a US Phone (blackberry) Ipod, Laptop Computer and Digital camera which I charged all the time all you need is the adapter. The little plastic plug thing so your plug fits in the wall. You do not need to convert the electricity for modern electronics. Ipod will for sure be fine. If you camera is not more than 5 years old I would see no problem with it either but you can double check by just looking at the charger you should see something that says 100v-240v if its says that you are for sure good to go. No more need to those crazy converters unless you need a blow dryer of something big like that.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Correct. I lived in Spain for 5 months and spent time travelling all over Europe.

I had a US Phone (blackberry) Ipod, Laptop Computer and Digital camera which I charged all the time all you need is the adapter. The little plastic plug thing so your plug fits in the wall. You do not need to convert the electricity for modern electronics. Ipod will for sure be fine. If you camera is not more than 5 years old I would see no problem with it either but you can double check by just looking at the charger you should see something that says 100v-240v if its says that you are for sure good to go. No more need to those crazy converters unless you need a blow dryer of something big like that.
Thanks!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Sometimes you can get these adapters at local hardware stores (or even at some 99 cent/dollar stores) where they are much cheaper to purchase than at the big electronic store chains.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
> I've never heard this before!

The thing is- modern ELECTRONICS makes it possible to design a power converter that can accept a wide range of input voltage for laptops, phones, cameras, etc. etc. You would only need a converter if, for example, you wanted to use a hair dryer (not very electronic). However even for this you would be crazy to buy a converter- it would make more sense to buy a disposable hair dryer.

Look at the nameplate on each item. You know, the fine gray print everyone ignores, along with the patent numbers, and the certifications, ...

Old 03-22-2012, 04:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Just make sure that your devices are 100-240 and get a local converter.
This will ensure that don't fry them. For some strange reason, some items made in the US and specifically for the US market are not 100-240. I can't understand why that is.
You'll need different adapters for GB and continental Europe.

Travel Plug Adapters

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-22-2012 at 04:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel