Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:39 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I think there are many people that think they are superior with statements like "Some of us have figured out how to pack." and " but I don't understand why people feel the need to bring so much crap with them when they travel." gives the impression that people who choose to bring more along are choosing an inferior way to pack. It's not only people here but there is the same sentiment in another travel group I belong to which considers carry on only to be the gold standard of traveling.
I do think that many people who have traveled a lot have, on an occasion or three, been inconvenienced or have experienced some kind of limitation of possibilities or loss of time (of one kind or another, be it minor or significant) due to other people in their party overpacking. So I do think that it can be an inferior way to pack.

And yeah, so can "underpacking", if you inconvenience others by not bringing something important. However, while that can certainly happen, in my experience (your experience may surely vary) the opposite happens more.

When your travel involves stuff like getting onto public transit directly form the airport, making a transfer or two, and then, say, walking ten blocks through a city to one's hotel, a certain "inferiority" does become apparent in overpacking. But not everyone travels like that, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
In some ways it's the easier way to travel. In other ways it's decidedly not. It's a hell of a lot quicker to just grab whatever clothes you want to take and shove then into a large a suitcase instead of spending lots of time trying to whittle down the load until it's carryon sized. And it's much nicer to walk through the airport carrying nothing more substantial than a small purse or briefcase. I know that at around the halfway point of my own upcoming trip a part of me is really, really going to wish I'd checked my bag instead of carrying it on. 14 pounds feels like 14 tons after you've been carrying it through the airport for a while.
I have found that since I've been packing very light for a long time, it's not more difficult at all. Instead of starting at the default point of bringing a bunch of stuff and them, as you say, whittling it down, I start at the point of assuming I'm bringing my wallet, phone, and toiletries, and then ask myself- "what else do I actually need?" I find it to actually be very easy and fast.

As for carrying stuff, my rule is that I simply won't (if I can possibly avoid it) bring more on a trip than I would be comfortable carrying several miles. And I mean carrying. I don't do rolling suitcases. Or overstuffed massive backpacks either.

The advantage to this is it doesn't matter if I'm at the airport waiting for a plane, walking around a city, going to and from the airport- I simply don't ring more than I can comfortably carry.

I fully realize that many people choose not to travel this way, and that do to the nature of some trips or physical health/condition, other simply cannot travel this way. I'm simply pointing out that for some, it's extremely practical and allows a convenience and flexibility that can really improve the traveling experience. (Want to take a side trip after checking out of the hotel and before going to the airport? On foot? No problem. And so on...)

Again, I'm not saying it makes anyone superior, I'm just saying it's very sensible for some kinds of travelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
People should choose the packing solution that works for their own personal travel style and the sort of trip they are taking. But if they DO want to go carryon only, they should learn how to do it right. No bringing onboard oversized and overly heavy bags as carryons! That's not fair to the other passengers who do abide by the rules.
Absolutely.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I do think that many people who have traveled a lot have, on an occasion or three, been inconvenienced or have experienced some kind of limitation of possibilities or loss of time (of one kind or another, be it minor or significant) due to other people in their party overpacking. So I do think that it can be an inferior way to pack.

And yeah, so can "underpacking", if you inconvenience others by not bringing something important. However, while that can certainly happen, in my experience (your experience may surely vary) the opposite happens more.

When your travel involves stuff like getting onto public transit directly form the airport, making a transfer or two, and then, say, walking ten blocks through a city to one's hotel, a certain "inferiority" does become apparent in overpacking. But not everyone travels like that, I know.
We actually had two ladies ask if we could help them haul their two large suitcases (tagged heavy) each up the tube steps in London. We politely declined. DH already has a herniated disc and I'm not about to get one. They should have paid for a porter to a taxi instead of expecting others to manage their tons o' crap for them.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:57 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We actually had two ladies ask if we could help them haul their two large suitcases (tagged heavy) each up the tube steps in London. We politely declined. DH already has a herniated disc and I'm not about to get one. They should have paid for a porter to a taxi instead of expecting others to manage their tons o' crap for them.
I'd love to do carry-on only but I don't have the arm and shoulder strength to lift my bag into the overhead compartment, and I'm not going to be "that person" who depends on others to lift her bag for her.

If it's a really short trip, like a weekend, I'll do carry-on only and stuff my little bag under the seat in front of me.

So I usually check my bag, and yes, if it's really heavy I hire a porter to schlep it for me.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'd love to do carry-on only but I don't have the arm and shoulder strength to lift my bag into the overhead compartment, and I'm not going to be "that person" who depends on others to lift her bag for her.

If it's a really short trip, like a weekend, I'll do carry-on only and stuff my little bag under the seat in front of me.

So I usually check my bag, and yes, if it's really heavy I hire a porter to schlep it for me.
Your strategy is exactly what I plan on doing if I get to the point that I can't lift my bag. I agree on the weekend trip--I have one coming up in about a month and I'll take nothing but a backpack or similar.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:23 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
I think there are many people that think they are superior with statements like "Some of us have figured out how to pack." and " but I don't understand why people feel the need to bring so much crap with them when they travel." gives the impression that people who choose to bring more along are choosing an inferior way to pack. It's not only people here but there is the same sentiment in another travel group I belong to which considers carry on only to be the gold standard of traveling.

Overall my view is that yeah it is the easier way to travel but I'm not going to consider myself a failure if I don't make it down to a carry on bag.
I don't think I could travel with just a carry-on bag. I suppose I could try sometime & yeah it'd be awesome if I could have everything I need in a backpack but it's just not realistic all the time.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't think I could travel with just a carry-on bag. I suppose I could try sometime & yeah it'd be awesome if I could have everything I need in a backpack but it's just not realistic all the time.
There are tons of articles online detailing packing strategies to make it a pretty simple matter.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:01 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
There are tons of articles online detailing packing strategies to make it a pretty simple matter.
I'm sure there are. I don't need to read an article to know how to pack lightly, I just don't ever feel the need, so far. I like to have options. I just have a suitcase that I check & a bag I bring on board with me so it's not like I'm packing multiple bags. Anyway, as I mentioned, maybe the next tropical place I go I'll have just a carry-on since you don't need many clothes for tropical areas.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:51 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I'm sure there are. I don't need to read an article to know how to pack lightly, I just don't ever feel the need, so far. I like to have options. I just have a suitcase that I check & a bag I bring on board with me so it's not like I'm packing multiple bags. Anyway, as I mentioned, maybe the next tropical place I go I'll have just a carry-on since you don't need many clothes for tropical areas.
I agree. I think there is a difference between "can do it" and "want to do it". I also like to have options and the number of options I want to have will depend on where I'm going. I do take into consideration how I will be getting around, for the most part I will either have a car available at my destination or I know that I will be staying in one place so the only time I have to lug my bag around once.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I agree. I think there is a difference between "can do it" and "want to do it". I also like to have options and the number of options I want to have will depend on where I'm going. I do take into consideration how I will be getting around, for the most part I will either have a car available at my destination or I know that I will be staying in one place so the only time I have to lug my bag around once.
I think that a lot of the enthusiastic carry-on-only folks are those that are visiting multiple destinations and/or traveling around on train/bus/boat/whatever etc while on the trip. (and also folks flying internationally who have a transfer where they would have to retrieve and re-check checked baggage before flying out of one country)

If someone's flying domestically, then renting a car at the airport and staying in one place, then aside from some potential minor annoyance at the airport, it doesn't mater that much if they bring a backpack or two steamer trunks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel