Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 09:11 PM

54 posts, read 73,994 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I'll be leaving for vacation to Punta Cana next week staying at a new resort called Chic. Was wondering what were some of the best excursions down there to do and not to do. If there are any good local spots to try out and anything else you can think of that would be helpful and fun for me!!!! Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:40 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,096,480 times
Local spots...no. The resorts have gates and walls for a reason. They may offer guided excursions. We visited Santos Domingo that way.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:26 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Bavaro Beach shops, get a rental car and drive into Higuey (a TOTAL immersion into local culture -- you will not see any English ANYWHERE), explore the "downtown" Punta Cana area. There's not a lot to do outside your resort there, and taxis are terribly expensive. We got a rental car for a week for what people were paying for one roundtrip from our resort (Al Sol Luxury Village) to the Hard Rock. Several of the people we met there suggested Saona Island for a day, but we didn't have any extra days to do that.

We felt safe the entire time we were there, even as two females exploring alone.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:24 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
We drove all over the area between Punta Cana and Casa de Campo. Two restaurants that we enjoyed are El Arponero in Boca de Yuma and Playa Blanca in Punta Cana. Two more in Bayahibe are Mare Nuestro and Las Palmas. Both were wonderful and there are several others in Bayahibe.

The Pirate Rum Factory was interesting with their hand painted bottles.

You really should rent a car.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:28 PM

Thanks RooCeleste. Saona Island is on the list of things to do. I'm glad you all felt safe though that makes me feel a lot better I've been getting mixed reviews on how safe it is over there. The car is a great idea because our resort seems to be out in the middle of nowhere. Roadking2003 thanks so much for those restaurants and areas i don't want to eat at the hotel everyday and want to be able to venture out and say i tried some authentic food while i was there.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:20 PM

658 posts, read 847,975 times
Check out Maceo's beach, too. It's between the towns Bavaro and Uvero Alta. i may have misspelled the names but you get the drift.

I passed by Chic on my way to my resort, Breathless while there. Looked very eclectic and...chic, lol.

If you have time, take the excursion to Santo Domingo through the hotel. It's an all day trips but worth it. Have fun!

Old 06-01-2015, 02:10 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,789 times
Have fun! Went there about a decade ago, had a great time!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:55 AM

Hey Everyone!!! Just got back last night we had a great time! We did a couple excursions, the trip to Saona Island on the catamaran! It was so beautiful out there and stopping to find the starfish was awesome too. It's an all day excursion but soooo worth it defiently recommend it! We also did the dune buggys which was a lot of fun too! You stop In a little village and they show you how they do the cigars and make coffee and cocoa. There are a lot of children on the side of the roads as your riding through. Some want to sell you stuff others just want a high five as your driving! You also make a stop at Maceo beach before you come back!!

We didn't get to go explore Higuey they had a demonstration going on where they were burning tires and stuff do to there living conditions and the government not wanting to help them. So they wernt letting anyone in or out just to be on the safe side!

The Food at our hotel was ok, nothing to write home about. I think if they wouldn't try to Americanize it so much and just go with what they know it would be much better. We did eat at a little place at the market and it was sooo good! Fried plantains won me over!!

All in all it was a wonderful trip I'll def be going back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel