Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 05:05 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times

Advertisements

An interesting read with some good data. Unsurprisingly, from a point of tourism it isn't just about getting people to come to your country, it's about getting them to spend their money too.

BBC News - What is the world's favourite holiday destination?
Quote:
A recent study by the United Nations World Tourism Organization revealed that 83 million people visited La Belle France last year, even more than its population of 66 million.
The lure of Alpine ski stations and Mediterranean resorts ensure that it has kept its top spot for every year that statistics have been produced.
France attracts at least 16 million more visitors than the United States in second place, with China, Spain and Italy completing the top five most visited countries.
Yet despite its overwhelming popularity as a holiday destination it seems that the French have a problem convincing visitors to part with their cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 06:28 AM

401 posts, read 479,562 times
The whole point of tourism is getting people to part with their cash and thereby creating jobs. Tourists can help an economy considerably. They have to have a place to stay i.e. hotel or hostel, they have to eat i.e. restaurants or farmers market, they need to get around i.e. transportation and they'll want to see something of the place i.e. its historic sights, museums or beaches.

As far as the French having problems getting people to part with their cash, money is tight now a days. People are looking for value too. If some of their stuff is pricey, the tourists may elect to hold on to their cash. They'll have spent a good bit just getting there and staying there. I did the famous Moulin Rouge 1 time during a tour of France and, I was stunned by the price. I got the 2nd tier package and, it was over $240 for the dinner and show. Because of the cost, I definitely wouldn't do it again.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,320 times
Thumbs up Favourite Holiday Destination in the World

Top Holiday Destination in the World:

Spain
France
Greece
USA
Great Britain
Italy
Turkey
Egypt
Croatia
Thailand

Old 08-06-2013, 12:20 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
What is the world's favourite holiday destination.
Sheesh, and all this time I thought it was Disneyland. Silly me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel