Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:08 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times

Advertisements

I can't believe you are visiting Paris right now, the weather is awful, gry, drab, cold, humid. You will hear a lot of Parisians complaining about the weather (which is a bit ridiculous since they can't change much, can they?). Good luck waiting in the unending queues at the Louvre in wind , drizzle, and subpolar temperatures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
So sorry to hear you got pickpocketed, but think of it this way: that was your first trip out of the country and you got the bad stuff out of the way early. Things will happen -- bags will be lost, plans screwed up, pickpockets, etc. I've finally come to learn that....but you do what you have to do and move on. At least your situation has a way to be resolved and you got two more days in Paris! Go out and enjoy, and drink the wine! It will get better from here!!!

Old 12-08-2014, 10:27 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I can't believe you are visiting Paris right now, the weather is awful, gry, drab, cold, humid. You will hear a lot of Parisians complaining about the weather (which is a bit ridiculous since they can't change much, can they?). Good luck waiting in the unending queues at the Louvre in wind , drizzle, and subpolar temperatures!
Read a little and you'll have all of your questions answered.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
So sorry to hear you got pickpocketed, but think of it this way: that was your first trip out of the country and you got the bad stuff out of the way early. Things will happen -- bags will be lost, plans screwed up, pickpockets, etc. I've finally come to learn that....but you do what you have to do and move on. At least your situation has a way to be resolved and you got two more days in Paris! Go out and enjoy, and drink the wine! It will get better from here!!!

Thank you.

Today was really the only day I relaxed a little and saw part of the city. In the morning I was able to get my passport and my flight is rebooked so it was a huge weight off my shoulders.

So with only today left, I walked around the city....a lot. I went to Saint Sulpice. I enjoyed it....A LOT. I mean, a whole lot. I visited lots of cafes. I took pics in front of the Eiffel Tower. I went to Rodin but it was closed. I may take a very short break for work around 8 and visit the Christmas market for just a few minutes (if its open...not sure what time everything closes here).

I really can't complain at this point. After everything that's happened I've learned a lot and I still got to see a bit of the city even though I'm here on business. My boss told me just be grateful I'm stuck here in the Intercontinental in Paris as there are a whole lot worse places I could be. She's right.

Yesterday I went to Bastille market. Walked around the entire thing, grabbed some cheap food and sat/people watched/took in the surroundings. That was also probably one of the best parts of this trip (besides this one restaurant we went to...I'll have to post the name of it...best food of my life!).

Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Thank you.

Today was really the only day I relaxed a little and saw part of the city. In the morning I was able to get my passport and my flight is rebooked so it was a huge weight off my shoulders.

So with only today left, I walked around the city....a lot. I went to Saint Sulpice. I enjoyed it....A LOT. I mean, a whole lot. I visited lots of cafes. I took pics in front of the Eiffel Tower. I went to Rodin but it was closed. I may take a very short break for work around 8 and visit the Christmas market for just a few minutes (if its open...not sure what time everything closes here).

I really can't complain at this point. After everything that's happened I've learned a lot and I still got to see a bit of the city even though I'm here on business. My boss told me just be grateful I'm stuck here in the Intercontinental in Paris as there are a whole lot worse places I could be. She's right.

Yesterday I went to Bastille market. Walked around the entire thing, grabbed some cheap food and sat/people watched/took in the surroundings. That was also probably one of the best parts of this trip (besides this one restaurant we went to...I'll have to post the name of it...best food of my life!).
Glad you're making the best of it! Was there something you would have done differently? I ask b/c I'm also going over there in a few months and a friend of mine told me about pick pocketing (not just in Paris, but other places as well) and he made it seem like I basically need to have my personal documents stapled to my body.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Glad you're making the best of it! Was there something you would have done differently? I ask b/c I'm also going over there in a few months and a friend of mine told me about pick pocketing (not just in Paris, but other places as well) and he made it seem like I basically need to have my personal documents stapled to my body.
Do not go out with your personal documents. Leave them in the safe in your room. Make several copies of your passport. I had 5 color copies made; I had one in my coat, one in my purse, one in my suitcase, one with a friend and one in my room. I also had a picture of it on my phone and emailed it to myself. I made the mistake of leaving the hotel in a rush and deciding "I'll put everything away in the safe when I get back." Thus everything was in my wallet. Definitely leave the passport in your safe. And maybe some cash in the safe too? If you have more than 1 card just take one out with you.

Ask yourself this; if all your cards and cash was stolen (ALL of it), what would you do? Do you have your card numbers, expiration dates, etc. memorized? What is your plan to get money if that happens? Think that way and plan accordingly. If I would have thought that way, I would have made copies of my card information and taken a picture of it with my phone. That way I could wire money to myself using one of my cards really quick before cancelling it. But what if all of that stuff AND your cell phone is stolen? Maybe this is info you should leave with a family member or someone you trust just in case. Western Union has a service where you can wire money to yourself in advance of a trip, so you can pick it (or not) if need be. Of course you now these types of services cost money, but think about it as being 'insurance' in case of an emergency.

I think just bring a little cash and 1 credit card with you and leave the rest in your room. If you are a female carry a messenger bag or purse that straps around your body; not a shoulder bag or satchel. Make sure it zips and is not an open bag. Keep some cash in your bra, sock or several places on your body like that.

That's my 0.02...others may say different or have better advice.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
read your plans
what a waste!!! in a city of 300 museums and great food.
you can eat croissants here.
the crazy horse, that is a high end clip joint. money down a toilet
did you say where are all the cheap thrift stores in paris? OMG
get a grip, you are not flying to vegas. get some culture and good food, paris has plenty of both
have fun and dont get mugged.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
read your plans
get a grip, you are not flying to vegas. get some culture and good food, paris has plenty of both

Lol. I did get mugged. And this is a work trip if you didn't read that part; I got in what I could when I could at this point after losing everything. Better luck for some more of that 'culture' you're referring to next time. And what the hell is wrong with thrift stores? If I called them consignment stores would that make a difference? Or they just don't do that in Paris? Hell, I don't know...I did say this was my first time out of the country. At least I made it here...many people die without the privilege of traveling to a foreign country, you know.

In terms of great food, I ate myself silly 24/7 (stuffing myself with croissants as I'm typing this) so as far as that's concerned....mission accomplished.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:16 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
read your plans
I've always enjoyed old-fashioned flea markets in European cities--I can easily imagine that Paris might have some fabulous second-hand clothing stores. And what would be wrong with that?

To the OP, sorry you got mugged, sweetie, glad you're having a good time.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:25 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Do not go out with your personal documents. Leave them in the safe in your room. Make several copies of your passport. I had 5 color copies made; I had one in my coat, one in my purse, one in my suitcase, one with a friend and one in my room. I also had a picture of it on my phone and emailed it to myself. I made the mistake of leaving the hotel in a rush and deciding "I'll put everything away in the safe when I get back." Thus everything was in my wallet. Definitely leave the passport in your safe. And maybe some cash in the safe too? If you have more than 1 card just take one out with you.

Ask yourself this; if all your cards and cash was stolen (ALL of it), what would you do? Do you have your card numbers, expiration dates, etc. memorized? What is your plan to get money if that happens? Think that way and plan accordingly. If I would have thought that way, I would have made copies of my card information and taken a picture of it with my phone. That way I could wire money to myself using one of my cards really quick before cancelling it. But what if all of that stuff AND your cell phone is stolen? Maybe this is info you should leave with a family member or someone you trust just in case. Western Union has a service where you can wire money to yourself in advance of a trip, so you can pick it (or not) if need be. Of course you now these types of services cost money, but think about it as being 'insurance' in case of an emergency.

I think just bring a little cash and 1 credit card with you and leave the rest in your room. If you are a female carry a messenger bag or purse that straps around your body; not a shoulder bag or satchel. Make sure it zips and is not an open bag. Keep some cash in your bra, sock or several places on your body like that.

That's my 0.02...others may say different or have better advice.
This is very good advice, and I'm so sorry you had to learn it the hard way. And on your first trip out of the country too -- what a shame! I hope it doesn't turn you off future travels.

Props to you for overcoming a bad experience and enjoying Paris. Even if the weather is crappy, it's still a wonderful city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel