Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 05:22 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of making a trip to Europe next Fall...2015. Would like to see Italy, Greece and maybe France. We need to find great deals if we are going to be able to make it happen.
I was thinking of flying into Brussells and staying in Belgium for a couple days before heading thru France. Then Italy, and Greece. Flying home from Athens. However, I am wondering if there are other towns that likely have cheaper airfare? Not able to check prices for next fall, yet. But, I found some good prices into Brussells for other dates on Icelandair, but flights out of Athens are really expensive.
We're just starting our planning and may spend a month if we can swing it.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 05:37 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Icelandair does not fly to Athens, so you are going to wind up with some codeshare flight if you book with them, that might make it a higher price, But look at other cities, and your routing you can do.

You can book Icelandair one way to Brussels, and take and different airline back.

Btw, if you can take advantage to the free stop over in Iceland... on Icelandair...

Old 10-04-2014, 06:04 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Turkish will sometimes run decent promotional fares into the Athens part of the world, so keep an eye out for their sales.

Dublin is generally one of the cheaper places in Europe to fly into ,if you're then willing to use a mix of low coast air carriers and trains to work your way to Athens.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:33 PM

We're leaving from Athens.....or at least that was what we were thinking. I found the best price to Brussels on Icelandair. But, didn't expect to fly out of Greece on it. Is Greece particularly expensive to fly out of??
Dublin doesn't really fit into our trip, this time. I'll check out Turkish. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2014, 07:01 PM

Flyonpa.....the free stopover sounds great. Have you flown on Icelandair before? The price is decent from PDX. I'm trying to find another city to fly out of, that is close to Greece. Any ideas?
Couldn't get anywhere with Turkish.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:22 PM

I have not been to Iceland yet, Its on my ToDo list.

Two of my officemates have done the Icelandair Stopover, One did on the Way to EU, Other did it on way back.

There are plus and minus to each. But they both said it was worth the stop.

Greece is so far south, you need to trade off time, vs. cost. Turkey, Italy, Albania Serbia....Would take you a days travel (maybe 2) to get to them and the airfare probobly difference would not be worth the transit to get there.

What is your intra EU transit plan? Trains? Intercity Flights, Ferry? Rental Car?

From what you outlined a month is probably not enough.

You might want to do Greece then Italy, and fly back out of Italy,

Old 10-04-2014, 07:40 PM

I picked a random day in June 2015, a Flight from Rome to Portland (with two connections) $786.00 per/person on Turkish Rome-Istanbui-Houston-PDX

Houston - PDX is on codeshare United.

$950 from Athens to PDX on Turkish.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:43 PM

We are just in the beginning of planning stage. We figure that we'll only make it to Europe once, so we want to see as much of the countryside as possible. Probably a mix of transportation. It'll take awhile to figure things out. LOL
It looks like the stopover is either 6 or 8 days? Does that sound right? I had some trouble getting it to work on a one way flight.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I picked a random day in June 2015, a Flight from Rome to Portland (with two connections) $786.00 per/person on Turkish Rome-Istanbui-Houston-PDX

Houston - PDX is on codeshare United.

$950 from Athens to PDX on Turkish.
I couldn't get a quote from Turkish. I got under $600 PP from PDX to Brussels (Icelandair). That's in Sept of 2015.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:58 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Playing around on ITA Matrix:

Matrix - ITA Software

I used depart April 1- return April 30, 2015 figuring it would be a shoulder season booking similar to fall 2015, and I got just shy of $1100 for both a PDX-BRU then Athens-PDX and a PDX-BRU then Rome-PDX open jaw routes that use a combination of Jet Blue and Turkish flights.

As for getting around within Europe, sometimes it's more cost effective to book everything on one ticket, and sometimes it's cheaper to book intra-Europe segments separately. Sometimes a lot cheaper. So play around with different combinations on the fare websites to see what sticks. For our trip this summer, we had one ticket that was VPS, Florida-Edinburgh Scotland and Paris-VPS on Delta, one one way BA ticket that was Edinburgh-London, another one way BA ticket that was London-Munich, and a high speed train ticket to get us from Munich to Paris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel