Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 06:43 AM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times

Advertisements

Most renters won't accept the rent-a-car companies pricey gas plans, but instead agree to bring the car back with a full tank (tank on the way to the airport because the gauge will still show "full" by the time they get there)
That is going to change.
Now Avis and soon Hertz (and most likely the rest will follow the suit) will be using electronic meters that can tell how much gas is missing from your tank, down to 1/10 of a gallon, and charge you at the rate of over $9/gal for it.

Rental car companies gauge the benefits of a new technology to measure fuel use - The Washington Post

Last edited by elnina; 09-23-2013 at 06:53 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 06:55 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Look out! Here comes electronic fuel metering

Chris Elliott - Travel Consumer Advocate has all ready had a issues with one consumer he help'ed with this.

I would think the Most State's Weights & Measure Department would have a problem with this. The "Meter" is a "Black box" that the consumer does not have access to, does not know what the start point is, when the end point is when they return the car. Also how accurate is the meter? Since they are going to charge for the 'shortage' There should be a Weights/Measures seal on it and it need to be 'easily' visible to the consumer, (That you don't need to raise the hood, or crawl under the car to find).

Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 AM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Whatever that is, I am almost sure it will work for the rent-a-car companies, and not for the consumers.
I wonder if gas stations start to sell a gallon/half gallon and pint containers with gas for customers who rent-a-car. It will be still cheaper than paying $9+/gal for the missing gas at the rent-a car counters...

It will be a big hassle for the customer. Even though you might have filled up 2 miles from the station, you could be on the hook for fuel. The fuel fees typically appear after the rental is closed, and most people just drop the car at the garage and place the car keys in a drop box.
It seems only cars with "VR" stickers on the driver's side window have this capability so it might be worth trying to avoid these vehicles.

Also: "Its new system, called Zibox, is capable of shutting off a car engine remotely and operating car locks from afar. It relays location data, tire air pressure and fuel-level information back to Hertz, too. In other words, it will know exactly how much fuel you have in the car at any given time."
I am not too happy about that either. Car rentals should have no business monitoring where I go and when.

Last edited by elnina; 09-23-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
Thanks for the alert. Interesting comment in the article

> That’s because the systems either favor the car rental company or the renter but are never entirely fair to either.

I suspect that, even with precise measurements, it will still be a better deal to return the tank full (or as close as you can get to full).

Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
So many of the people who return rental cars "full" filled the tank MILES from the airport. I find it discouraging that when I rent a car and the gas meter reads "F" when there is actually a gallon or two missing. This past weekend, I placed about 1.5 gallons into a "FULL" tank before I left on my trip. For the record, the gas station I used was 100 feet from the Hertz Local Edition office.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:47 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,442 times
I first thought of Atlanta. If you've ever stayed at the hotels by the airport, the nearest gas stations are surprisingly far, around a bunch of winding roads. It's probably three to four miles from the gas station to the car return. Then I thought of San Diego, where many rental car depots are surrounded by industry/warehouses/railroad tracks rather than services. But such a surcharge in either case would be $1.50 or so.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
The worst is Orlando. The gas stations closest to the airport routinely charge $5/gallon and up. I wouldn't buy a candy bar at those POS businesses, let alone a drop of gasoline.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Most renters won't accept the rent-a-car companies pricey gas plans, but instead agree to bring the car back with a full tank (tank on the way to the airport because the gauge will still show "full" by the time they get there)
That is going to change.
Now Avis and soon Hertz (and most likely the rest will follow the suit) will be using electronic meters that can tell how much gas is missing from your tank, down to 1/10 of a gallon, and charge you at the rate of over $9/gal for it.

Rental car companies gauge the benefits of a new technology to measure fuel use - The Washington Post
thanks for the info. That is very interesting and something for us all to watch out for.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 AM

23,515 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Thanks for the info. I travel a lot on business and when flying to a destination city, always rent a car. I will be alert about this. I always fill it up at the closest gas station I can find at the car rental dropoff location when returning the caar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel