Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:28 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
But in the incident I brought up, they brought baskets of bread and cups of water to our table withought informing us that we would be charged for them. We did NOT order these items. This is sneaky and deceitful.
No, its not! This might be a common tradition or custom, and the locals know about and accept it. If you see on your table things you didn't order, you should ask if those are free or you need to pay for them.
Do not assume that because something appears on your table, it will be complimentary.
People who travel more just know those things. And first time travelers should take the time and read about culture and customs of countries they plan to visit. That usually can save lots of grief and misunderstandings, and help appreciate other cultures, and their ways to live.
Not everything is like back home, and people who cannot accept that, should carefully choose places they want to visit.

Last edited by elnina; 08-10-2014 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 05:05 PM

506 posts, read 326,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No, its not! This might be a common tradition or custom, and the locals know about and accept it. If you see on your table things you didn't order, you should ask if those are free or you need to pay for them.
Do not assume that because something appears on your table, it will be complimentary.
People who travel more just know those things. And first time travelers should take the time and read about culture and customs of countries they plan to visit. That usually can save lots of grief and misunderstandings, and help appreciate other cultures, and their ways to live.
Not everything is like back home, and people who cannot accept that, should carefully choose places they want to visit.
Now how should we carefully choose places they want to visit? We don't know if a restaurant is honest or a scam.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:33 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh lord, I was well traveled and living in Spain at the time. I had already been to: Mexico(hundreds of times), Haiti, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, England, Switzerland, Germany, Portugal, and France. I am also a bilingual/bicultural person. Is that travel enough for you?

I never had that experience in any other country.

$10-15 euros for tap water and a tiny slice of old bread is a rip-off and I don't agree- I'm not a mind reader. If it would have been a decent charge, I wouldn't have minded actually. I would have understood.

You are right, people should choose carefully where they want to visit. I choose to never visit Rome again.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Was this your first meal in Italy? Because my experience is that it's pretty standard practice almost everywhere in Italy (I've been there about half a dozen times) to have a "cover charge" for bread and stuff.
No, it was not. I had already eaten at quite a few establishments.

So you have always been charged 10-15$ euros for tap water and a slice of old bread? This was not a fancy restaurant by the way, more like a little hole in the wall restaurant.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:45 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
I spent $28.00 for a large Pizza (multiple toppings) at a well-known pizza franchise a few days ago for my office staff. However, I did not call the police for this outrage, but paid the bill. Next time I will refrain from the meatball and olives.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:59 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,494,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
No, it was not. I had already eaten at quite a few establishments.

So you have always been charged 10-15$ euros for tap water and a slice of old bread? This was not a fancy restaurant by the way, more like a little hole in the wall restaurant.
No. The first time we ate out in Italy it happened (although it was more like 1-2 EUR per person for the bread, and never for tap water), so we looked at the menu again and realized it was our oversight (and yes, it was at the bottom of the page like you said). After that, we always sent back any bread that waiters brought automatically, and we always made sure to look at all the prices/fine print when ordering.

I'm just surprised that you hadn't encountered it anywhere before. I have lived and traveled quite a bit in Europe, and it only happened that once -- we learned our lesson after that! Fortunately, it was not a 10-15 EUR lesson, more like a 3-6 EUR lesson for us.

So they actually charged for tap water? I've never encountered that. Did they have a price for tap water on the menu? Some places we've been to didn't "offer" tap water, so we decided whether to pay the price for bottled water or go elsewhere.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:23 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Why do people always think you need to eat out when you go on vacations?

Old 08-10-2014, 07:41 PM

741 posts, read 915,545 times
I loves me some Gelato. Rome prices are tourist prices. Its no different than a beer in a bar in certain places in Manhattan might be $12.

Can't wait for this site to get up and running.

Gelaterias

US based only though and hasn't launched yet.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Why do people always think you need to eat out when you go on vacations?

Because we prefer lodging away from the hustle and noise of the big tourist areas. Breakfast is in our hotel room and involves what we bought from the neighborhood pastry shop, greengrocer, and Carrefour Express, but everything after that for the day is on the road, and you can only eat so many Cliff bars out of my purse before the trip starts being less fun.

I'm okay with spending 5 euros for a glass bottle of Coke at a Paris cafe because you're renting the table space as well as eating and drinking. I get excited when that includes a glass on the side that has three whole regulation-sized ice cubes in it. But I don't want to play 'hunt the fine print' on the menu, and it seems like so much of the Italian tourism system is about trying to pull a fast one on the tourists, and it makes me less motivated to plan a vacation there, for all that the country has a lot to offer.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:07 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
I'm embarrassed for them, lol
No wonder Europe hates U.S. tourists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel