Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here vacationed in the Cayman Islands? A couple of friends and I are considering that as a "long weekend" destination. Any ideas or tips on places to stay, what to do, where to eat, etc.? There's a wealth of info online that we'll check out, of course, but for some reason I trust the experiences on this forum first and foremost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Has anyone here vacationed in the Cayman Islands? A couple of friends and I are considering that as a "long weekend" destination. Any ideas or tips on places to stay, what to do, where to eat, etc.? There's a wealth of info online that we'll check out, of course, but for some reason I trust the experiences on this forum first and foremost!
Many, many moons ago...back in the 1980s, so I'm no help on places to stay/eat. I will say that Grand Cayman, back then, was pretty quiet so not a "party island". 7 Mile Beach was gorgeous!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:57 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Beautiful place but after 1-2 days seeing the sights you'll be bored and having to put up with 1000's of crusie ship tourist departees everyday.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
They are pretty, but I agree with TXNGL, pretty boring after a day or two. The Ritz Carlton on Grand Cayman is fairly new, well located, and gorgeous--I would strongly suggest booking there.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
I assume Grand Cayman...no expert but we have been to the Caymans a couple dozen+ times since the early '80s to now, and have seen them grow/develop, esp on Grand Cayman. Most of our trips, and our recent trips, have been Lil'Cayman/Cayman Brac, as we love to Scuba dive.

GC has become very developed, very touristy, very pricey, imo. Not that it isn't a good 'tropical' Caribbean place to spend some time, though a 'long weekend' may not allow for real decompress from working time.

Places we have overnighted at in the past couple years, (as flights from Lil'Cayman to GC to the US are sparse/ill timed), Turtle Nest Inn, Reef Resort, and The Grand Caymanian; all 'reasonably priced', but none of these are the big beach front resorts the OP may have in mind.

If the OP dives, GC is 'OK', though not CB or LC.

Couple things to do for non diver: Sting Ray City, East End, Turtle farm, walking/relaxing on 7 Mile Beach, etc.
Avoid the temptation to rent a scooter unless one is skilled on m'cycle and/or willing to risk the traffic, sandy turns, fellow tourists who can't ride them well, and serious azz road rash.

Agree with nitram that after a couple days, the 'sights' wear thin, esp for non-divers, and the herds off the ships are considerable.

Pricey, esp for 'restaurant style food' you may be seeking or used to.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times
Thanks for the advice! It'd only be for a "long weekend" trip (4 days max) so I'm okay with having our fill of sights within a few days. I suspect at least one of those days will be spent lounging on the beach.

Thanks for the "non-diver" suggestions, motordavid! The two people I'm going will probably want to go scuba diving, but not I. I've never felt comfortable being in the water and I'm not a fan of the sea creatures (but I like being at the beach, go figure).

Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Thanks for the advice! It'd only be for a "long weekend" trip (4 days max) so I'm okay with having our fill of sights within a few days. I suspect at least one of those days will be spent lounging on the beach.

Thanks for the "non-diver" suggestions, motordavid! The two people I'm going will probably want to go scuba diving, but not I. I've never felt comfortable being in the water and I'm not a fan of the sea creatures (but I like being at the beach, go figure).
Doobage, you are welcome...

These days, the majority of dive boats on GC are nearly cattle cars, and the divers' skills range from just got my OWD cert at the dive shop pool back home, to divers with some serious experience, (though most serious divers are diving the other side of GC or Cayman Brac or Lil'Cayman, imo).

Same goes for those that want to snorkel around on the surface vs SCUBA. Some boats will take both groups.

If your friends want to SCUBA, most dive joint rent BCs, masks, flips, etc. Weights are usually on the boat.
None of that sport is inexpensive on GC...

GC has really 'grown'/developed over the past 28 yrs that we have been going there, but 7 Mile Beach remains one of the best on the planet for such a busy crowded area. Sunset, under an Australian pine, with a cocktail, is hard to beat. Enjoy your trip.
GL, mD

Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 PM

55 posts, read 171,568 times
Default Grand Cayman Beach Suites, at Seven Mile Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Doobage, you are welcome...

These days, the majority of dive boats on GC are nearly cattle cars, and the divers' skills range from just got my OWD cert at the dive shop pool back home, to divers with some serious experience, (though most serious divers are diving the other side of GC or Cayman Brac or Lil'Cayman, imo).

Same goes for those that want to snorkel around on the surface vs SCUBA. Some boats will take both groups.

If your friends want to SCUBA, most dive joint rent BCs, masks, flips, etc. Weights are usually on the boat.
None of that sport is inexpensive on GC...

GC has really 'grown'/developed over the past 28 yrs that we have been going there, but 7 Mile Beach remains one of the best on the planet for such a busy crowded area. Sunset, under an Australian pine, with a cocktail, is hard to beat. Enjoy your trip.
GL, mD
Going in August. Will snorkel some, see a few sights, etc. Question: Are there restaurants in walking distance of hotels on seven mile beach? Don't want to have to walk toofar in August heat.
Do you recommend renting a car at the airport, or getting one later for a day or two?
Lastly, what does a taxi cost from the airport to seven mile? Was told it was only three miles, but takes 15 minutes. Thanks/Jeff.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,390 times
I love Grand Cayman. It is flat, and small, there won't be forest adventures or cool distilleries, but for some of the best beaches in the world, and lots of fun in the water it's a great place.

1. Rum Pointe Beach - this is on the north end of the island, almost no cruise ship tours go there, it is secluded, amazing waters, a nice bar and decent restaurant on site ... it is one of my favorite beaches I have visited anywhere, and I have been to many all over the world. Great, sort of out of the way spot.

2. Stingray City - depending on time of day, there will be tons of cruise ship tours here, but it's still a really wonderful experience.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastchance4gas View Post
Going in August. Will snorkel some, see a few sights, etc. Question: Are there restaurants in walking distance of hotels on seven mile beach? Don't want to have to walk toofar in August heat.
Yes...walkable from most hotels:
Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman Restaurants: See 48 restaurants with 6,590 reviews - TripAdvisor
Do you recommend renting a car at the airport, or getting one later for a day or two?
Many companies to choose from on/at airport: chains and local deals. I would search and pick one and reserve. Rentals are not hugely expensive, from my fading memory. Taxis from airport to 7 mile area are pricey, eg 35+ CD which is ~$40+ US currently. A rental for a few days is about a wash. The prob is logistics: rent a car at airport for a couple days, and then dump it, having to cab back to hotel or...add in there are not many places 'to drive' and the car kind of sits.

Some hotels have inclusive on transfer from airport; that process is ok, though not running every minute, lol! There are also buses running around to take people along Seven Mile and other areas. The Islanders can point you to right bus/right trip. Unless one is skilled at motorcycle riding, I was abstain from renting the ubiquitous scooters, mopeds, etc. Spills are common by neophytes, and even as a 50+ yr m'cycle rider, it is not for the faint of heart or unlucky, imo. Nothing like a road rash or worse to screw up a vacay...
Lastly, what does a taxi cost from the airport to seven mile? Was told it was only three miles, but takes 15 minutes. Thanks/Jeff.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel