Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 01:07 PM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times

Advertisements

So, like many others, I thoroughly enjoy international travel and try to get away whenever I can (I don't like going more than two years without visiting a foreign country). I love the experience of traveling, from planning and packing to actual traveling and meeting new people/seeing new sights/eating new foods, etc. Still, when I'm overseas (and this even applies sometimes to my travels within the United States), after a while I start to miss some things about home. While not a complete list and in no particular order, some common things I find myself missing are:

-The food. While food overseas can be great, there's something about the familiar flavors from home that I miss after a while. For instance, when I was in India, though I was in a culinary heaven, I got tired of eating curries, etc. after a while and was soon craving a burger and fries! Unfortunately, it was a pain in the butt to find beef for sale/consumption in India and, where they do sell it, I question its freshness.

On another trip (this time in Sydney), I started to get a massive Chipotle craving after a while (the Mexican food options in Sydney are seriously lacking in my view).

And these examples don't even get into when I've been in countries/cities where the food is nothing to write home about to begin with (i.e. the UK )!

-My bed/the comfort of home. There's nothing like sleeping in your own bed.

-Friends/family. This is all the more of an issue for me as I tend to travel alone these days because my friends/family either aren't as enthusiastic about traveling as I am or are not as financially organized/committed to saving to travel as I am. Yes, things like Skype and Facetime help fill that void, but its just not the same.

What do some of my fellow travelers miss about home when traveling (if anything . . . I know that for some its a blast being away from home and many are in no rush to return)? Your answers can deal with things you miss while overseas or just while traveling in general
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 01:39 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
Not sure where you were eating in the UK but I could put you right.

One thing I miss is the way I have my pillows! I need big ones stacked high.

I was in Italy last month and they seem to have an aversion to them, France being somewhat similar. They seem to have just one low one per person.

I'm off to Italy again next month and hope that I won't have the same issue.

I know that things are different abroad, and thank goodness they are or it would be a boring World where everything was the same.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Ha! Jezer nailed it with the pillows! Even in luxury hotels in Italy it's hard to get decent pillows. I'd add to that top sheets. It's more common to just get a duvet with a cover. Too hot!

Otherwise I miss my dogs.

I have friends scattered across the world, so don't really miss those at home because I'm spending so much time with the ones I scarcely see.

After a couple weeks in some countries I'm craving "American" comfort food. It's not really a problem in the UK where I can get almost anything I can get at home. Except Mexican. Good, authentic Mexican. It doesn't exist in the UK, and it's difficult to find the ingredients to make it yourself. Easy enough to find a good burger or chicken sandwich or whatever though.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:11 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,797,037 times
In the UAE, the thing I missed the most was ice. The restaurants never served it unless you asked for it and one time when I asked for some the waitress came over with a glass of ice and tongs and started putting cubes in my drink one by one. After a few stunned moments I told her she could stop but to leave the cup of ice. I was also disappointed that the hotels we stayed in didn't have ice makers on the floors.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
freedom, peace and QUIET.

No queues !

No bribes required in USA to get simple stuff done.(in general...)

Old 03-22-2015, 11:59 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
In the UAE, the thing I missed the most was ice. The restaurants never served it unless you asked for it and one time when I asked for some the waitress came over with a glass of ice and tongs and started putting cubes in my drink one by one. After a few stunned moments I told her she could stop but to leave the cup of ice. I was also disappointed that the hotels we stayed in didn't have ice makers on the floors.
I love that someone mentioned ice. It's so trivial, but it was one of the first things I thought of. I haven't traveled overseas in a while, except for a short trip to Mexico a couple of years ago, but I was always happy to come home to ice in my water or soft drink!

Old 03-23-2015, 07:46 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,151 times
Iced tea. Plain and simple, whether it was in Italy or the United Arab Emirates and Oman.....I miss iced tea!

Old 03-23-2015, 08:56 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
My dog, my bed and my pillow. Sometimes, my DVR.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:15 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,006,642 times
The thing I miss most when traveling overseas is being able to hop in my car and go somewhere, whether it be the store or just for a drive in the country.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:43 PM

483 posts, read 655,659 times
When my husband went to China for 3 weeks on business he said the thing he missed the most was his toilet at home.
Apparently whichever hotel they put him in had rectangular toilets(yep, even the part you sit on) and he was just not having that.

I'm sure he missed me too, but that particular thing was something I heard about every time we talked on Skype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel