Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:59 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times

Advertisements

Well. I guess Mac and the OP are simply too precious and delicate for international travel. I have to go to Geneve every few months and the only daily flight out of here arrives at 6:00 am. I never sleep while flying (can't) but nevertheless a car picks me up and takes me straight to the office where I am in meetings all day. Somehow I manage to survive.

Real Life. It's not for everyone.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 PM

43 posts, read 74,431 times

Wake up refreshed. Sidenote: Why travel on the weekend? It's more expensive, crowded at the local area and you might fall into a Sunday trap where everything is closed. Also, there is always a Bar open if you badly need somewhere to step into

Old 05-15-2014, 01:54 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Holidays are for relaxing though not being uptight and grumpy
Trust me, I much prefer travelling to Europe for fun instead of business. So what is your complaint again?

Old 05-15-2014, 02:04 PM

346 posts, read 498,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
If I know I'm going to be arriving late or perhaps early, I just book the extra day in the hotel and pay in advance. That way, the room is waiting for me when I arrive. This costs a little bit more, but if you want to go to bed when you get there and not wait all day for your room to be ready, I think it's worth it.
I did this exact same thing once when I arrived in Amsterdam at 7am. The travel agent thought I was being silly... Um, no I wasn't! Good thing I thought about this ahead of time, as the hotel was fully booked when a cruise docked there. It was so worth it to check right into a room....otherwise, we'd have had to wait until 3pm. When we arrived and got to the hotel, I was so exhausted I was going to cry like a 3 year old as it was.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:22 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Right; but you won't know that until you get there. Sure, you can ask the hotel before you travel whether early check-in is available, but they'll most likely tell you yes if there's a room available. Which you won't know until you get there.

The only way to be sure of having a room available early is to book it for the night before and let the hotel know that you won't be checking in until the morning.

And I am sure the O.P. isn't overstating the acute discomfort of arriving in Europe early in the morning, desperate for sleep. This happened to me every time I went to Europe. I cannot sleep on an airplane, and if I take drugs or alcohol then I arrive in Europe not only exhausted but groggy or hung over.

Which is why I've called a halt to flying anywhere overnight. Just not gonna do it anymore.

I hear ya; I can't sleep on an airplane either. My two remedies, as stated in my earlier post, are to either take an earlier flight (afternoon or late afternoon), or take a morning flight to London out of JFK, arriving about 9pm their time.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:46 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Traveled to London two times already, managed to survive the journey. To me, the worst part was connecting in Toronto (love Air Canada). The airline is great, but sometimes the waits are a bit long. On the plane, I can take a nap and watch a few movies. Not bad

Old 05-15-2014, 07:37 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You pretty much always waste a day in one direction--usually eastbound from Asia and westbound from Europe.
Well, for Eastern NA at least, you don't really waste much on westbound flights from Europe -- for example I have an upcoming AMS-YYZ flight in a few weeks, takeoff is at 9:35 AM in Amsterdam with an 11:40 AM landing in Toronto. Of course, connecting flights add up, but that is true whether or not you're changing time zones.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:53 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Wink How to survive timezones

When my husband and I travel we start out by not expecting to sleep on the plane, then if we do, it's a bonus. No to alcohol or caffeine, yes to water and juice. Off the plane, we stash our luggage and find fun stuff to do wherever we land. We stumble and bumble around from exhaustion but keep moving. We eat dinner and go to bed at the time zone we are in. we usually need to take a sleeping pill the first night to get to sleep but whatever works. The next morning we get up at local time and start our trip in earnest. We learned to do it this way when we were young, i.e. get on local time right away, traveled this way with kids and do it the same now that we are old. Most recently from west coast of USA to Australia.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Well, for Eastern NA at least, you don't really waste much on westbound flights from Europe -- for example I have an upcoming AMS-YYZ flight in a few weeks, takeoff is at 9:35 AM in Amsterdam with an 11:40 AM landing in Toronto. Of course, connecting flights add up, but that is true whether or not you're changing time zones.
My last flight home from Europe was ATH to PHL connecting to MCO. Had it gone as planned, it would have been 11:00 am departure from ATH arriving around 64:00 pm PHL and an 8:40 pm flight to MCO arriving around 11:00 pm. Hence a full day of travel.

The reality was that the ATH flight was significantly delayed and didn't leve until 6:00pm causing me to miss my connection in PHL and requiring an overnight. I was rebooked on the first flight the next am around 6:15 and arrived MCO around 8:30 am.

It depends on where on the east coast you are going, and which city you are leaving from. Keep in mind that much of Europe is not located along the Atlantic coastline, and many airports (even large ones like MCO) in eastern NA don't have direct service to much of Europe

Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My last flight home from Europe was ATH to PHL connecting to MCO. Had it gone as planned, it would have been 11:00 am departure from ATH arriving around 64:00 pm PHL and an 8:40 pm flight to MCO arriving around 11:00 pm. Hence a full day of travel.

The reality was that the ATH flight was significantly delayed and didn't leve until 6:00pm causing me to miss my connection in PHL and requiring an overnight. I was rebooked on the first flight the next am around 6:15 and arrived MCO around 8:30 am.

It depends on where on the east coast you are going, and which city you are leaving from. Keep in mind that much of Europe is not located along the Atlantic coastline, and many airports (even large ones like MCO) in eastern NA don't have direct service to much of Europe
Perhaps I should clarify what I meant by "wasting" a day, maybe you'll see it as moving the goalposts Of course traveling takes time when you fly long distances, that much is true whether your trips spans 10 time zones or it's a big north-south flight. (I quoted AMS-YYZ earlier but my full trip is TLL-YQB so I understand what you're saying.) What I meant is with every return trip from NA to Europe, you will lose (i.e. waste) some hours to time changes, and gain the same number of hours to time changes, and as a North American I'm just happy the wasted hours are evening/night hours instead of daytime hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel