Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times

Advertisements

Ie when flying makes more sense than driving or taking the bus/train?

I'd say if it's more than about 400 miles/700 km, I'd rather fly. Like from Portland to the Bay Area, you can get there in a day, but it's a very long day and I'd say that kind of distance is about when flying makes a bit more sense. On the other hand, if I'm going to Seattle or Vancouver BC, it makes a lot more sense to take the bus. Boise is kinda on the edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Ie when flying makes more sense than driving or taking the bus/train?

I'd say if it's more than about 400 miles/700 km, I'd rather fly. Like from Portland to the Bay Area, you can get there in a day, but it's a very long day and I'd say that kind of distance is about when flying makes a bit more sense. On the other hand, if I'm going to Seattle or Vancouver BC, it makes a lot more sense to take the bus. Boise is kinda on the edge.

Remember, it is NOT just distance but the hassle factor. For example, I would prefer to drive from Chicago to St. Louis during the summer months, I would prefer to fly during February to avoid the icy roads.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Remember, it is NOT just distance but the hassle factor. For example, I would prefer to drive from Chicago to St. Louis during the summer months, I would prefer to fly during February to avoid the icy roads.
Exactly - "hassle factor" - we usually end up driving to my sisters for Thanksgiving to avoid the airport. It also depends on the cost or hassle factor of getting a rental car. Also the distance to the airport at the other end...

My distance tolerance for driving has increased since having my daughter since we're also hauling a stroller, carseat, etc...

Old 08-09-2012, 06:31 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Exactly - "hassle factor" - we usually end up driving to my sisters for Thanksgiving to avoid the airport. It also depends on the cost or hassle factor of getting a rental car. Also the distance to the airport at the other end...

My distance tolerance for driving has increased since having my daughter since we're also hauling a stroller, carseat, etc...
Exactly! From NC I would generally drive as far north as DC or Baltimore (4.5 -5.5 hours) but probably not Philly (6.5 hours) , b/c that would include driving THROUGH DC and Baltimore. That and direct flights to Philly are relatively cheap and plentiful and mass transit there is good.

Heading south I would generally drive as far as Jacksonville, FL (7 hours) without flinching because there's less traffic, less flight options and less transit options at the destination.

Of course, those considerations are for solo travel or travel w/ my spouse. Adding in our two kids to the mix often makes air travel too expensive to consider so we have driven as far as St. Pete Beach (11 hours) and Naples (14 hours) without even considering air travel as an option. Not to mention the hassles listed above by Bakeneko.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
If it's over 6 hours to drive I consider flying, but flying has its own set of issues now. I remember when flying used to be fun, people dressed up to fly, and you were treated as a valued guest, but those days are long gone. The TSA has greatly reduced the joy of flying. The aggressive pat downs I've received have been quite invasive and disturbing.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Agreed! I go to DC often which is a 6 hour drive. In order to get there, I have to drive through the metros of NYC, Philly, Baltimore, etc. I fly most times because it is much less hassle, unless I feel like leaving at 10 at night...even then I would avoid rush hour but run into off-hours road construction. Essentially in the BOS-NYC-DC corridor, it is better to get off of the road.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
really depends on many things... but time / fuel / connections / length of stay, detours, irresistable urge for road trip, need for a QUICK getaway...

I'm pretty cheap, so cost / time is often primary. If I can get a $89 flight and a $10/day rental car,,, I don't even bother thinking of driving my 50 mpg car. IT doesn't need the extra miles, it needs to last the rest of my life, as it is hard to find replacements.

50 mpg since 1976... where have you been?
Stealth (VW) Rabbit

Old 08-09-2012, 07:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I can,'t imagine every flying from one place to another in North America, unless I had to get there in an emergency. More often, I travel just to be on the road, often with no particular destination. If I can't drive, I don't go.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:22 AM

672 posts, read 1,417,908 times
> 800 mile is flying distance for me. I can do a 12 hour drive, but it has to be more than that to make flying worth it. And even then, I'd still rather drive to see and experience the country.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:28 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
for me alone under 4 hours is a drive for sure, after that i think about it. I'm not a fan of driving, but with the whole family my minimum distance at least doubles to 8 hours, and probably up to 10 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel