Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:09 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times

Advertisements

I usually stay at Hilton properties since I am an Honors member and get free nights, etc. I tend to go more for the Hilton Garden Inn's or Hampton or Doubletree as they are usually less expensive. I did stay at a Conrad one time, and it was very nice. I only did it though because I got half off or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Some of you who diss a particular property might want to mention WHERE you had bad experiences because not all properties of all hotel chains are created equal. I've stayed in some excellent Courtyards in NY/NJ/PA/DC, for example. Same with Red Roof Inns. In some cities they are a fine budget option and in safe neighborhoods. Ramada Inns run the gamut from OK to horrendous. Many motels that bear a chain name are actually owned by a franchisee and the corporate namesake has nothing to do with how it is run.

If money were no object, I'd stay at a Four Seasons, a Ritz-Carleton, or one of the restored gems of the Renaissance chain. Then again, those places usually assume guests can afford their own breakfast and don't have freebies. When I'm on my own dime, I'm not fussy, but if I wanted something affordable but nice I'd probably go for a Hilton, Hyatt, Westin, or Fairmont. I avoid Marriotts because I don't like their corporate policies but I've worked for companies that insisted on using them.

When you find something you like, enroll in their frequent guest program and stick with it. It doesn't take long to build up some serious perks on those things. If you're a top user of HiltonHonors, for example, in some of their properties guests have access to a hospitality suite that puts out three free buffets a day and has beverages, snacks, and cookies available all day, along with a concierge to help with reservations and entertainment options.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Homewood Suites is our favorite but we will avoid the ones in big cities after a not-so-wonderful experience in New Orleans.

After that, Country Inns would be above Hampton Inn - some of the older Hampton Inns do not have indoor pools. Wyngate is on a par with Hampton Inn. I would prefer to stay in one of those before opting for a Staybridge just for price.

We do not like full service hotels where everything is an add-on. I want my room to have a coffee maker, refrigerator (small will do) and breakfast included. I do not consider stale donuts and a mini cup of coffee to be breakfast as at the last Days Inn we stayed. In fact, that was the least of the issues with that Days Inn and the reason we will never again stay at one even if there is no other place to stay.

We have stayed at Hilton Garden Inn and it's fine but again the issue is the lack of breakfast and amenities in the room.

We have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express but did stay at a Holiday Inn in Mesa, AZ. It was quite nice and you couldn't beat the price even adding in breakfast. We stayed at the Marriott in downtown Philly and the service was excellent, but I truly prefer less service and more self-service. That excellent service does not apply to Westin and Crown Plaza. In fact, the Crown Plaza went out of their way to not deliver service or provide amenities and we will definitely not be returning there, preferring the Homewood Suites 1/2 mile away.
If you have status with Hilton you get breakfast at the Hilton Garden Inns. Also they usually ahve a fridge, coffee maker, and microwave in the room.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Some of you who diss a particular property might want to mention WHERE you had bad experiences because not all properties of all hotel chains are created equal. I've stayed in some excellent Courtyards in NY/NJ/PA/DC, for example. Same with Red Roof Inns. In some cities they are a fine budget option and in safe neighborhoods. Ramada Inns run the gamut from OK to horrendous. Many motels that bear a chain name are actually owned by a franchisee and the corporate namesake has nothing to do with how it is run.

If money were no object, I'd stay at a Four Seasons, a Ritz-Carleton, or one of the restored gems of the Renaissance chain. Then again, those places usually assume guests can afford their own breakfast and don't have freebies. When I'm on my own dime, I'm not fussy, but if I wanted something affordable but nice I'd probably go for a Hilton, Hyatt, Westin, or Fairmont. I avoid Marriotts because I don't like their corporate policies but I've worked for companies that insisted on using them.

When you find something you like, enroll in their frequent guest program and stick with it. It doesn't take long to build up some serious perks on those things. If you're a top user of HiltonHonors, for example, in some of their properties guests have access to a hospitality suite that puts out three free buffets a day and has beverages, snacks, and cookies available all day, along with a concierge to help with reservations and entertainment options.
Days Inns all over the country, terrible. Same with Motel 6. Red Roof Inns all over the northeast and even into the mid-west and south, terrible. Same with all those budget piece of crap hotels--Travelodge, EconoLodge, Knights Inn, the gamut of the Choice brands, etc. I have never stayed in an acceptable Ramada anywhere. Best Western are far too hit or miss, and usually a major miss. The good ones become Hilton Garden Inns or similar pretty quickly.

After numerous issues with Fairfields, they are off my list these days. Same with Staybridge.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Best Western is often a better option in western national parks areas where chains are somewhat rare or in Europe where they're got some interesting properties. But for a suburban/interstate stay you can probably do better.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:13 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times
I've always found the Jacuzzi suites offered at places like Roadway, Travel Lodge, Econo Lodge, etc. to be awfully tacky.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:25 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
Jacuzzi suites can be a nice touch if you plan on spending the evening with a couple hookers or something. I also enjoy them when staying at beach resorts. Agree that they are sleazy at bottom tier American brands like Travellodge, etc.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I've always found the Jacuzzi suites offered at places like Roadway, Travel Lodge, Econo Lodge, etc. to be awfully tacky.
Given the overall (un) cleanliness levels in those places, why would anyone actually climb into a jacuzzi in one? Generally speaking I do not take a bath in a hotel room.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Jacuzzi suites can be a nice touch if you plan on spending the evening with a couple hookers or something. I also enjoy them when staying at beach resorts. Agree that they are sleazy at bottom tier American brands like Travellodge, etc.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:41 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Lol just keeping it real.

I see the highest frequency of jacuzzi suites in red light districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel