Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 02:24 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,208,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Moving a person's bag probably means you're trying to find room for your bag.

What if everyone who headed to the back left their bag in the front, leaving no space for those in front to put their bags in the overhead compartment?

FAs could take the front bags to the back, but think of the fiasco upon landing, with all the folks up front shoving their way to the back to search for their bags. And for what?

It's so strange that those who say there are no rules about where they can park their bags, also insist that the rule is no one touch these bags they've left behind.
I'm fine with someone touching my bag to try and make room in the bin, but don't take it out and leave it in the aisle as people have mentioned earlier in the thread. That is what I was stating would be a form of passive contention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 02:51 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I'm fine with someone touching my bag to try and make room in the bin, but don't take it out and leave it in the aisle as people have mentioned earlier in the thread. That is what I was stating would be a form of passive contention.

I recently removed someone's bag from 'my' overhead bin because they were sitting 15 rows behind me and thought it was perfectly ok to use whatever bin they wanted. It wasn't ok...use the bin above your own seat...especially when it's already empty.

If you want to leave your carry-on closer to the front of the plane, buy a seat closer to the front of the plane. They complained to the flight attendant who promptly took their bag and stowed in the empty bin right above their head.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:41 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Obviously with children or impaired people it makes sense, but single people who rush to sit on the plane just to sit there doing nothing for literally an hour before takeoff. Why? I actually find it a troubling curiosity of humankind that people get so cutthroat to board a thing that won't leave until everyone is on anyway...
I think it's a status thing.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 PM

431 posts, read 474,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
There are certain 'pleasantries' or 'behaviors' which you will find are associated with air travel.

You don't recline your seat, for one.

And you don't 'hog' the overhead bin space.

Some people get on with an assigned seat in row 43.....but they dump their legions of crap in the bins right over the first couple of rows of seats so they don't have to lug it to the back of the plane. Unless you are on the plane first to 'defend' the space over your seat (which in my mind is part of the space for which I paid) you have a good chance of finding someone's tourist purchases, shopping crap, farm implements, camping gear, and lord only knows what it is that people cart around with them, in the bin above your seat.

I am sort of ashamed of my behavior, but if the bin is full, and the immediate one's around it are full, I ask the people in my row if the stuff is theirs, and if it isn't , I 'make space' for my stuff over my seat. Sometimes you just 'shrink it', other times you move it, and other times the cabin attendants will move it to another location. If it is BIG, they will simply put it down below. They "get it", but I am sure they are sick of dealing with it.

That's the primary reason for boarding sooner rather than later.
I recline my seat cus that is part of what i pay for when i buy a ticket ( my space)

no body except cabin crew tells me * i cant recline* during meals i dont and if its very inconvenient to the passenger behind and they **ask *me nicely to keep it upright i do thats courtesy
the space above your seat is not yours but the right to recline is
..there isnt room for everyones bag in the 3 set up to go in the overhead bin SOMEBODY has to find space elsewhere . just consider every else thats all
travel by plane these days is not pleasant by being dictatorial about it makes it worse for every passenger involved

Last edited by JohnA151; 03-23-2014 at 12:56 AM..

Old 03-22-2014, 11:55 PM

431 posts, read 474,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You're right. If the seat reclines, the passenger is fully in their rights to recline it. I don't recline because I know how much I hate it when the person in front of me reclines, and I don't want to do that to the person behind me.

I'd love it if coach seats didn't recline. There's just not enough space between the rows. I nearly had the screen on my laptop destroyed when the person sitting in front of me slammed their seat back. Once they're reclined, there's no way for me to get any work done because I have to tilt the screen forward and can't see what I'm working on.
the point here is the passenger in front of you has a RIGHT ( unless certain rules forbid it )to recline his /her seat you dont have a RIGHT to use your laptop remember other folks have rights as well as you

Old 03-23-2014, 03:21 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
the point here is the passenger in front of you has a RIGHT ( unless certain rules forbid it )to recline his /her seat you dont have a RIGHT to use your laptop remember other folks have rights as well as you

exactly! I don't get those who say who can't/shouldn't recline your seat on a plane...well, I paid for the seat therefore I'm going to use the seat. Reclined or upright, it's my right as the ticketholder. If the person behind me has long legs, they should've sat in the emergency exit row or first class. I choose my seat long before I fly and I pay extra for that seat if I have to..(one main reason I won't fly Southwest..I dont' care how cheap the tickets are the animals that use that airline are ridiculous)

Old 03-23-2014, 03:47 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
What if everyone who headed to the back left their bag in the front, leaving no space for those in front to put their bags in the overhead compartment?

FAs could take the front bags to the back, but think of the fiasco upon landing, with all the folks up front shoving their way to the back to search for their bags. And for what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I'm fine with someone touching my bag to try and make room in the bin, but don't take it out and leave it in the aisle as people have mentioned earlier in the thread.
So, what's the solution to everyone in the back parking their bags in the front?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
I don't have a right to use my laptop? HUH?!?

And perhaps your reading comprehension needs work, but I recognized that they have a right to recline. I also have a right to wish they didn't, and wish that the seats didn't recline at all.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I don't have a right to use my laptop? HUH?!?

I recognized that they have a right to recline. I also have a right to wish they didn't, and wish that the seats didn't recline at all.
I don't think it will be long before airline seats don't recline. The airlines keep inching seats closer and closer together until it is near impossible for the window seat person to get out if the seats in front are reclining. In an emergency, this would be a safety hazard.

Not to mention all the arguments that would be avoided.

I've read about a device called the Knee Defender, a block that can be inserted to keep the seat in front of you from reclining. As you might imagine, there've been heated confrontations over this.

Ryanair is now installing seats that don't recline. I suspect airlines with the longer flights will follow suit as they upgrade.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 03-23-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 03-23-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
What would a passenger do if someone up front inadvertently took their bag off with them? How would you ever locate it?
So how would a passenger go about finding a bag that someone else accidentally deplaned with?

I guess you would start with the airline and see if it perhaps your bag had been moved to another location on the plane.

But then what? Would airport security launch a search for your bag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel