Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 02:03 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,431 times

Advertisements

I contacted a travel agent for air tickets from India to the US for my parents. He took the names of the passengers and made a "booking" that I am able to see in the airline's website (Gulf Air).

I decided not to purchase the tickets from the travel agent. I told him to cancel the booking. But he is yet to do it, it's been a day.

In the meantime, I see the exact same flights (same dates) directly on the airlines website at a good price. Should I wait till this travel agent cancels the "temp" booking?

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
You should pay the Travel Agent the $50 for there work.

Odds are the Tickets have been charged to your credit card already. The TA will cancel it based on your phone call The Airline will charge you a cancellation fee, the TA will charge you service fee for the work they did.

You need to pick one use TA , or Do it yourself Before you pick up the phone...

Old 03-20-2013, 02:27 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
I have only used a TA once for our honeymoon in Cuba last May, and based on that experience I would never use one again. She made a royal mess out of the whole thing from the word go, including 'forgetting' to notify the resort this was a honeymoon and continually ignoring any questions we sent to her the moment she got paid. I don't know how much she was made off us, but it was far too much based on the half-assed job she did. There was nothing she did that I couldn't have done better myself. In the future, I'd much rather screw it up on my own than pay for some useless lackey to screw it up for me.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:28 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
You should pay the Travel Agent the $50 for there work.

Odds are the Tickets have been charged to your credit card already. The TA will cancel it based on your phone call The Airline will charge you a cancellation fee, the TA will charge you service fee for the work they did.

You need to pick one use TA , or Do it yourself Before you pick up the phone...

No No. The travel agent did a courtesy booking or temp booking... I never purchased it and decided not too from him. My question was should I wait till that "temp" booking expires... in order to book the same directly with the airline.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
So your found you could get it for a few dollars less, so you are going to stiff the TA who did work for you. Nice move..

Old 03-20-2013, 04:21 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Are you sure it was a temporary booking? Airlines usually don't "hold" a booking for more than 24 hours. If you are sure, just book it at the airline site...the temporary booking will expire on it's own (I trust you did not give the travel agent your cc info).
And in the future, you don't need a travel agent to book a flight. You can see that anyone can do it, and do it usually cheaper and faster, with a few clicks of a button.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,921,245 times
If it's a BIG difference in price the travel agent should be able to rebook and get that price for you.

If you are doing this to save a small amount that pays for his services...you have no honor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel