Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 34,060 times

Advertisements

I would like to see London, Paris, Rome and Prague, in order of priority.

I want to set aside about 2-3 weeks this year to see them. How much do I need to do so?

Im guessing airfare is about ~$1,000 USD. From East Coast US, fly to London, and fly back from a different city.

Im fine staying in affordable hostels throughout the entire trip. I am just into the general sightseeing aspects.

How much are day to day costs on average?

I am open to cutting out Prague and even Rome if it keeps costs reasonable (~2k)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
If you're willing to stay in simple hostels/inns, I would budget $30-40 USD/nt for lodging.

Will you be using the train to get around Europe...if so you can find the cost of the rail pass you'll need in advance on the Rail Europe website. For 3 weeks and 4+ countries you're probably looking at $400+ in rail costs...or you could use RyanAir to get from place to place and maybe come out cheaper.

Approx $100+ per week for transit.

If you eat out every meal you're probably looking at roughly $40-50 per day. However, staying in a hostel should afford you some kitchen access and included breakfasts so that should help keep food costs down. So maybe about $500 for food on the conservative side.

With that you're looking at for 3 weeks:
Airfare: $1000
Lodging: $750
Rail Pass: $400
Transit: $300
Food: $500

So before considering incedentals (admission fees, etc...) you're probably looking at something around $3000 on the moderate side of budgeting. You could probably get food and lodging costs lower, but not significantly so because you are planning to visit some of the world's most expensive cities. You can likely get lower airfares on a discount air carrier than you can get a rail pass for, but look out for all the incendental charges you might incur. You could cut out some costs by staying only 2 weeks instead of 3, but then you'll be cramming stuff into the itinerary. Europe is expensive...period.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
This year? As in 2012?

I did a quick search and came up with this, which surprised me as to how cheap you can stay in London;

Hostels in London | Book London Hostel Online with Hostelworld.com

Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingMang View Post
I would like to see London, Paris, Rome and Prague, in order of priority.
I want to set aside about 2-3 weeks this year to see them.

How much do I need to do so?
Less than your Mom would say... but more than your roommate's cousin said they spent.
Rick Steves Europe: Tours, Trip Planning, Travel Guides & Information

Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
If you can do 3 weeks traveling around Europe for $3000, you are really great with pinching the pennies.

Last time I was there, nobody would accept travelers checks. You had to go to a bank to cash them. In France, banks were only opened a few hours a week and all banks everywhere charged a huge fee to cash one of them. I think most people travel using their credit card like an ATM card. So I suggest that you find out who offers the best exchange rate and use that card.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
As far as monuments and museums are concerned, it really depends. In Paris, nothing is cheap, but in London, lots of museums are free. In both cities, the best is to use public transportation or walk if weather permits.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
Cheapest cities in Europe - 47 major European cities ranked by price

double the daily backpacker index, and that should give you a rough idea on how much to budget for having a fun trip.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I think you are underestimating airfare by a few hundred dollars. You don't mention the cost of getting from London to continental Europe, that's at least another $100.

Many museums in London are free, but you'll pay up to$30 to enter many in other parts of Europe.

I don't think you can eat for three weeks on $500 unless you plan on a steady diet of bread and water or dumpster diving. I would plan on $40 a day.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
London, Rome, and Paris are among the most expensive cities in the world. If you stay at hostels, than yes, you could do lodging for around $30 - $40 a night (or less). Remember, this is in dormitory-style accommodation, where you'll be sharing a room with anywhere from three to twelve or more other people. But a decent room with a TV and a bathroom is going to run you at least $100-$150. Think of Rome, Paris, or London as Manhattan.

Food will be dear if you eat all of your meals in even basic restaurants, in London, Paris, or Rome at least. Dining out is more of a special thing to Europeans than something they do twice weekly at the Olive Garden or Cheesecake Factory. Expect to pay about twice of what you would for a comparable meal in the U.S. at restaurants. You could get away cheaply, however, by subsisting on street food like crepes and kebabs, or Indian take-away in London, or even better, by self-catering at the excellent local markets (at least in Paris and Rome). Every hostel I've ever stayed at has a kitchen, too.

If you want to see a lot of attractions, consider getting a city pass. They often have unlimited use of the public transportation system included in their price, too. As many here have mentioned, many of the star attractions in London (e.g. British Museum) are free of charge.

Transportation can be very expensive, and I would consider flying between London, Rome, and Paris if you're just going to be visiting those three cities. Airfare is one of the few things that is cheaper in Europe, and great deals can often be found.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
One of the greatest travel advices I ever received:

Take half of what you pack. Take double the amount of money you think you are going too need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel