U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 PM
 
16 posts, read 20,154 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

A question for my EWR/NYC savvy friends: I'll be flying into EWR (Newark) on a Thursday at about 5 p.m. and staying in SoHo one night. My car will be parked at EWR.

When I leave NYC the next day, I'll be driving up to New England. So my question is whether I'm better off leaving the car parked at EWR and taking the train into the city (and traveling back to EWR to retrieve my car the next day) or booking a hotel with a dedicated parking garage in SoHo?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:17 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Reputation: 13019
You'd have to do the math to figure it out. include the time of going back to EWR in the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,130 posts, read 17,160,797 times
Reputation: 9982
Why not pick up the car when you are ready to leave? Either at EWR or in NYC.

Why would you pick up a rental car, then park it at the Airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,841,496 times
Reputation: 16494
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Why not pick up the car when you are ready to leave? Either at EWR or in NYC.

Why would you pick up a rental car, then park it at the Airport?
OP didn't indicate it was a rental car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 11:30 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,425,223 times
Reputation: 19655
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaxolotl View Post
A question for my EWR/NYC savvy friends: I'll be flying into EWR (Newark) on a Thursday at about 5 p.m. and staying in SoHo one night. My car will be parked at EWR.

When I leave NYC the next day, I'll be driving up to New England. So my question is whether I'm better off leaving the car parked at EWR and taking the train into the city (and traveling back to EWR to retrieve my car the next day) or booking a hotel with a dedicated parking garage in SoHo?

Thanks!

Better off in what sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 06:25 AM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,130 posts, read 17,160,797 times
Reputation: 9982
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
OP didn't indicate it was a rental car.
Good point.. I assumed since she was flying in she would be renting a car. But i Just noticed her Nick, CTaxolotl,

I guess she could be from CT, Driving down to EWR doing a trip, flying back to EWR, then into SoHo, then head back to CT/NE

If it were me in the above, I would take the car into the city Pay to park, then head up to New England the next day from SoHo. The time, and hassle of taking the train to NYC, then Subway, and back with a overnight bag would be to much.

Plus the cost of two NJTraisit/Amtrak tickets, I think they charge for the MonoRail to the EWR Station, Two subway tickets, and the "extra" day of parking @ EWR would probably equal the cost of the parking in the city for a night + "Extra" tolls, if not more.

Last edited by flyonpa; 05-28-2015 at 06:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,107 posts, read 24,905,013 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Good point.. I assumed since she was flying in she would be renting a car. But i Just noticed her Nick, CTaxolotl,

I guess she could be from CT, Driving down to EWR doing a trip, flying back to EWR, then into SoHo, then head back to CT/NE

If it were me in the above, I would take the car into the city Pay to park, then head up to New England the next day from SoHo. The time, and hassle of taking the train to NYC, then Subway, and back with a overnight bag would be to much.

Plus the cost of two NJTraisit/Amtrak tickets, I think they charge for the MonoRail to the EWR Station, Two subway tickets, and the "extra" day of parking @ EWR would probably equal the cost of the parking in the city for a night + "Extra" tolls, if not more
.
This^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 09:39 AM
 
16 posts, read 20,154 times
Reputation: 31
Thanks everyone! I'm flying into EWR after a trip out west and so there will be a bit of luggage involved; probably better to drive into the city and pay a lot more for parking than deal with the hassle of taking the train and subway back and forth to EWR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 AM
 
32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
Reputation: 14956
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaxolotl View Post
Thanks everyone! I'm flying into EWR after a trip out west and so there will be a bit of luggage involved; probably better to drive into the city and pay a lot more for parking than deal with the hassle of taking the train and subway back and forth to EWR.
That sounds like the best plan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top