Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,472 times

Advertisements

In my other thread I said Iceland was one of the finalists. The other one is Paris. The others are Greece and Germany, and here there is a problem that I'm interested to see your thoughts in.

I'll have 4-5 days max. In Iceland it's small enough that I suppose one will HAVE TO get out of Reykjavik anyway. In Paris, it is so large, that probably for that number of days, you'll have to do just the city.

I've been to Italy and Egypt and on both occasions I only did Rome and Cairo, but found that those two cities had enough that for 5-6 days I was able to just stay in those cities.

What about Greece and Germany?
  • For Greece, is there much in Athens after the Acropolis? Are some of the islands, or more remote ruins viewable with day trips? Delphi and Santorini are two places I've heard off if they're reachable from Athens.
  • For Germany, first of all, between Munich, Berlin and Frankfurt, which one should one do? Any possibility of seeing some castles if you're at a city?

I'd only have 4-5 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:35 AM

110 posts, read 269,043 times
Athens is one of the few cities where I think 2 nights is enough. With the extra days I'd consider Nafplion or Santorini (or some other island). Delphi is beautiful but only worth one night, and in the opposite direction of Nafplion and the islands, so I'm not sure it's the best choice for such a short stay in Greece. Nafplion is an easy drive from Athens, plenty of ruins to see around that area, and a lovely little seaport town (first capital of modern Greece). I would suggest renting a car on your way out of Athens if you go there because it will make seeing the various ruins in the area much easier. Santorini is gorgeous, and you can get a direct flight from Athens.

And, yes, Paris will easily take up all 4-5 days.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I agree about Athens, 2-3 nights is fine. The problem is that with the limited time you have, you'll eat up all the time you have to see another place in Greece in travel getting there. It would take at least three hours from the time you leave Athens until you land in Thira

I also agree that Paris will take at least 4-5 days.

If you want to see more than one city, I'd suggest choosing two German cities that are maybe two hours by train from each other. That way you can leave and arrive to and from the city center (more or less), see the country in between the two, and not waste your time in security lines.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 AM

633 posts, read 1,735,306 times
Germany: Munich, Berlin or Frankfurt. It is like asking Miami, New York or Vegas. These cities are completely different cities and you have to decide what you want to see. i hope you`re not coming to see the cities, because that is the less important thing to see in germany. Germany is full of culture, lots of old castles, ...

For me in person, i dont really like Berlin. Yes, it has changed since the wall is down, but for me it is just a big city with ( in some areas) lots of crime and you feel a little bit like living in Turkey. But that is only MY view.

Munich is a nicer and "cleaner" city, but also the most expensive (rent) in germany. You can visit the german museum or the "Schloss Neuschwanstein" for example.

Frankfurt ( where i live close to) is a very busy city, famous for the "red light district" and the high rises and the best climate in germany ( not coldest in winter, not hottest in summer) If staying in Frankfurt Area i would recommend doing a rhine river castle tour which is starting in Rüdesheim ( Ruedesheim), only 30 Min by car from Frankfurt.

Frankfurt to Munich is 4 hours by car, Frankfurt to Berlin up to 6 or more.

If you are interessted in seeing a castle then choose the nicest one "Neuschwanstein" and choose Munich. German Museum, Neuschwanstein, the famouse "Hofbräuhaus" or a beer brewery ( bavaria has lots) ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel