Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 PM

19 posts, read 31,382 times

Advertisements

A question for my EWR/NYC savvy friends: I'll be flying into EWR (Newark) on a Thursday at about 5 p.m. and staying in SoHo one night. My car will be parked at EWR.

When I leave NYC the next day, I'll be driving up to New England. So my question is whether I'm better off leaving the car parked at EWR and taking the train into the city (and traveling back to EWR to retrieve my car the next day) or booking a hotel with a dedicated parking garage in SoHo?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 03:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
You'd have to do the math to figure it out. include the time of going back to EWR in the equation.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Why not pick up the car when you are ready to leave? Either at EWR or in NYC.

Why would you pick up a rental car, then park it at the Airport?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Why not pick up the car when you are ready to leave? Either at EWR or in NYC.

Why would you pick up a rental car, then park it at the Airport?
OP didn't indicate it was a rental car.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:30 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaxolotl View Post
A question for my EWR/NYC savvy friends: I'll be flying into EWR (Newark) on a Thursday at about 5 p.m. and staying in SoHo one night. My car will be parked at EWR.

When I leave NYC the next day, I'll be driving up to New England. So my question is whether I'm better off leaving the car parked at EWR and taking the train into the city (and traveling back to EWR to retrieve my car the next day) or booking a hotel with a dedicated parking garage in SoHo?

Thanks!

Better off in what sense?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:25 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
OP didn't indicate it was a rental car.
Good point.. I assumed since she was flying in she would be renting a car. But i Just noticed her Nick, CTaxolotl,

I guess she could be from CT, Driving down to EWR doing a trip, flying back to EWR, then into SoHo, then head back to CT/NE

If it were me in the above, I would take the car into the city Pay to park, then head up to New England the next day from SoHo. The time, and hassle of taking the train to NYC, then Subway, and back with a overnight bag would be to much.

Plus the cost of two NJTraisit/Amtrak tickets, I think they charge for the MonoRail to the EWR Station, Two subway tickets, and the "extra" day of parking @ EWR would probably equal the cost of the parking in the city for a night + "Extra" tolls, if not more.

Last edited by flyonpa; 05-28-2015 at 06:43 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 07:15 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Good point.. I assumed since she was flying in she would be renting a car. But i Just noticed her Nick, CTaxolotl,

I guess she could be from CT, Driving down to EWR doing a trip, flying back to EWR, then into SoHo, then head back to CT/NE

If it were me in the above, I would take the car into the city Pay to park, then head up to New England the next day from SoHo. The time, and hassle of taking the train to NYC, then Subway, and back with a overnight bag would be to much.

Plus the cost of two NJTraisit/Amtrak tickets, I think they charge for the MonoRail to the EWR Station, Two subway tickets, and the "extra" day of parking @ EWR would probably equal the cost of the parking in the city for a night + "Extra" tolls, if not more
This^^^^^

Old 05-28-2015, 09:39 AM

19 posts, read 31,382 times
Thanks everyone! I'm flying into EWR after a trip out west and so there will be a bit of luggage involved; probably better to drive into the city and pay a lot more for parking than deal with the hassle of taking the train and subway back and forth to EWR.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaxolotl View Post
Thanks everyone! I'm flying into EWR after a trip out west and so there will be a bit of luggage involved; probably better to drive into the city and pay a lot more for parking than deal with the hassle of taking the train and subway back and forth to EWR.
That sounds like the best plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel