Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:54 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

November does not seem to be a good time for France, is it? It will be cold and grey in Paris and even the French Riviera isn't that pleasant at that time. Is there anywhere in France that's ideal to see in early to mid November?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 11:26 PM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
I was in Paris last November and it wasn't too bad.

Clearly I didn't go there to get a tan but neither were there vast crowds at the more popular spots around the city.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:07 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
November does not seem to be a good time for France, is it? It will be cold and grey in Paris and even the French Riviera isn't that pleasant at that time. Is there anywhere in France that's ideal to see in early to mid November?
Really? What makes you believe that?

Spring and fall are the BEST times to visit. Weather is usually decent, and the crowds are a fraction of what they are this time of year.

And accommodations are cheaper too.

Unless you are going swimming or wanting to sunbathe, who cares if its in the 50's instead of the 70's or 80's.

As long as its warm enough not to snow, which is very rare in Nov.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I agree, spring and fall are great times to visit Paris.

I was there this past March and it was lovely. Cool but not cold, low crowds. Personally I would rather have cool or even cold weather over heat. You can always add a sweater or coat. It can be almost impossible to find relief when it is hot and humid.

I wouldn't go to Paris (or even most of France) if I was looking to sunbathe. There are plenty of far less expensive options--with better beaches.

ETA--I would LOVE to see it snow in Paris. Somehow it would make it even more beautiful seeing snowflakes come down in that amazing place.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:11 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I agree, spring and fall are great times to visit Paris.

I was there this past March and it was lovely. Cool but not cold, low crowds. Personally I would rather have cool or even cold weather over heat. You can always add a sweater or coat. It can be almost impossible to find relief when it is hot and humid.

I wouldn't go to Paris (or even most of France) if I was looking to sunbathe. There are plenty of far less expensive options--with better beaches.

ETA--I would LOVE to see it snow in Paris. Somehow it would make it even more beautiful seeing snowflakes come down in that amazing place.
The west coast of France has some stunning beaches and tends to be much less expensive than Paris or the Cote d'Azur

Old 07-11-2015, 11:25 AM

thanks for the suggestions. Tanning and the beach thing aren't what I am slightly interested in. I am more interested in seeing old architecture, culture, street life and beautiful landscape.

I had spent a week in Paris in the summer before but would like to return. I'm am just concerned whether in November it will be too chilly that you don't see many people (but it's paris I think that's unlikely) and the sky is too gloomy for me to really enjoy the city, and wonder the southeast coast will be a better option (although Nice is by no means Paris). I'd like to take some French classes as well to improve.

What other areas are still ideal for a visit in November? Again I don't care about beaches as I don't do it even in the summer.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:53 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
thanks for the suggestions. Tanning and the beach thing aren't what I am slightly interested in. I am more interested in seeing old architecture, culture, street life and beautiful landscape.

I had spent a week in Paris in the summer before but would like to return. I'm am just concerned whether in November it will be too chilly that you don't see many people (but it's paris I think that's unlikely) and the sky is too gloomy for me to really enjoy the city, and wonder the southeast coast will be a better option (although Nice is by no means Paris). I'd like to take some French classes as well to improve.

What other areas are still ideal for a visit in November? Again I don't care about beaches as I don't do it even in the summer.
One of my favorite parts of France is the Loire Valley. Stay in Amboise and use that as a base to visit the chateaux, castles, old towns, vineyards, etc.. Tends to be reasonably priced and the food is great.

If weather is an issue and you prefer to be in the south, I would avoid the Nice area. It really is not that interesting. Rather, look at Avignon, Arles, Sete, Narbonne and points west heading down the coast to Spain.

I'm not a big fan of Paris to be honest. For me it is to France as New York is to the USA. France is a wonderful country and there is so much mote than just Paris.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:36 PM

besides Avignon Arle etc, what are the other interesting towns worth spending time in? I am really not familiar with south west France west of Provence.,

Old 07-12-2015, 01:52 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
+1 for the Loire valley, and also Brittany, near the Atlantic. I don't know much about them and I'm sure the weather won't be superb, but those are the only parts of France that have ever really appealed to me. Good rolling landscape, very medieval-looking towns, and I think wine is associated with the Loire, if you're into that. I'm not.

Another area that seems interesting, but very microscopic, is the portion in the far Southwestern coast that is France's cut of Basque country. I tried to go there on a trip to Spain a couple of years back but never ended up going Northwest. Regrets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayonne

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Jean-de-Luz

Old 07-12-2015, 02:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
West and SW. Also focus on WINE growing regions during November.

Yes, it could be cold and wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel