Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

If time is not a factor for your trip and you have to choose driving or flying which would you chose and why?

The cost of flying can get costly, however if you add the cost of gas, motels and meals that also can get pricy as well. What do you do and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Fly. Driving about 3 hours would be my max. I just get sleepy! And yet I know people who make many trips from Philly to Florida in one shot, just pulling into rest stops here and there for a cat nap. I'm in awe of them!!

When I traveled from Philly to Boston, I flew. Philly to NYC, I've taken the train or bus. Long car trips where I am the passenger are interminable and unbelievably boring -- SO many miles on an interstate. I've gone from Philly to Maine and Philly to Alabama in a car. Awful.

If time were really no factor and I had to drive, I would take many scenic back roads, pick small cities or interesting towns to stay in and do some site-seeing. I've traveled up into New England this way, meandering here and there and it was very nice.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
If time is not a factor for your trip and you have to choose driving or flying
which would you chose and why?
I've already been everywhere* ...so for me it's about destination more than time.

If my goal is to get to a distant place (daughter in LA?)... I'll fly and then rent a car there.
If I'm traveling *with* someone then I might meander it but that's still not likely.

The meandering and road tripping is pretty much limited to a 1000 mile range now.

J-O-H-N-N-Y C-A-S-H - I've Been Everywhere - With Lyrics - YouTube

Old 03-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
there are some previous threads on this. I have a spreadsheet that includes fly drive, car, van, RV and associated costs.

Today I am 1200 miles away from home, compliments of a $38 airfare. Can't buy much fuel for $38, and the time saved from flying can add up after a few trips. (I am on trip # 12 since Nov)

Each situation requires a cost / benefit. but I usually fly / drive in current economy. (I get $10/day rental cars on Priceline)

Old 03-07-2013, 02:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
If time is not a factor for your trip and you have to choose driving or flying which would you chose and why?

The cost of flying can get costly, however if you add the cost of gas, motels and meals that also can get pricy as well. What do you do and why?
I don't fly period.

If a car runs out of gas, I can walk. If a tire falls off, I can walk. If the engine stops, I can walk. But, I sure can't fly.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Drive. I don't mind flying and will do it when the situation absolutely calls for it, but for me nothing beats hopping behind the wheel and just going. I keep trying to convince my bosses in Dallas to let me drive down there for my sync-ups with the team there, but they keep insisting I fly.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:42 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
We've been driving the past few years, with three kids it gets expensive and there really isn't any more deals to be had. A few years ago our local tavel agency had a companion fare deal, you paid full price for the first ticket $199 and the second ticket was $99, we bought two sets of those and my daughter was under three so she got to fly free. We bought this special for 3 summers in a row, RT from MN to San Diego.
Those were some nice prices, now we drive to CA.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
It really depends. Cost is generally not my prime motivating factor. If the scenery will be worth looking at, I'll drive. If I've going to spend three days looking at corn fields, get me on a plane.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Sometimes I might fly on a small private 4 seater plane if I have someone who can do so rather than go by car. But for longer distances flying commercially is the way to go for me.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Have not been on an airplane since 1967, so that pretty much answers the question. No fear with or problem in flying, just have never had the need or urge to do so. At one time or another have driven in most parts of the American West west of the Rockies, and still have a few places left. My driving limit in one day is 600 miles or 12 hours, whichever comes first, and those are the max limits, prefer shorter when possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel