Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I believe that gap is covered by the 'Centennial Bridge' aka 'Bridge of the Americas' to connect North and South Americas.
The darien gap is not the Panama canal, it is a 100 mile jungle and swamp with no road in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
I really missed taking showers in a spacious, "regular, American-size" shower stall when I was in the UK. Tiny bathtubs don't work well when trying to wash long hair.

And in the winter, people really bundle up. They wore sweaters (jumpers) inside all the time when it was cold outside, but I was ALWAYS hot and uncomfortable.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:29 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
After spending a couple weeks touring South America, I really appreciate coming back to the USA!

Certain things I had never really thought about here, I can really appreciate after being away for two weeks.

How about you? What do you now really appreciate about living in America after being gone overseas for awhile?

(Let me give the first answer: Fast Casual Restaurants and the general ease of using credit and debit cards.)

Lots and lots of Starbucks. Generally big, good, warm, reliable showers.

That's about it.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
After Costa Rica: The ability to flush toilet paper. The fact that I didn't have people all up in my 'biz 18/7. Travel bug returned about two weeks later.

After Spain / Morocco: After Morocco, the Western toilets. After Spain, I guess home. Travel bug returned same week or next.

After Mexico: The fact that I didn't have people all up in my 'biz 18/7. The ability to flush toilet paper.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:08 PM

271 posts, read 427,122 times
Overall, US is generally more law abiding. Whenever I visit other countries there seems to be no traffic rules or rules about who is first in line. It's like survival of the fittest in a lot of places. Comparatively most of the US is very orderly.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:05 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Whenever I return to the US (SoCal) from Europe I am relieved to have my groceries bagged for me at the supermarket, instead of doing a Lucy-and-Vivian-at-the-conveyor-belt imitation just to get my groceries put into very expensive plastic bags before the next customer's groceries get piled up on top of mine...

I am relieved that there are paper towels in public toilets instead of soggy "self-cleaning" loops of cloth towels.

I'm relieved that hardly anybody smokes in public.

I love to be able to say Hi to strangers and get a smile in return, instead of a suspicious frown.

I appreciate being able to ask for the location of an item at the supermarket and actually get an answer, and not an "If you don't see it, then we don't have it!"

Old 12-02-2014, 05:21 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times
I'll always know I'm back in the USA when I see some cheery, obese, black, American airport worker after a long flight from the other side of the world in Chicago O'Hare with an accent so thick that even the British are like "WTF?"

Old 12-02-2014, 05:25 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,669 times
Well after spending some time in Oaxaca Mexico when I got home I appreciated the absence of trucks full of soldiers with rottweilers and automatic weapons everywhere.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:05 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
There is a gap in Panama.It would be a tough drive. It used to be called the Darian Gap.
My point was I don't consider anywhere in Central or South America "overseas".

Old 12-02-2014, 06:58 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
After visiting friends in Australia and touring the eastern coast on our own (total of 42 days), when I arrived back in America, what I missed most was Australia. I would live in Australia, if I could become an Australian citizen.

Don't get me wrong, I love America, but IMO, Australia is a better country to live in.
My sister moved there and hasn't looked back. After doing some research of my own, I agree with you. It is an attractive place to go and live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel