Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,354 times

Advertisements

We are planing to have a road trip from Houston to California.

what are the best routes for sight seeing?, this will be out first time going to the west side, we would like to stop at las vegas for a few days too, but other than that we would like some advise.

We are thinking on renting a car and dropping it off in LA, but i dont know if there are any fees for one-way trips on rentals, what would be the best option roundtrip by car or one way and comming back by plane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 AM

403 posts, read 681,671 times
I would highly recommend taking a route that would allow you to spend, at least, a day at the south rim Grand Canyon. The E-W interstate for that would be I-40. Though worthy of a separate, longer trip and stay, it would make for a very memorable stop. Using I-40 would also put you in a good position to head up to Vegas as well.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:34 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
I would highly recommend taking a route that would allow you to spend, at least, a day at the south rim Grand Canyon. The E-W interstate for that would be I-40. Though worthy of a separate, longer trip and stay, it would make for a very memorable stop. Using I-40 would also put you in a good position to head up to Vegas as well.
Flagstaff is a good stop on the way to the Grand Canyon. Alburquerque is nice. Palo Duro Canyon is nice, but pales in comparison to the Grand Canyon. Just that there is not a lot between Austin/San Antonio and New Mexico. Lubbock has some wineries. You might drive by and see the Cadillac Stonhenge near Amarillo. The guy who built that died recently.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,688 times
Hi there, we are also driving up to Cali for some get-away time from Houston.

There are definitely fees for renting a car one way. Your best bet would be to do a round-trip car rental.
We are planning on driving as fast as we can to Cali and just driving up the Coast (a beautiful drive) and stopping at multiple beaches. On the way back you can stop in Vegas and Grand Canyon

Old 06-30-2014, 11:53 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
Good timing as I live in Houston but out in LA right now lol.

I've done numerous road trips to the west coast and recently did a somewhat new route that could be nice for y'all.

First, as others have said there's not much between Houston until about pecos where the mountains start appearing.

But, once you get out west and into New Mexico you could stop in white sands and hangout there for a few hours and have fun (esp if you have kids) either way I find it cool for a quick afternoon hangout.

Next, you can make the drive to Phoenix which is about 6-7 hours. There, you can do lots of hiking in the city like camelback mountain (tough hike) or south mountain, preferably in the evening to catch a gorgeous sunset which Arizona is known for.

From there, this is what I did Friday: I went from Phoenix to Sedona (I-17 to 179). Lots of beautiful scenery along the way and even more once you get to Sedona which has red rock. I then took 89a which runs into i17 again but there's a big viewpoint that's amazing with different changing scenery from the red rock of Sedona.

Once you get to flagstaff you can take i40 west which leads you to an exit for the Grand Canyon if you choose to visit there which is almost another can't miss.

Then, you can decide to either visit Vegas or take i40 towards LA.

Once in CA you have many options but wanted to share options along the way to CA as there's tons of stuff before even getting there lol.

Car rentals...there are fees for a one way. Me and my finance flew into Phoenix, rented a car, did that scenic toad trip to Vegas and then to LA and back to Phoenix to fly back and drop off the rental.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:19 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
I40 puts you close to parts of old Route 66, and some of the classic buildings in towns like Tucumcari NM(which is right off the interstate).

Old 07-03-2014, 01:35 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
I went from Phoenix to Sedona (I-17 to 179). Lots of beautiful scenery along the way and even more once you get to Sedona which has red rock. I then took 89a which runs into i17 again but there's a big viewpoint that's amazing with different changing scenery from the red rock of Sedona.

Love LOVE Sedona and the drive on the 89a to Flagstaff!

Old 07-03-2014, 01:36 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLandin View Post
We are planing to have a road trip from Houston to California.

what are the best routes for sight seeing?, this will be out first time going to the west side, we would like to stop at las vegas for a few days too, but other than that we would like some advise.

We are thinking on renting a car and dropping it off in LA, but i dont know if there are any fees for one-way trips on rentals, what would be the best option roundtrip by car or one way and comming back by plane?
Where in California are you aiming for? San Diego, Los Angeles? If you want to skip the traffic and crowds, you could aim for north of LA and start from there, go up Hwy 1 through Big Sur and past San Francisco to the Redwoods, then travel east to Yosemite? It's glorious!

Last edited by Podo944; 07-03-2014 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: incomplete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel