Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 08:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting 4 night trip to Dolphins Lodge North in Prince Rupert area as part of group from his office----they closed big deal and his boss is treating.
My husband has not been to Canada before at all. Literature for the trip says to pack 25 lbs of luggage (to save rest for the salmon you are taking back we guess).
He can afford to pay for some shipping so can pack some more but rooms are kind of small--doesn't want to look out of place among the group because some of them have done this type of sport travel before...

Weather looks fairly mild---highs in mid/upper 70s with lows in mid 50s and no rain according to the travel weather feature on Weather Underground...
he will have rain gear to use on the fishing boat supplied by the Lodge...

Photos show mix of clothing with people in July in t-shirts...
can't really find any photos labeled JUNE though...

He can wear his Timberland boots on the plane and has a lined water proof jacket w/o hood he can carry on or pack maybe depending on what else he takes
Can layer with couple of long sleeve t-shirts and sweatshirts but what weight pants/shirts--anything wool?
Maybe wool socks? He feels the cold more than I do--
we were in San Diego last year in June--stayed in La Jolla in house facing Pacific and he had to go buy a fleece jacket to wear when he was sitting on patio or out at night...I needed no jacket...loved the weather

any suggestions appreciated--
include pictures/links to specific examples if you have them

also would it be smart to buy lighter carryon bag? Ones we have now are probably 7 yrs old and heavier than some of the new types...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
Having just come back from southeast Alaska, the packing list sounds good--waterproof, layers, sturdy shoes. If he feels the cold, then some good hiking socks to wear under his boots, plus that fleece jacket of his as an extra layer should do fine.

You might want to add bug repellant!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
thanks
mosquitos I guess?

know anything about how to get any salmon he might catch prepared to ship home?
the lodge can prepare it different ways but fresh would be vacuum packed and maybe flash frozen and shipped with his return flight
other ways like smoked or canned would be processed and shipped later

Old 05-27-2012, 02:56 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
No idea, although hot-smoked, vacuum-sealed salmon was for sale all over the Alaskan coast, so perhaps this process is available for fishermen. Surely the resort can tell him that. I'm getting hungry!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
25lb limit would be due to the float plane to fly into the resort. Jeans, t-shirts, long sleeve shirts, a polar fleece for night. Running shoes or boots. It gets cool at night, and the black flies and mosquitoes can be/will be horrific. Take Muskol. Best guidance I can offer, take comfortable weekend wear. Nothing fancy, just functional. Check out the website. http://www.dolphinsnorthfishing.com/index.php look at what the guys are wearing, and gauge by that. The rainwear will be supplied by the resort. It's cool in the morning on the water when the boats head out. Polar fleece or wool preferably. Wool keeps you warm, even if it gets a bit wet. Tell him to have fun, and it should be a trip of a lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel