Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:29 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,425 times

Advertisements

Recently, I have been thinking about taking trip to Europe. Mainly wanted check out Amsterdam but possibly stop at other famous cities like Paris/London.

What I have quickly noticed is how bad (old, small) most of hotel looks even though they are expensive. When I talk about looks, they style of building looks like is from 100 years ago. A lot of hotels are tiny (say 20-40 rooms) in what seem more of residential neighborhood, almost like bed&breakfast type places. Some of Hotels furnishing styles even seem old fashioned instead of having updated features. I am surprised that more hotels here aren't mordern/competary looking.

Seems like even cheap hotel are like $100 in Amsterdam. Probably good/decent 3/4-star hotel is about $150-$200ish, excellent ones running to $300.

Thing in the US, I am usually used getting good deal (say $75) for 3/4-star hotel out in suburbs of a bigger city. Most of hotel I have seen in US look way more modern in exterior and room's furnishing compared some ones I have seen.

Honestly, I am just not used older European style of things. Also, I think there maybe better deals out there than on Expedia/Trip Advisor but not sure where to look. Any suggestions about hotels? What to look and maybe how to get better price on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 03:53 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
What time of year are you going? Going in the off-season would save you quite a bit if you were willing to visit Europe in the Fall or Winter (excl. Christmas).

Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Get a Hostel. I can only highly recommend Hostels. I've stayed at many Hostels myself.

For Hotels, I always used priceline. I did get great deals, but I don't think it was much less than 100 Dollars (4 star). Btw, the buildings ARE "from 100 years ago". Ever been to Paris or London? That's just how it is. Germany, for instance, is different. But only because of WW2.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Get a Hostel. I can only highly recommend Hostels. I've stayed at many Hostels myself.

For Hotels, I always used priceline. I did get great deals, but I don't think it was much less than 100 Dollars (4 star). Btw, the buildings ARE "from 100 years ago". Ever been to Paris or London? That's just how it is. Germany, for instance, is different. But only because of WW2.
Here is the thing, last time went Europe was over 18 years ago when I was 9 years old, so I don't remember a thing. That main reason I want to check out Europe!

You got any details about Hostels or links? Like how is privacy? How safe are you belonging, etc? Those questions always sort of turned me away from them.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Try airbnb.com; bedandbreakfast.com; hotels.com; hotelscombined.com; laterooms.com; hostels.com; venere.com; easytobook.com.

I use airbnb almost exclusively.
Reasonable prices, not your typical accommodations.

Keep in mind that the Netherlands is small and staying in Leiden or Haarlem is only a short train ride away.

If you like clubs, the Milkweg is still up and running.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
You can't compare center of a major city in Europe with the suburban crossroads in the US.

Having said that- there are many really nice small hotels. No reason not to stay in them if you can afford it.

However last time I was in Amsterdam I stayed out of the middle of the city. Meridien Hotel?? It was a tram ride to the train station. It wasn't cheap but I don't remember that it was offensively expensive either. The big chain hotels (Meridien is one) will be searchable on Expedia, etc.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

Hostels work for some but are not the answer for everyone.

OP, yes, hotels in Europe are much more expensive and the rooms are much smaller. Off season is a little cheaper, but Amsterdam is a very expensive city to add insult to injury.

As for priceline, just be careful, some of the better prices are non refundable, so if, for some reason you were unable to take the trip you are up a cheek, and be very careful about taking one of the offers that does not tell you the exact hotel til you have completed the booking, especially when going to Europe. We have used priceline 3 times, once we got a great deal, once we got a good deal, I can't complain and think we did save but once we got a horrible deal. It happened to be here in America, the place was a disaster, the service was awful and we paid (priceline mind you) 50% more than the hotel was being sold for that weekend.
One more bit of advise, remember the rating system in Europe is different than here. A 3 star hotel here would be about a 4 star in Europe and it is unlikely, unless you go off season and are willing to stay outside of town you are going to find much for less than $150 a night.

Nita

Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hostels work for some but are not the answer for everyone.

OP, yes, hotels in Europe are much more expensive and the rooms are much smaller. Off season is a little cheaper, but Amsterdam is a very expensive city to add insult to injury.

As for priceline, just be careful, some of the better prices are non refundable, so if, for some reason you were unable to take the trip you are up a cheek, and be very careful about taking one of the offers that does not tell you the exact hotel til you have completed the booking, especially when going to Europe. We have used priceline 3 times, once we got a great deal, once we got a good deal, I can't complain and think we did save but once we got a horrible deal. It happened to be here in America, the place was a disaster, the service was awful and we paid (priceline mind you) 50% more than the hotel was being sold for that weekend.
One more bit of advise, remember the rating system in Europe is different than here. A 3 star hotel here would be about a 4 star in Europe and it is unlikely, unless you go off season and are willing to stay outside of town you are going to find much for less than $150 a night.

Nita
This is great info on hotel star ratings, thanks a lot. I was wondering how all those 4-star hotels in Europe looked lower class than 4, even 3.5 star ones I have stayed in US (think Marriott). Honestly, my favoriate hotel chain in the US is Marriott, sometimes can get good deal off price line for only $60-$80 a night there! Was hoping to find hotel similar to that in Amsterdam.

Thanks for info guys, I will take a look and see what I can find.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Welcome to Europe! It's like that everywhere. Although when I was in Amsterdam in 2008, prices were more reasonable (thanks to the recession).. about $75 - 100 a night (50 - 80 euros), and about 20-30 euros for a Hostel.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Recently, I have been thinking about taking trip to Europe. Mainly wanted check out Amsterdam but possibly stop at other famous cities like Paris/London.

What I have quickly noticed is how bad (old, small) most of hotel looks even though they are expensive. When I talk about looks, they style of building looks like is from 100 years ago. A lot of hotels are tiny (say 20-40 rooms) in what seem more of residential neighborhood, almost like bed&breakfast type places. Some of Hotels furnishing styles even seem old fashioned instead of having updated features. I am surprised that more hotels here aren't mordern/competary looking.

Seems like even cheap hotel are like $100 in Amsterdam. Probably good/decent 3/4-star hotel is about $150-$200ish, excellent ones running to $300.
In 2010, we stayed in the "Singel Hotel" next to the Singel Canal on Singel Street. (Pretty easy to remember huh?) I don't remember what we paid, but it was not exorbitant. It was in a good location about three or four blocks from the main train station. You might check it out. The web site indicates it is not cheap. Its about $160 a night for a double room this summer.

My experience in Europe, as a whole, is that hotel rooms are small and expensive. I found the room we had in Paris even smaller. The room we got in the Vauxhall section of London was bigger, but not on par with an American hotel even though it was part of a chain that we commonly stay in when we vacation in our own country.

I want to be fair to Europeans. You are talking about staying in large cities with heavy tourist traffic. If you tried to get a room in New York City, you'd end up paying about what it costs to stay in these major European cities. Europeans have a standard of living that is similar to Americans, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that the cost of lodging is the same.

You also have to factor in exchange rates which haven't changed much, but since there has been a "sort of" resolution of the Greek debt crisis, the Euro has appreciated slightly against the Dollar.

You certainly can try a hostel. In my experiences though you get what you pay for. The problem is that the rates you are quoting are the "going rate" for decent lodging in a major city in Europe or in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel