Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,286 times

Advertisements

Today I was to leave Phila at 1:46 for Charlotte (flight delayed because they didn't have a crew). No big deal I was scheduled to leave Charlotte for Mobile at 4:45. Again flight was delayed due to no crew. Crew finally arrived, we boarded about an hr late. We sat on the runway for 2.5 hrs with no explanation except they were backed up. When I finally arrived in Mobile and I got my carry on bag which I had to leave at the door when we boarded so they could put it underneath it was soaking wet. I could wring my clothes out they were so wet. To top it off, I had my books for grad school in the bag as well (I wasn't checking my bag- I didn't think anything would happen- they couldn't lose the bag) and they are soaked thru as well )I just spent $700 for my books. )
I went to customer service and no one is working. The 800# only takes email/written complaint and the baggage guy said,"Gee man I am really sorry!"

I will email when I get back to my apt in New Orleans- hopefully I will have power- the complex said we didn't receive any water when I spoke to them.

Does anyone have any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Did you file a claim @ the baggage service office before you left the airport?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 PM

No they said they would only take an email.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I would file the claim via email asap with full details of what happened and how much was the value of the damage that caused to your property (including your new schoolbooks).

Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
No they said they would only take an email.
Wow that is crazy! If you can, take pictures of your damage and send it along with the email. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Thanks!!

Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Interesting. I am guessing you were on either a full flight or smaller plane and you did not know you would need to check in your carry on bags?

You may not be able to get anything. Buying the ticket you accepted a lot of their terms and conditions including what they could give you for bag damage etc.. if anything. I would certainly document as much as you can though and put in the complaint asap.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Interesting. I am guessing you were on either a full flight or smaller plane and you did not know you would need to check in your carry on bags?

You may not be able to get anything. Buying the ticket you accepted a lot of their terms and conditions including what they could give you for bag damage etc.. if anything. I would certainly document as much as you can though and put in the complaint asap.
Many planes are smaller that you cannot fit your carryon overhead, most don't advertise this beforehand. I have flown the same destination several times and it is a crap shoot whether or not I have to gate check my bag. Their fault, their responsibility.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
hmmm.. a plane going to CLT Yesterday, Big delays At CLT. I wonder if something might be going on in Charlotte...

Op. I have not had to do a damaged bag claim, in years, but I've NEVER left the airport with out starting the claim.

If you have homeowner / Renter Ins you might also be able to put a claim in there, also some credit cards provide some coverage to damaged items, You might want to check the term on each of those.

Got to wonder if USAirExpress has outsourced the baggage to some 3rd party or Other airline to do it for them.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Today I was to leave Phila at 1:46 for Charlotte (flight delayed because they didn't have a crew). No big deal I was scheduled to leave Charlotte for Mobile at 4:45. Again flight was delayed due to no crew.
Only flight I can find yesterday is a 1:45 dept it pushed 4 mins early (1:41) and took off 18 mins later @ 1:59, arrived 10 minutes early. No delay. US Airways 953?

FlightAware

Quote:
Crew finally arrived, we boarded about an hr late. We sat on the runway for 2.5 hrs with no explanation except they were backed up.
CLT-MOB US Airways 3885 pushed @ 6:42 vs. 5:39 scheduled which means it boarded maybe 30 mins late (just a guess)...and departed @ 8:08 that's about 1:30 on the ground...honestly pretty good you were ground stopped...that is an ATC thing...I've sat in CLT for almost 3 hours before with nowhere to go...but nowhere near 2:30!
Quote:
When I finally arrived in Mobile and I got my carry on bag which I had to leave at the door when we boarded so they could put it underneath it was soaking wet. I could wring my clothes out they were so wet. To top it off, I had my books for grad school in the bag as well (I wasn't checking my bag- I didn't think anything would happen- they couldn't lose the bag) and they are soaked thru as well )I just spent $700 for my books. )
I went to customer service and no one is working. The 800# only takes email/written complaint and the baggage guy said,"Gee man I am really sorry!"

I will email when I get back to my apt in New Orleans- hopefully I will have power- the complex said we didn't receive any water when I spoke to them.

Does anyone have any tips?
You have a legit complaint just get your story accurate. People don't like to help out those who embellish...

To tell you what happened again just a guess, storms probably came thru and shut down the ramp with your bag out there ready to be loaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel