Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:11 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend any good tour groups in South Africa? I have decided I definitely want to go to Kruger National Park and Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park as my top priorities. If anyone knows of any companies that tour these areas in particular I would appreciate it.

If there are not any good tour groups, has anyone ever traveled to these places on their own? I am not against renting a car if need be, provided the roads are safe. How do they compare to roads in the USA? As far as the roads themselves being safe, would I be safe driving around on my own?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 02:16 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Having done Vacation in both Kenya / Tanzania / Egypt. I would say DON'T do it alone, go with some sort of orgizined group.

Will save you hours of logistic headaches,

Where is there Gas? When is it open? O Power Failure, no gas.
What you gave my hotel room to that tour bus?

Can't give you any suggested tour companies, but i'm sure they are out there.
Also look for UK (England) based ones. SA being a part of the commonwealth there are still strong ties in the tourism area.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Having done Vacation in both Kenya / Tanizia / Egypt. I would say DON'T do it alone, go with some sort of orgizined group.

Will save you hours of logistic headaches,

Where is there Gas? When is it open? O Power Failure, no gas.
What you gave my hotel room to that tour bus?

Can't give you any suggested tour companies, but i'm sure they are out there.
Also look for UK (England) based ones. SA being a part of the commonwealth there are still strong ties in the tourism area.
I didn't even think about that. Good idea! Thanks for the rest of the advice as well.

I should also specify, I am looking for tour groups that aren't for older people. I'm 32 so one for people closer to that age group would be better. And please no "singles" tours.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:51 PM

58 posts, read 96,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I didn't even think about that. Good idea! Thanks for the rest of the advice as well.

I should also specify, I am looking for tour groups that aren't for older people. I'm 32 so one for people closer to that age group would be better. And please no "singles" tours.
A 'gap year' style tour might best suit yourself. Do you want it be within Southern Africa or specifically the nation of South Africa? I have found some tours you might be interested in. Many involve volunteering part of the time at schools, villages and nature reserves. I have to say its one of the most rewarding experiences to volunteer. Please, consider it; you'll meet some great people, help out and feel proud at the work you've done. Take a look at the following:

South Africa Experience (2 weeks)

Kruger to Coast Adventure (4 weeks)

Zambia Expedition (48 days)

Cape Town to Nairobi Trail (40 days)

Southern Africa Desert Tracker (25 days)

South Africa Adventure (2 weeks)

EDIT: It appears I haven't been on this forum long enough to post links.. *sigh*

Last edited by yabadabadooo; 10-06-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabadabadooo View Post
A 'gap year' style tour might best suit yourself. Do you want it be within Southern Africa or specifically the nation of South Africa? I have found some tours you might be interested in. Many involve volunteering part of the time at schools, villages and nature reserves. I have to say its one of the most rewarding experiences to volunteer. Please, consider it; you'll meet some great people, help out and feel proud at the work you've done. Take a look at the following:

South Africa Experience (2 weeks)

Kruger to Coast Adventure (4 weeks)

Zambia Expedition (48 days)

Cape Town to Nairobi Trail (40 days)

Southern Africa Desert Tracker (25 days)

South Africa Adventure (2 weeks)

EDIT: It appears I haven't been on this forum long enough to post links.. *sigh*
Thanks! I'll take a look at these. 32 isn't too old to travel with students on a gap year is it?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:19 PM

58 posts, read 96,824 times
Quote:
Thanks! I'll take a look at these. 32 isn't too old to travel with students on a gap year is it?
I wouldn't say so, although expect the vast majority of the people to be younger than you. There would probably be some older than you, as well, I would say. Typical caters for the 18-35 range. As long as you're fit, healthy and in that vague age bracket, you'll be good to go.

If they don't sound like they're for you, then you could try these tours;

South African Explorer (2 weeks)

South Africa Tour (17 days)

Self-drive South Africa Tour (2 weeks)

Hope I helped

Last edited by yabadabadooo; 10-06-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 07:20 PM

You've helped, thanks! Have you come across any that include Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park?

Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
Quote:
Can anyone recommend any good tour groups in South Africa? I have decided I definitely want to go to Kruger National Park and Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park as my top priorities. If anyone knows of any companies that tour these areas in particular I would appreciate it.

If there are not any good tour groups, has anyone ever traveled to these places on their own? I am not against renting a car if need be, provided the roads are safe. How do they compare to roads in the USA? As far as the roads themselves being safe, would I be safe driving around on my own?

Thanks!
I had to do a lot of field work in South Africa, Kenya, and Zambia in the 1980s for my job as a biologist. My ex and I did these trips together, and always by ourselves, though we had contacts with biologists in Johannesburg and Port Shepstone. But that was quite awhile ago, so I don't know the current situation in South Africa; it was under apartheid when we visited.

But I strongly encourage you to go to those parks, though we only visited Kruger. The park has little huts called rondavels that you can rent. They are like self-contained, round motel rooms. The park is so large you can't see it all in one day, but if you don't have more time, you can still see enough to make it worth going.

We did have to laugh at the very politely worded notices on the back of the front doors - where most hotels tell you where the fire exit is and when check-out time is. There were some intrusions from Mozambique rebels during the time we were there and the notices read: "In the event of armed attack from Mozambiquean rebels, please remain in your room and lie on the floor. Armed guards will assist you in an emergency." It wasn't that the situation was funny, it was just how matter-of-factly the notice read.

Also, if you get a chance, go to Cape Town. We drove the Garden Route all along the southern coast to get there and it's fabulous. Take the tram up to Table Mountain and go to Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. Cape Town is one of the few places I've visited in the world that I would seriously like to return to, though I probably never will, as there are too many places I haven't been to that are still waiting for me!

Old 10-07-2013, 05:07 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,711 times
Gate 1 Travel is great. I'm going on one of their packages later this year.

Africa Tours, Africa Vacation Packages & Safari Tours - www.gate1travel.com

Old 10-07-2013, 08:27 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
I think we exchanged some posts in your previous thread, yes? -
You DO NOT need a tour group in S. Africa, the infrastructure is very well-developed. Although SA has some problems, this is not Kenya or Tanzania. You DO NOT need some fancy safari...you just need a rental car and a guide book and some common sense on where to go and not to go. There are no problems with car rentals. Roads are excellent and of US quality, you just have to be wary of the locals walking a cow across the road now and then. Stay out of the former townships and big cities like Josburg. You won't of course get that Africa experience there anyways. The national parks, like I wrote you in a previous thread, are not much different in terms of infrastructure and ease of visitation to US national parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel