Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 06:25 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,161,294 times

Advertisements

General commentary about my journey to obtain the NEXUS customs and border security program clearance, and a question or two at the end:

Last fall, my pal who travels a bit more than I do (for work) mostly domestically in the U.S. said, "Apply for Global Pass. When you get it, you'll have access to "Trusted Traveler" on domestic flights, which will often (though not always) mean shorter, easier security lines at airports!" So I looked into it, from the government's GOES site, and noticed NEXUS seemed the better option. Applying for Global Pass or NEXUS seemed to be the two options, at the time, though strangely one was more expensive than the other ($100 vs. $50, "I think").

NEXUS is the U.S./Canada cooperation pass; that's been around some number of years post-911. Here in WA State, lines for car entry at Blaine (Peace Arch) to Canada (B.C.) are notorious certain times of the day, going and coming back to the U.S. NEXUS line is is usually (always?) easier. I figured: I go to Canada more than other international destinations, let's try that program.

In the midst of the process, it appears (fortunately for me) they were busily merging NEXUS, Global Pass, and SENTRI. SENTRI is similar, for U.S./Mexico travelers. I did not quite comprehend that in the details, but it seemed like a logical idea: cleared for one, cleared for all, since they each involve what seems to be a moderately-thorough security check and require a near-spotless criminal background check.

They processed my application in a couple months, and it took another four months for an interview appointment (whatever: a trip up to the Blaine border from Seattle and a morning off work. They do them at SeaTac airport and elsewhere, too, but the waits were longer @seven or eight MONTHS). The interview near Blaine WA, quite recently, was pretty thorough. Two agents, one from Canada and other U.S., quizzed me about various matters in-person. They seem to take it seriously, as do I, and I carefully read what they provided about the responsibilities. I'll honor my side of the bargain at the border.

So on-approval, last week, I journeyed to the GOES website to see what's what. Lo and behold, to my mild surprise, as-mentioned above: in the approval notice it includes "Trusted Traveler Program": Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS clearances. Wow, a three-fer!

This all seems pretty neat for the fifty bucks or so I paid for NEXUS application, a security check, and in-person interview all done within a six month window. When my NEXUS card is ready, I'll see if this buys me goodwill by adding my "Trusted Traveler" number to various airline ticketing sites (United, Alaska, Delta, couple others). Anything to reduce airport hassle can NOT be a bad thing.

If a person can pass the security check, this all "appears" to be a great idea. Other's experience with Trusted Traveler and such, traveling nationally and internationally? Curious how all this will pan out, in a positive sense, at border crossings and etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 06:34 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,456,692 times
Yes, they are now linked. I just renewed mine. It is a wonderful thing to have if you travel outside the country. I wouldnt be without mine.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:50 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,308,356 times
They've been linked for a few years now. It's fantastic using Global Entry into the US from places other than Canada.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:19 PM

580 posts, read 778,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
This all seems pretty neat for the fifty bucks or so I paid for NEXUS application, a security check, and in-person interview all done within a six month window. When my NEXUS card is ready, I'll see if this buys me goodwill by adding my "Trusted Traveler" number to various airline ticketing sites (United, Alaska, Delta, couple others). Anything to reduce airport hassle can NOT be a bad thing.

If a person can pass the security check, this all "appears" to be a great idea. Other's experience with Trusted Traveler and such, traveling nationally and internationally? Curious how all this will pan out, in a positive sense, at border crossings and etc.?
You don't bypass security, you theoretically enter the "TSA Precheck" security checkpoints available at certain airports. These are the lines where you don't have to take off your shoes, take out your laptop from the carry-on or your liquids bag.

However, security can gum-up the line by directing non-Precheck folks into the Precheck line.

The beauty of Global Entry is breezing through Immigration, especially if you transit through a place like Dulles and have the fortune of landing when 4 other 777s and an A380 are disgorging at the same time.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:08 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,161,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
You don't bypass security, you theoretically enter the "TSA Precheck" security checkpoints available at certain airports. These are the lines where you don't have to take off your shoes, take out your laptop from the carry-on or your liquids bag.

However, security can gum-up the line by directing non-Precheck folks into the Precheck line.

The beauty of Global Entry is breezing through Immigration, especially if you transit through a place like Dulles and have the fortune of landing when 4 other 777s and an A380 are disgorging at the same time.
Yeah, internally (U.S.) I'll square up with the airlines to ensure that "TSA Precheck" stamp is now on my boarding passes, for those airlines that participate. My number is in their systems (now), but was not when I purchased the tickets through Expedia.

Coming back into the United States later this year, from South Africa via London, I bet I'll be praising Global Entry a lot more here in Seattle (airport: SEA).

The whole process was pretty easy, other than an amusingly vigorous interview by Canadian customs up near Blaine, WA (for NEXUS, which yes indeed-y has reciprocity with SENTRI, Global Entry, and TSA Precheck). My actual card is "NEXUS", but he number on the back is all-encompassing for the programs. Hella-bargain for $50/5 years. I bet they'll unify and streamline the programs pretty quickly, in terms of pricing and process.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:08 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,985,821 times
So what I understand from here and the websites, if you do Global Entry you are automatically enrolled in Pre-Check (in theory getting me through security faster and back into the country faster for my $100 Global Entry fee)? That might be well worth the money for my husband and I to do it, since it's good for 5 years and we travel internationally a lot. I had thought, for some reason, that you had to do both separately and pay separately.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:50 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,802,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
So what I understand from here and the websites, if you do Global Entry you are automatically enrolled in Pre-Check (in theory getting me through security faster and back into the country faster for my $100 Global Entry fee)? That might be well worth the money for my husband and I to do it, since it's good for 5 years and we travel internationally a lot. I had thought, for some reason, that you had to do both separately and pay separately.
No you only have to pay for one service. In theory if you never travel internationally you don't need Global Entry but the price difference is so small that it just makes sense to upgrade. Also NEXUS will give you the same benefits for half the cost of Global Entry, however it's only worth it if you live near one of the enrollment centers which are near Canadian border

Old 03-17-2015, 03:24 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,985,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
No you only have to pay for one service. In theory if you never travel internationally you don't need Global Entry but the price difference is so small that it just makes sense to upgrade. Also NEXUS will give you the same benefits for half the cost of Global Entry, however it's only worth it if you live near one of the enrollment centers which are near Canadian border
Thanks.....and I DO travel majorly internationally, and rarely to Canada, so I'm thinking Global Entry would be well worth the money. Nothing like getting home after a 17-hour direct flight and then standing in ridiculous lines at IAH or DFW!

Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM

4,617 posts, read 3,314,802 times
Just noticed this thread. I'm a Nexus card holder but didn't know all this. When did they all get joined? I'm wondering if I'm in all these programs since my last renewal and didn't realize it.

Last edited by ndcairngorm; 03-24-2015 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: left a word out

Old 03-25-2015, 12:31 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,308,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Just noticed this thread. I'm a Nexus card holder but didn't know all this. When did they all get joined? I'm wondering if I'm in all these programs since my last renewal and didn't realize it.
Two or three years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel