Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:04 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times

Advertisements

Was this before or after you missed your connecting flight because the custom line was too long?

Any seasoned traveler does not put all their eggs in one basket.

Getting popcorn to wait for the outcome of this story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 09:00 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
But you do have Internet since you can post messages here .... ?
I think this is a past tense story. We're supposed to all post what we would do in this situation (which most of us would never find ourselves in the first place) and then the OP will return to wow and amaze us with his savvy and how he got himself out of this situation.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:28 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I think this is a past tense story. We're supposed to all post what we would do in this situation (which most of us would never find ourselves in the first place) and then the OP will return to wow and amaze us with his savvy and how he got himself out of this situation.
Exactly. The story is BS, taken from an old amex commercial from years ago. It's hypothetical. Remote indian village, LOL, uh huh.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Since I'm always traveling with the spousal unit or other family member, it's unlikely we'd both lose wallets at the same time, saved for an armed robbery situation. And if that did happen, local police should let us have access to a phone for a 1-800 number for credit cards and a call to the local embassy if replacement passport/travel document is needed. (Copy of passport and driver's license was made and placed in luggage, hotel safe, e-mailed to self, etc. in the event of such loss of the hpysical document.)

Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
Now that "ImRetiredNow" I usually don't leave the country, but if I did, I would carry American Excess Travellers Cheques. Don't leave home without them!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:47 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Yeah, I would look for a local police station. They won't speak English, but they may have resources that could help you.

Or, if super desperate, you make a sign that says, "Do you speak English? Need help." And walk around town to see if anyone responds.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:04 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
This seems to bear a great resemblance to the email scam of a couple of years ago, in which the scammee's online address book was accessed and fake messages sent to all contacts, seemingly from the scammee, claiming that they were stranded in some remote part of the world due to all their money, credit cards, etc. having been stolen, and begging for money to be sent to them at some unlikely place.

I'd be very surprised if the scenario outlined by the OP really occurred, but assuming it did, I'd find my way to local authorities - police, mayor, whoever is in charge of the tiny village - and ask to be put in touch with the American Embassy in the capitol city.

I'd also ask for assistance from whoever was in charge of the bus tour which took me to this remote place, assuming it was such a tour. If I'd rented a car or taken the train, I'd go the the police. If I were hitch-hiking or just hiking, I'd do the same.

If these ideas failed, I'd go to the local clergy and congregation. If this didn't work either, I'd see if I could do some day work to raise a little cash, as another suggested. I might see if the local school would welcome an interesting foreign visitor as a speaker or teacher's aide, in exchange for a meal or two.

Help is almost always available for those who seek it, in such a situation. The obvious exception would be if the community were in an area affected by war or terrorism, in which case I'd keep as low a profile as possible with local authorities and try to find kind and sane civilians who might offer assistance. But then, I wouldn't travel to such places in the first place!

Edited to take into account the OP's specification of Peru as the country in which this occurred - my initial response was generic, hence my references to areas affected by war and/or terrorism. As far as I know, this is not the case at present in Peru..

Old 11-24-2014, 10:32 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Since I'm always traveling with the spousal unit or other family member, it's unlikely we'd both lose wallets at the same time, saved for an armed robbery situation. And if that did happen, local police should let us have access to a phone for a 1-800 number for credit cards and a call to the local embassy if replacement passport/travel document is needed. (Copy of passport and driver's license was made and placed in luggage, hotel safe, e-mailed to self, etc. in the event of such loss of the hpysical document.)
Exactly right. We also put copies of those documents on Dropbox so we can access it from our cell phones (one of which gets left behind in the hotel room). We also split up the credit cards - he gets the Visa, I get the Master Charge, he gets the AMEX, I get the other Master Charge. Lose one set, still have others. We have two checking accounts with debit cards for this reason, too.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,356 times
Get outta town quick!!! Hop on the next train...... LOL

Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Even when I go hiking locally I keep a few bucks and a spare truck key in my sock/boots.

I always fear some idiot will snag my camera/backpack. Ya never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel