Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,442,881 times

Advertisements

Hi,Im putting my daughters airline ticket to Washington state from Newark NJ on my credit card, flying united, not booked yet, will they require the credit card upon check in? haven't flown in many years and do believe now you can check in online prior to getting to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:19 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,007,300 times
If you purchase the ticket ahead of time there will be no need to show your credit card at check in. You can check in online. Most airlines will even let you pay for checked bags when checking in online.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:59 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
You can check in online.
Not necessarily. When traveling with a lap child, someone in a wheelchair or other non-standard passengers, you will not usually be allowed to check in online and must go to the service desk to check in with an agent. In this case you will just need to present a valid ID which matches the name of the passenger. It doesn't matter who paid for it and with which card, as long as the passenger name is the same as the person checking in.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:00 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Domestic using an American carrier is normally perfectly fine to not have the card. The times when it comes up are generally with some Asian carriers and for some African destinations where there have historically been a high number of tickets bought with stolen credit cards. So if you ever have to send a daughter to Ghana or Nigeria and want to use the credit card of a person who won't be traveling with her, that's where the problem comes up. (In that case, don't quote me but buying through a travel agent is supposed to get around that card at check in requirement)

I always do online check-in these days. And even if she's going to use an app on her smartphone as a boarding pass, it's still good to print out any needed boarding passes on paper at home or at a kiosk at the airport because sometimes things do go weird with the airline's computer system and it's good to have a paper record of what you're supposed to get.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
I'm wondering if you are thinking about doing a kiosk check in at the airport---those you either need the credit card the ticket was booked on or a frequent flier card. If you do an online check in the day before, you shouldn't need the credit card.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,278,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I'm wondering if you are thinking about doing a kiosk check in at the airport---those you either need the credit card the ticket was booked on or a frequent flier card. If you do an online check in the day before, you shouldn't need the credit card.
The kiosks I've used take either a credit card (not the CC used to purchase, but a CC in the passenger's name), a frequent flier number, or you can search by name and destination city/flight number.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:41 PM

639 posts, read 972,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The kiosk doesn't read the card it was purchased with, just that it matches the name the reservation is under. Whatever card you pull out, as long as the names match, will work at a kiosk.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:40 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times
We pay for our Ugandan 'daughter' to fly to the UK and she certainly doesn't have our credit card at check-in. No problem.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:10 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Hi,Im putting my daughters airline ticket to Washington state from Newark NJ on my credit card, flying united, not booked yet, will they require the credit card upon check in? haven't flown in many years and do believe now you can check in online prior to getting to the airport.
No you don't.

You just check in online and print everything off and then go to the airport.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,442,881 times
ok thank you yes we did receive the eticket and its all in her name the only thing is I put it on my credit card which I don't think is going to be a big deal. I will be going with her do drop her off and help her check in since this is the first flying solo. so if they need the card I will be there but I doubt it. thanks for all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel