Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:06 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

Starting to think I am going to die on a plane crash!

You're much more likely to die during the car trip from your house to the airport and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Alcohol will make it worse. See you doctor about it and he/she can prescribe something for the flight.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Considering the very large number of people who suffer from the same phobia in comparison to the number of people who actually die in plane crashes, you're wasting your time. As recommended earlier, get a prescription for tranquilizers and take one earlier in the day before flying and re-up once you're at the airport or perhaps even on the plane (my wife has a similar issue and that's what she does).

I wanted to also share that I can relate all too well. I used to suffer panic attacks during bad turbulence often convincing myself "this was it". But during perhaps the worst flight of my life I had an epiphany that has since completely changed my way of thinking about flying. We were passing through an electrical storm with bolts of lightning visible all around the plane and with sudden drops rivaling the best roller-coasters I've ever been on. White knuckled and trying to breath I was looking all around me and realized that there were two types of flyers on that plane with me; us white-knucklers waiting for the crash and the experienced travelers who weren't even acknowledging all the excitement. Seeing such a binary contrast made me realize that all of my freaking out was for naught, I was already on the plane and whatever was going to happen was going to happen. Realizing that my internal insanity was wasted energy and stress I suddenly just let it go and it's been gone ever since. And a few years later when I found myself flying all over the world almost every week I started thinking about the shear number of flights made each day, how many related accidents you hear about and how many car accidents I could recall all around the same time. It dawned on me that I should be infinitely more concerned driving in a car than getting on an airplane and that permanently cemented it for me, I never think twice about flying... ever.

Get the tranquilizers and let it go, you're making yourself crazy for nothing.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:53 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Folks, telling someone with anxiety that they're more likely to do die in a car crash than in a plane crash ... not necessarily helpful.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:53 AM

229 posts, read 423,635 times
Try this program: Fear of Flying - SOAR Course - Free Online Videos for Fear of Flying

One of the best things I ever did to get over my anxiety. I don't work for them, but their approach is one of the best ever to combat and get to the root of flying anxiety. The guy that invented it is a former pilot and now a trained psychologist that has figured out the cause of most people's flying woes. Check out the forums there and see if it interests you. They do group chats on a conference line weekly (free), and he'll even do a phone call or two with you to help answer any questions or concerns you have. Most programs out there will target some form of CBT or just give you meds which don't attack the root of what's causing the stress. I tried them all and when I found SOAR it was life changing!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
OP, one thing I forgot to mention is that it often helps me to consider that to the pilots, turbulence is like pot holes. The smoother flights are like driving on well-maintained roads; the choppier flights are like driving in downtown DC. ;-)

Once I have that connection in my head, I'm calmer. There's something benign about potholes.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I know this is me just being crazy, but why am I terrified to fly? I haven't always been, but recently I have been. So here is the back story. I was never scared to fly but as I have gotten older I get more and more scared to.

I went to Jamaica in January and before the we flew, I kept thinking to myself what if the plane crashes? What if we die? Same way upon our return. Safe and sound and at home. One week after getting back from Jamaica, found out that there is a family emergency in South America I have to go to, I leave on Wednesday. It's for a relative that has less than a few months to live most likely. For the past two weeks I have convinced myself that I will die on this plane crash. My anxiety about the trip on Wednesday is driving me nuts. I don't want to go on the flight at all.

However I am thinking my anxiety is just based on a few facts. I am just going through a lot of anxiety lately:

1. My relative this is the last time I will see him and this will be my goodbye to him, which makes me dread the trip and dread seeing him in the condition he will be in
2. The day after I return from this trip I am putting in my resignation in at work which really worries me how the reception will be.
3. I am joining a startup company and it is a BIG risk and has me nervous, I am even moving in with my dad just to make sure I am financially comfortable.
4. Ever since Jamaica I have been making strides to be positive and outgoing. EVERYTHING in my life right now is going so well. Dating this great girl, I will start a new job that I am THRILLED about and it is a life passion and my social life has gone back to normal. My life is going so great right now, I just am fearful and don't want to risk anything to ruin it.
5. I am just a nervous flyer. 5-10 years ago I loved flying. Nowadays? Every little jerk or turbulence gives me crazy anxiety. I used to love turbulence back in the day!

So why do I keep telling myself I am going to die on this flight? Has anyone else had this feeling? Everyday I look at stats of plane crashes to help convince me that is is super safe.

I just want to get this all over with.
It's age related. I have flown my whole life, and up until recently really enjoyed it.

In recent years, and especially on trips to Europe, I have had terrible anxiety.

What did I do?

I prayed, and I distracted myself any way I could possibly find: music, movie, reading, etc.,etc.

Then, I reminded myself that I was a Federal Air Marshal and it's my job! (JK! I thought you could use the laugh!!)

Old 02-24-2014, 12:05 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
Maybe you think you are due something bad because everything is going so well for you and you have so much you're looking forward to and so much to live for? I hate flying. For me, it's not so much the fear of crashing, but being cramped in so close to so many people and no way to get off the plane. It makes me really anxious. I wouldn't suggest getting hammered, but a drink or two does help me take the edge off. A glass of wine relaxes me! I also make sure to take books and my Kindle Fire that I have loaded up with TV shows and movies I've been looking forward to seeing. Distraction really helps.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Wow you guys are terrific. You have no idea how much you have helped me. I actually 100x better about this trip now. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Old 02-24-2014, 03:32 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Maybe you think you are due something bad because everything is going so well for you and you have so much you're looking forward to and so much to live for? I hate flying. For me, it's not so much the fear of crashing, but being cramped in so close to so many people and no way to get off the plane. It makes me really anxious. I wouldn't suggest getting hammered, but a drink or two does help me take the edge off. A glass of wine relaxes me! I also make sure to take books and my Kindle Fire that I have loaded up with TV shows and movies I've been looking forward to seeing. Distraction really helps.

I think that is a big reason. 2013 for me was a horrible year and I have made the effort to make sure 2014 is one of the best years. All those efforts are starting to pay off and life is going GREAT! I have done so much to improve my life that I just don't want to do anything that might risk it ruining that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel