Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:06 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times

Advertisements

We just got back from visiting Arches, Zion, Lake Powell, and the Grand Canyon. We skipped Hoover Dam (not enough time, and there is Glen Canyon Dam near Lake Powell that also offers tours, though we didn't go on that tour). We went to Yellowstone a few years back.

There are numerous places to camp, both public and private, in these areas. A camping guide would likely be your best resource here. I don't camp, so I really can't give any advice on if it is "comfortable." We visited the desert west just last month, and they had cooler than normal temps. I've come to the conclusion that you can't predict temps during the spring and fall months, they can be all over. Usually if you go in the summer, it will be warm or hot and in the winter, cool or cold.

As far as things worth seeing, just visited the webpages for all the national parks. Find the hiking page and read. I didn't care too much for Arches, to barren for me. Zion was cool, and they have the Angle's Landing hike. I didn't have time to hike to Angle's Landing, but I did hike to the emerald pools, and it was a really neat area. Not a hard hike at all, maybe three miles total (I hiked another trail that connected to this trail). There are literally tons of places to see and/or hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,974 times
Working on adjusting my route with the suggestions you guys have posted. Has anyone here been to Cedar Breaks National Monument?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:56 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Working on adjusting my route with the suggestions you guys have posted. Has anyone here been to Cedar Breaks National Monument?
We also went to Cedar Breaks NM. It is really cool. They have a small visitor center, and a road that wraps around the east side of the canyon. Along the road there are two or three pull-offs. There are some hiking trails, but I didn't hike any of them because it was cold and we didn't have time.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
We also went to Cedar Breaks NM. It is really cool. They have a small visitor center, and a road that wraps around the east side of the canyon. Along the road there are two or three pull-offs. There are some hiking trails, but I didn't hike any of them because it was cold and we didn't have time.
Cool I will try to drive by and check out some of the scenic points since it isn't too far from Zion NP and Bryce.

What are some good places you saw in Yellowstone? How was Lake Powell? What did you end up doing in the Grand Canyon?

I should mention I have drive I-70 before on my drives to Breckenridge and Vail.

Last edited by hooplaman; 11-11-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
What are some good places you saw in Yellowstone? How was Lake Powell? What did you end up doing in the Grand Canyon?
Yellowstone had many sites and is worth as many days as you can spare there. You will of course see old faithful and probably artists point. That's like going to New York and seeing the statue and the empire state. But there are many other smaller sites to drive to and of course great trails to hike. The best part about Yellowstone is its wildlife. You WILL see bison and probably elk. There is also a good chance you could see see moose, bears, wolfs, eagles and much more. I saw a grizzly bear fishing in the river one time there. So the more time you have there the better.

Lake Powell is best if you have a boat. If not, you can certainly hike parts of it, but it's best to do as a separate trip by water.

Most people experience the Grand Canyon by just looking at it from the rim. Hiking into it can be memorable if you have time, especially if you can get all the way down to the water. But it's a long, hot hike, and probably not something you should do alone. Besides, it's a lot more interesting to look at from the top. The best way to see the interior is by raft, but that's a difficult and expensive proposition. You could also take a helicopter tour if you want to splurge on something and really get a great view of the canyon.

You've gotten a lot of advice. Most of it is good, but some of it is conflicting. There is nothing wrong with getting a 'sampler platter' for your first experience. The more you see, the more you'll know for later when you're ready to drill down deeper. No trip out west is complete without seeing the pacific, and SF's Golden Gate bridge is bar none the most exciting spot to do that from for your very first time. So your itinerary look really solid to me assuming you understand how much driving it really entails. I made a few minor suggestions for some route tweaks, and I had a few more ideas since then if you want to know, but overall it looks like you will have an efficient and memorable trip. Just make sure to get AAA card or something like that first.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Yellowstone had many sites and is worth as many days as you can spare there. You will of course see old faithful and probably artists point. That's like going to New York and seeing the statue and the empire state. But there are many other smaller sites to drive to and of course great trails to hike. The best part about Yellowstone is its wildlife. You WILL see bison and probably elk. There is also a good chance you could see see moose, bears, wolfs, eagles and much more. I saw a grizzly bear fishing in the river one time there. So the more time you have there the better.

Lake Powell is best if you have a boat. If not, you can certainly hike parts of it, but it's best to do as a separate trip by water.

Most people experience the Grand Canyon by just looking at it from the rim. Hiking into it can be memorable if you have time, especially if you can get all the way down to the water. But it's a long, hot hike, and probably not something you should do alone. Besides, it's a lot more interesting to look at from the top. The best way to see the interior is by raft, but that's a difficult and expensive proposition. You could also take a helicopter tour if you want to splurge on something and really get a great view of the canyon.

You've gotten a lot of advice. Most of it is good, but some of it is conflicting. There is nothing wrong with getting a 'sampler platter' for your first experience. The more you see, the more you'll know for later when you're ready to drill down deeper. No trip out west is complete without seeing the pacific, and SF's Golden Gate bridge is bar none the most exciting spot to do that from for your very first time. So your itinerary look really solid to me assuming you understand how much driving it really entails. I made a few minor suggestions for some route tweaks, and I had a few more ideas since then if you want to know, but overall it looks like you will have an efficient and memorable trip. Just make sure to get AAA card or something like that first.
Cool! Thanks for all your help I will send you a PM once I get all the places I want to see on my map organized. Then I can play with the routes I need to take...

I really love going into these amazing places at night but I am not sure if the national parks let you in at night. I got into Acadia National Park at night through some back roads and honestly it was an amazing experience. It almost rivaled the night sky in the Himalayas! I am especially interested in check it out in Arches National Park.

What else do people usually do at night when they go camping?

Currently working on planning my visit at Arches National Park but I am struggling with one thing.

I had
Goosenecks State Park, Monument Valley, and Natural bridges monument in my arches national park plan. It would eat up a whole day to see these 3 locations. I could possibly fit in a sunrise trip to Mesa arch and Dead Horse Point since I hear they are the best at sunrise? But it would be a long long day. Should I just stick to Canyonlands, Dead horse point, and Arches National Park instead and increase my days there?

I am pretty sure considering my decent hiking experience I can do the primitive loop and delicate arch all in one day. And then the second day hit up Deadhorse point/Mesa Arch. Not sure what else I can see in Canyonlands considering I won't have a 4x4.

Last edited by hooplaman; 11-11-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
What else do people usually do at night when they go camping?
Drink beer and smoke weed.
I'm not advocating either but it's true.

Most National Parks don't lock their entrance gates at night. You just have to self pay and it will be checked on the way out. Also, if you get caught driving around without a pass, its about fine. But I haven't made the rounds to a lot of the nat'l parks in recent years so that may have changed.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Drink beer and smoke weed.
I'm not advocating either but it's true.

Most National Parks don't lock their entrance gates at night. You just have to self pay and it will be checked on the way out. Also, if you get caught driving around without a pass, its about fine. But I haven't made the rounds to a lot of the nat'l parks in recent years so that may have changed.
Excellent! Haven't smoked in ages so I will stick to beer. I was working out logistics of that by getting a different camelback for my beer than my water.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 PM

Alright so need some assistance in my planning at Canyon Lands.

I know I am going to go to Mesa Arch in the morning but I am unsure of which trails are the best in the park.

My options are...

Short Hikes:
Aztec Butte Trail
Grand View Point Trail
Upheaval Dome Overlook Trail
Whale Rock Trail

Longer Hikes:
Lathrop Canyon
Murphy Loop
Syncline Loop
Taylor Canyon

And around the needles my options are...

Short Hikes:
Cave Spring Trail
Pothole Point Trail
Roadside Ruin Trail
Slickrock Trail

Long Hikes:
Chesler Park Loop
Elephant Canyon
Confluence OVERLOOK
Peakaboo Trail
Lower Red Lake Canyon
Salt Creek Canyon

Going to really need some guidance to pick out the best hikes because of my limited time. I plan to start hiking at 5 AM because I am going to be at Mesa Arch watching the sunrise.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Keep your eyes open for things between your target destinations. That's the real America, in between the tourist sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel