Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,494,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Having traveled extensively both east (TATL) and west (TPAC) from Austin, TX for many years, I don not agree with the "it might take the second morning to get completely adjusted" statement. Research has shown that it takes, on average, a day for each hour you are off from your natural "home time". So 9 hours would be 9 days to fully adjust.
Hmm, never seen any research on that - link please. The wiki link you posted says "a recovery rate of one day per time zone crossed is a suggested guideline", which is not the same as saying that it takes one day per time zone to get over jet-lag.

My personal experience from flying to Europe and Asia about 6 times a year on average for many years is that (if done correctly) it can and does take one night to adjust when going to Europe. This is not just my experience, but also my spouse, my now 5-year old, and many of my colleagues who travel just as much and more, so I know I'm not that special! In the last 10 years of traveling to Europe, twice have I had jet-lag persist for more than 2 days. Asia is tougher, and has always taken me 4-6 days to adjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 04:46 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Somewhat different, but we just got back from South America... a 3 hour flight then an 8.5 hour flight. My kids are all under 10 and we have done the trip many times. We always fly overnight as the kids sleep at least 6 hours on the longer flight. We also have Nooks for them, loaded with games and books. That worked well this time. They also have their own headphones and they like to use those. The cheap airplane ones don't fit their ears, break easy, and are uncomfortable. I also bring snacks, but not candy. They pack their carry-ons, so they bring things they like: toys, books, coloring books and markers or crayons. I stay engaged with them when they are awake, we play games, talk about what we will do on the vacation/what we did.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I just can't agree with that theory. I think I mentioned it at the beginning of the thread, but it's worth repeating. The best way to beat jet lag is to slowly change your schedule before you leave, and then resist the urge to sleep once you land and instead stay awake until normal bedtime that evening. You'll wake up ready to go the next morning. This works eastbound, it's more difficult but not impossible westbound.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Traveling with 4 children, my only advice is to keep them quiet and still so they don't get strangled by an irate passenger.

Actually, I do have advice. Give everyone a decongestant and an over-the-counter painkiller, of the aspirin sort, about 1/2 an hour before the take off. That will help reduce ear pain on the take offs and landlings. Best to try them out long before the flight to make sure they work for the kids.

Headphones for any video games or movies or anything that makes noise. Again, so you child does not get strangled by a nearby passenger. Don't bring toys that make noise unless they can be used with earphones. Please do not permit the children to run up and down the aisle or sit there endlessly kicking the seat in front of them.

Load everyone up with Vitamin C for the week before the trip and add some prayers that nobody gets sick from another traveler with the flu or a cold on the flight. Airplanes are a good place to catch something respiratory.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
The best way to avoid jetlag:

1) Don't think about it. Whenever I go to Europe I don't pay attention to what time it is back home in CT, and only what time it is currently. If it's 9 AM in England I would and should be awake even though it's only 4 am where I live.
2) The most important thing: DON'T take long naps. Short naps of about 90 minutes are fine, but anything longer then 2 hours and your asking for trouble. I'd try to avoid napping if at all possible and stick to my step #1, don't worry about the time it is where you live, worry about what time it is you currently are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel