Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:05 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,242,164 times

Advertisements

I teach at a Navajo high school.
I just asked my class right now how many have any kind of ink. Two out of twenty. That is typical for out here. When they play other high schools that are not Navajo in basketball, their bare sleeves are usually spotless, while their opponents have at least half the team or more with ink...sometimes covered.
It's not everywhere in the US. Sometimes it's cultural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 09:21 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Seems like they're most common in Anglophone countries. Personally I don't get the appeal, I think they look ugly. Even good art looks bad needled into somebody's skin. But if people want them I'm not going to give them crap for it either.

I agree they do not really look good on skin. I do not have any, neither does my daughter. I do think they look better on men than on women as long as it is just one or two not all over . They are also notoriously hard to remove. I really think if you want a tattoo look you should get the fake ones once in a while in honor of a special occasion and then be able to wash it off, henna for women is also nice and temporary body art . Be very careful of any changes to your body that are permanent.

I also wonder if the op looked for or noticed makeup tattoos? I think they can look nice if done well but definitely do fade with time.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 12-02-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 09:45 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,692,612 times
Is this the weekly bash tattoos thread? I have tattoos. Don't like them, don't get them. It's really that simple. The non-tattood crowd should really keep their advice and suggestions on tattoos to themselves. But in this day and age, everyone has an opinion on something that doesn't concern them.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:16 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,587,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I agree that they "age you." For females, first it was the ankle, then the tramp stamp, and then the arms. For WWII males it's that army green ink. For 1990s males it's the ubiquitous " tribal tattoo."

I'm also one of my few friends with no ink but that has more to do w my fear of commitment and my tendencies to over think things!

Funny story- I had been drawing one for years that I wanted. And then one day my bff at the time came over and showed me she had MY EXACT OOAK DESIGN inked on?! WTF!!? I didn't want to be the second one to have it. We were both amature artists. I was working on it for like 5 years...
Not only do they "age you" they can often stamp you culturally/socially. People from shared cultural groups often get the same kinds of tattoos (same symbols, colors, location on body,etc). That's not necessarily a bad thing. But it can have its drawbacks.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:24 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,376,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It's a public forum. As I said, what's the problem with tattoos?
They're bumper stickers for your skin which require injecting ink into your body and are extremely difficult (if not impossible) to remove. So the only real question is... why?

To the OP's question, my guess is that it's because they're still a little less affected by rock music and reality TV where tattoos are the norm, and essential for coolness. But you can be sure that will change soon if it hasn't already.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
I can remember when it was mostly a drunk decision by soldiers when I was in Army. There is a reason that removal is a growing; expensive service industry.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:46 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,905,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
One of the things I like to do when I travel is people watch. In America it seems like half the people 18-35 have visible tattoos. But as I traveled in South America and in Europe this year, I saw some visible tattoos but not many at all. Is it because they can't afford them or are they smarter overseas?

What countries other than America do the majority of young people have tattoos?

Good thread.
Because we live in a decadent age. Those who sport tattoos are often the offspring of those with tattoos.

I have no idea why people hate themselves to the point they must disfigure themselves so; low self esteem? It is no longer unique - I would say trashy. Americans are ugly by nature in that respect.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:48 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,842,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't get it, whats the problem with tattoos? I have 3, I'm going to get another one to commemorate my Nicaragua trip. I have no idea if people in other countries have more or less tattoos than people in the U.S., nor do I notice their age. I don't care about it.
Some people (maybe me) think they are ugly and disfiguring the bod.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:14 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,744,128 times
I don't have a problem with people who sport tattoos per say. My problem is that most look very generic or tacky. Maybe it is just me, but I fail to see the artistic appeal on many of the more elaborate and intricate designs.

I think one of the worst trends in tattooing over the last decade have been dudes with bar or wire tattoos around their biceps without any other tattoos on their body. How more generic can you be? On females the tats behind the ears or the ones that cover their entire back are in my opinion the absolute worst. I will give an honorable mention to the ones with words or meanings represented by a Chinese letter. I mean really, how much more tacky and/or lame could you be?

Now don't get me wrong. There are a few folks who can sport tattoos and make them look good. However these people tend to have a combination of attitude as well as much more intricately designed and placed tattoos.

But to answer the OP, I would imagine it would gradually increase in places like Central and South America and probably be about equal in Europe.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:23 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,255,838 times
How did this thread become a judgement on tattoos when the OP asked what other countries are tattoos popular. His question was worded kind of jerky, but the main question remains...where are tattoos popular?

OP says USA
I said Brazil
kev mentioned seeing lots on Brits and only a few on Portuguese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel