Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:53 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times

Advertisements

When you book a hotel room through Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, etc., does the hotel you choose still need your credit card number when you check in or is that all handled through the website?

The reason I ask is when I booked a hotel room last year in Cleveland, I made a mistake using my debot card to book my room. When I was at the hotel (even though I had already paid for it) they put a hold on my card. I ended up not getting charged, but it's still a pain in the butt when they do that because you can't do anythuiiing with it,. I booked that hotel room through the hotel's website.

Do they still do that when you use one of those websites I mentioned above? Would I be better off using a prepaid credit card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 02:06 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
No matter how you book the hotel, when you check in they are going to ask for a Credit/Debit card and put a hold (Hold expire after 5-7 days) or when the matching transaction is done. To cover any thing you run up when you are at the hotel. (Phone calls, PayPer views parking etc). If you dont change anything, the hold just expires. (I would use a credit card not a debit card.) The hold is just putting a hold on a part of your credit line, As long as you are not close to your limit, it will have no effect on your credit card use.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
No matter how you book the hotel, when you check in they are going to ask for a Credit/Debit card and put a hold (Hold expire after 5-7 days) or when the matching transaction is done. To cover any thing you run up when you are at the hotel. (Phone calls, PayPer views parking etc).
That's what I thought.

Thanks

Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
When you book a hotel room through Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, etc., does the hotel you choose still need your credit card number when you check in or is that all handled through the website?

The reason I ask is when I booked a hotel room last year in Cleveland, I made a mistake using my debot card to book my room. When I was at the hotel (even though I had already paid for it) they put a hold on my card. I ended up not getting charged, but it's still a pain in the butt when they do that because you can't do anythuiiing with it,. I booked that hotel room through the hotel's website.

Do they still do that when you use one of those websites I mentioned above? Would I be better off using a prepaid credit card?

They are still going to ask for a credit card at check-in. They want to make sure that if you cause major damage to the room that you WILL pay for it.

I have noticed that a number of the low-end 2* hotels on Priceline do NOT take an imprint if you checkin on a prepaid reservation.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
after dealing with problems in the past, i just put incidentals hold down in cash. sick of them just swiping my card then im at the mercy of their screw ups.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:41 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
They are still going to ask for a credit card at check-in. They want to make sure that if you cause major damage to the room that you WILL pay for it.

I have noticed that a number of the low-end 2* hotels on Priceline do NOT take an imprint if you checkin on a prepaid reservation.
ya, full service hotels (3.5-4*) hold the most, usually $50/day range. for 2* it varies from company to company. ramada's hold a lot, which is annoying. some other 2* brands don't hold anything.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I understand why they do that, but they should really charge you after you leave.

So many people want to get rid of thier credit cards now because of all of the interests rates, etc. What would happen if credit cards become a thing of the past? What are the hotels going to do now? I paid off my credit card and honestly have no intentions of getting another one. But I guess I'll have to (reluctantly) get another one if I intend on using it for hotels.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I understand why they do that, but they should really charge you after you leave.

So many people want to get rid of thier credit cards now because of all of the interests rates, etc. What would happen if credit cards become a thing of the past? What are the hotels going to do now? I paid off my credit card and honestly have no intentions of getting another one. But I guess I'll have to (reluctantly) get another one if I intend on using it for hotels.

Try renting a car without a credit card. Some agencies really do not like debit cards.

Personally, I would keep the credit card and use it just to guarantee hotel rooms and book rental cars. Then at the end of the rental period, pay cash.

Credit cards and electronic payments are NOT going away. If anything, cash usage will eventually be a thing of the past.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Hotel, will run any charges that out have when you do check out, but they can not inspect every room at check-out. When housekeeping does the room in they clean/inspect the room. If anything is missing/damamaged, they will run the cost of those items to your credit card.

Credit cards are going not anywhere. I personal would rather have a Hold on my credit limit, then a hold on my actual balance on my debit card. A hold on my debit card effects me, a hold on my credit limit does not. Holds add up, get Gas $50 hold, Go to Hotel $50/night hold, Rental Car $500-1000?? hold etc... I have not paid interest on my credit card in 20? years. I pay it off at the end of the month. I get Cash back for using it also.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 28,728 times
I have a question. I am 19 and trying to rent a hotel room because the concert i am going to is 4 hours away and wont get done till midnight, i was wondering since they say you have to be 21 if there is anyway to get around it.. Its kinda ridiculous that im an adult but can not rent a hotel room. I was told going through Expedia will let me rent one rather im 21 or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel