Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,208 times

Advertisements

Do you think Germans are accepting of Texans and would they be generally more accepting of a Texan with Germany ancestry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 08:44 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I'm not even sure how a German would know that a tourist was from Texas, unless he is wearing a T-shirt that proclaims "I am from Texas!"

My experience in Germany, as a non-Texan tourist from the USA, is that the people are dignified and very willing to be helpful. Everywhere I went in Germany, people were patient with me as I tried to communicate with my 10 words of German and their old high school English. We managed to get the communicating done, and since I am a cheerful person, the exchange always ended up with smiles.

Don't mistake their dignity for lack of friendliness, they are fine people.

But still, I suspect that most Europeans don't even know where Texas is located. It's not their country and it is not their history. There is no reason why a tourist from Texas would be treated any differently than a tourist from Pennsylvania or a tourist from North Dakota.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:07 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
> But still, I suspect that most Europeans don't even know where Texas is located.

I'll bet far more Germans can identify Texas than Texans who can find Munich.

> Do you think Germans are accepting of Texans

In Europe being loud and overbearing is frowned upon. If that is you (Texan or whatever) then expect to be...not liked.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Just wear your "Schlitterbahn Waterpark" Texas T-shirt and you will be accepted!

You don't really need to mention you are from TX.... but I find if you are VISITING Germany you will be treated kindly. Living there... is a bit more complex, but still welcoming. If not... go next door to Denmark!

Bring some BBQ!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:10 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretch E Petch View Post
Do you think Germans are accepting of Texans and would they be generally more accepting of a Texan with Germany ancestry?
it vood help iffen you SPEEK wid a German achtsint!!! like so

Old 02-02-2014, 11:29 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not even sure how a German would know that a tourist was from Texas, unless he is wearing a T-shirt that proclaims "I am from Texas!"

My experience in Germany, as a non-Texan tourist from the USA, is that the people are dignified and very willing to be helpful. Everywhere I went in Germany, people were patient with me as I tried to communicate with my 10 words of German and their old high school English. We managed to get the communicating done, and since I am a cheerful person, the exchange always ended up with smiles.

Don't mistake their dignity for lack of friendliness, they are fine people.

But still, I suspect that most Europeans don't even know where Texas is located. It's not their country and it is not their history. There is no reason why a tourist from Texas would be treated any differently than a tourist from Pennsylvania or a tourist from North Dakota.

I'm betting a Texan tourist would be easy to spot compared to a tourist from PA or ND.

ATTITUDE would give a Texan away.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:00 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
What do you mean by that? Your father came to the US in the '70s and you are able to communicate in German or your family moved to Texas back in 1837?

Option 2 won't be of much interest to the average German. Option 1 would make communication with the locals a lot easier.
In any case: I doubt you'll receive any special treatment for being Texan in Germany. People will be friendly and helpful Most of them won't care where you are from, so there is no need to lie

Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
As long as you don't order barbecued brisket with your schnitzel you will be ok.

Frankly, this can't be a serious subject is it?

Old 02-02-2014, 01:37 PM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Is this question for real?

Old 02-02-2014, 01:39 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,490 times
George W. Bush once got flogged in Germany with a Bratwurst, but I don't think that had anything to do with the fact that he's a Texan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel