Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

I'd not settle on just one place but instead do a tour of an area, like Europe as an example.
https://www.google.ca/#q=tour+Europe&safe=active
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Dublin, Ireland has a rich history and offers the treasures of the National Museum of Ireland, the medieval architecture of Christchurch Cathedral and Dublin Castle and is in close proximity to the Boyne Valley and such important ancient sites as Knowth, the Hill of Tara and Newgrange (the oldest building in Europe).

Another good choice would be New York City. While not quite as old as European cities, it has a distinct Art Deco feel to it and offers several World Class museums such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the largest museum of its kind after the Louvre in Paris), the American Museum of Natural History, the Museum of Modern Art and Ellis Island, entry point into America for millions of immigrants. You can also enjoy such recognizable landmarks as the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Chrysler Building and the Statue of Liberty, and take one of dozens of World Class stage productions on Broadway, among countless other intellectually stimulating things to do.

Although I have never been, I have also wanted to visit Washington, D.C. for exactly the same kind of vacation you are looking for.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
London, internationally.

Washington DC, in the US.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Define intellectually stimulated.

In pretty much any foreign country I am pretty much always intellectually stimulated (unless I am in a very touristy area) because I am dealing with a different currency, language/dialect, different customs, etc. Intellectual stimulation does not necessarily have to come from a museum you know?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:16 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
"If you want it, you shall find it." -Me

Depending on what you find interesting, you will not want for choice. As a political scientist, I find politics/history/culture interesting. Protests/rallies? I am there. Museum/holiday for major historical-cultural event that defines the identity of an area? I am there. I was in Hong Kong for their independence/hand-over day, which also doubles as "Protest Day". I got to see huge pro-democracy rallies against the communist government in Beijing. That fascinated me.

A colleague of mine is into urban planning (city development/building), as is her daughter. Her tour guide happened to have a similar background, and they spent a day exploring Hong Kong's water delivery and storm damage prevention systems. That fascinated them.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

In pretty much any foreign country I am pretty much always intellectually stimulated (unless I am in a very touristy area) because I am dealing with a different currency, language/dialect, different customs, etc. Intellectual stimulation does not necessarily have to come from a museum you know?
I think this is an excellent point. It also doesn't necesarily need to be a large city either.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:51 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

When I was in France several years ago, I did go to several small museums and places of interest. But what I came away with were memories of the small everyday life moments.

The smartly dressed young woman bicycling thought the cobbled streets with a basketful of baguettes,

the artfully tied flower posies,

the beautiful pastries and food displayed in the windows,

the magnificent dark clouds forming over the Pope's Palace in Avignon, (blackening an otherwise sunny day) and the deluge that followed as we watched people scrambling for cover from our hotel room,

buying an oil painting of poppies and lavender from a young street artist, which is now hanging directly in front of me as I type,

strolling through the beautiful old Pere Lachaise cemetery,

sipping cafe au lait and eating fresh baked baguettes slathered with sweet butter and jam,

picnicking near the Eiffel Tower with delicacies we purchased in several food stores,

ditching the Versailles tour halfway in to dine on a delicious Salade Nicoise instead,

marveling at the speed and efficiency of the Metro, not to mention the beautiful decor of the stations.

All these and more are what I treasure and remember most vividly.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 AM

39 posts, read 90,032 times
Cities only? How about a country? Malta! It's rich in history AND with a beach Look it up, some great YouTube videos too and for such a tiny place, it's full of goodness!

I have never traveled to lounge around on a beach. I, because I am the one always choosing, always choose places where the kids can learn all sorts of things. We live near Cambridge, UK, and London is fantastic. The museums are free and the girls can learn about science, ancient Greece, Monet, WW2, and even Harry Potter-dom.

Rome is another I imagine. The capital of the Roman Empire. Imagine all the emperors, the slaves and the patricians who used to live there and created history. And then the Vatican!

Amsterdam. That place has all sorts of fascinating things for the little grey cells!! I did the Ann Frank with the girls and my husband did a WW2 tour. There are some fantastic museums too and being a small-ish city, you can easily walk it or rent a bike.

Cadiz, Spain. One of the oldest inhabited city! Andalusia in general is quite fascinating for the mind! Many things you can learn!

Istanbul!! That one should satisfy the intellect! The Ottoman period ended in the early 1900s and Turkey's history goes waaaaaaaay back too.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are lots of places that offer museums and culture, plus history.

Edinburgh Scotland has excellent museums, tons of history, interesting architecture, and good day trips around the area. There are cultural things like plays and music going on. If you want to take a day away from culture, you can go and look for the Loch Ness Monster.

London has a wealth of excellent museums. There's plenty of history, but you will have to do day trips to see architecture. It's close by, though. The Roman museum at Bath is worth a visit. (buildings in London were destroyed by bombs in WWII). If you want culture, Oxford is close by.

Washington DC and NYC are heavy on museums and cultural things like plays and music.
Really!

You surprise me.

London is stuffed cram full of fascinating architecture from back to Roman times all the way through.

Norman, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Neo Classic, Gothic Revival as well as much modern architecture are in abundance in London.

Some buildings were destroyed during WWII but there is tons to see!

You missed out there!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:09 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Oh by far Disney World!

The flora and fawna is astounding! How they manage to grow giant topiary Mickey ears never ceases to amaze. A blue rose? Fantastic!

The culture of Epcot's World Showcase is so broad and encompassing that you can experience all that Europe has to offer without having to deal with smelly Europeans and the poors. In one happy hour you can experience Mexico and the Mayan Ruins right along with an authentic British Pub and Japanese architecture!

The roar of the wild in Animal Kingdom is right up there with the Serengeti! The Tree of Life? The giraffes?

In the Magic Kingdom, you can take a trip back in time and be an actual pirate!!!

There is just too much to discuss about the magical and educational properties of Disney World that one just has to see for themselves.
I assume this is tongue in cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel