Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:42 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Not to mention, every LH flight I've ever been on has a flight tracker right there on your video screen. And you can use the controls to zoom in on your exact location.

Domestic flights, not so much. But then domestic flights are meager in every way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
JetBlue and Frontier Airlines have a flight tracker on the individual screens at every seat.

I love looking out of the window, but that's why I teach geography.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
So does WestJet. I just wish it was a little more accurate instead of having what appears to be a 50 mile long overhead of a jet on the map. lol

I really enjoyed the window seat. Watching as even the tiniest creeks breifly flashed into existance from the sun as I passed over head was very interesting.

Wow, so some airlines actually DO have such a thing! I'll have to try to use one of them next time I fly. Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:22 PM

418 posts, read 1,090,279 times
Window seating is a must. Figuring out the city or river or seeing into peoples future. ( like red truck will meet you on the next turn way before you see it.) Time flies.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,696 times
I love overland flights for exactly this reason, and I always try to get a window seat. On Southwest, if I have a crappy boarding number I'll even go to the very back of the plane even though it'll take like 20 extra minutes to get off. I really enjoy trying to guess exactly what I'm flying over based on topography or the footprint of an urban area (which is especially fun at night because of the patterns made by the lights).

Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
I am just as transfixed and entertained by the view from a plane window as I was the first time I flew as a child and I am 52 now having flown scores of times in all types of private and commercial aircraft!

As an architect and always having an intense interest in urban planning, I remember how exciting it was to discern the context of individual houses/buildings, neighborhoods, parks, hills and waterways in the cities and towns flown over and that interest and excitement is certainly still present.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,084 times
I always insist on a window seat whenever I end up flying. If I'm going to be stuck in a pressurized tin can for hours on end, I might as well have something interesting to look at. You'll be surprise how time flies by when you're cloud watching.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
I also like the "heads up" the wing tips give me just before the body of the plane starts shaking. lol

Old 08-10-2013, 02:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,494,022 times
I travel a lot for work, and usually take the aisle seat now. But window views are nice depending on the route.

Once enroute to Asia I caught sight of Mt. Everest poking through the clouds (announced by the pilot). Unfortunately didn't have my camera at the time.

The Italian Alps this afternoon:

Somewhere near the Grand Canyon:

The Caribbean:

Somewhere over California:

Old 08-10-2013, 02:59 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I guess I'm pretty indifferent to the view when we're actually flying but when we land I do like to look at the city. Landing in LAX I remember trying to see if I could spot the Hollywood sign.
LOL...the approach from the East doesn't go the right way to see it...you see the side of the mountain it is on though...once you get close enough, at least the few times I have looked for landmarks, the city blocks where it would be visible.

However, if you pay attention, you can find the donut on Randy's Donuts...

Old 08-10-2013, 03:04 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Somewhere over California:
Gorgeous photos, as always. Admittedly a little jealous of the "Italian Alps today" one. And the CA one looks like it might be the Sierra Nevada range in the Central CA area...it is the farmland that makes me think this as, admittedly I am not 100% on this, but the way the crop land hits up to the mountains, that is the only place I know of that looks like that...

Old 08-11-2013, 05:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I want the window seat and can usually sit for 7/8 hours without getting up.
Leaving Alaska by air gave a much better and awesome conception of the sheer vastness of it than anything on ground did....as did flying over the Grand Canyon and surrounding desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel