Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 03:42 PM

425 posts, read 1,105,233 times

Advertisements

dh and I are going out mid summer to Wisconsin to visit the grandaughters, now here is our predicament. they want to go to the Dells, which is a 4 hour ride south, does anyone have any ideas on a waterpark closer tothem, they live in Boyd, which is northwest of Eau Claire, we dont have a huge amount of funds, but would like to take them somwhere fun.
Minnisotta is about 2 hrs away, any good deals in that area?
figured Id throw it out there, would love any ideas anyone has
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 05:29 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Mall of America (Minneapolis/St. Paul) is about 2 hours away. Have they been there?
http://www.mallofamerica.com/adults_...rtainment.aspx

Old 02-01-2008, 04:30 AM

yes we have gone every time we have gone out, we take them to Camp Snoopy
looking for something else:}

Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 AM

Mall of America was too easy :-)

I love Wisconsin dearly (lived near Madison for a few years), but it's a very large state with its amusement park centers far and few between. There are millions of places all over the state that are gorgeous and must-see, but I tend to think your granddaughters are interested in something else.

How old are they by the way?

How about Circus World in Baraboo (about 2 1/2 hours from Boyd)? It's not a waterpark, but it would be a fun daytrip.
Circus World Museum

Minocqua (also about 2 1/2 hours away) has Pecks Wildwood Wildlife Park
Pecks Wildwood Wildlife Park - Have a good time!
and Circle M Corral Family Fun Park (can't find a working website for them, but here's a link from Yahoo)
Circle M Corral Family Fun Park, Minocqua, WI : Reviews of Circle M Corral Family Fun Park - Yahoo! Travel

However, if the Dells it is, there are some inexpensive hotels for about $50/night (such as Best Western Ambassador Inn, Americas Best Value Inn, and others. hotels.com - WE KNOW HOTELS INSIDE AND OUT.® gives a list.)

My absolute top top top favorite place to go in Wisconsin is House On The Rock in Spring Green. Unfortunately it is also about 4 hours away from Boyd, but oh what a place - I cannot even begin to describe it. The website's photo gallery does not even begin to fully explain the absolutely unique house that can take hours to go through to see all the collections of everything and anything you can imagine! A fascinating adventure for all ages.
House on the Rock - Photo Gallery

Old 02-02-2008, 05:57 AM

Default Thanks for all the info

Grandaughters are 6 and 8 , it is a heck of trip from Connecticut out there, we have driven twice and flown twice, the drive takes us 2 days, and Chicago at 4:30 am is bumper to bumper.
we have taken them to the mall of america, minnisota zoo,they would like to go to the dells but it just is to far a ride.
I did find a holiday inn in elk river mn, that has a waterpark,117 a night, kids eat free with adult purchase, and has a fridge in the room, that I think might be a option, its about 2 hrs away from where they are I think.
any more suggestions we are open for
thanks again

Old 02-03-2008, 05:58 AM

I've done that I-90 trip between Boston and Madison more times than I want to remember. We actually dropped 90 somewhere near Gary, Indiana, and went I-80 west to I-39 north to Rockford just to avoid Chicago. I think that added 1 1/2 hours to our trip, but so well worth it.

Other places near Minneapolis besides Elk River that have hotels with indoor waterparks are Brooklyn Park and Baxter.
Indoor Waterparks in Minnesota: The Best & Biggest Waterparks in Twin City Metro Area & Outstate MN

Perhaps stay at one of these places and have the waterpark fun plus spend time at the children's museum in St Paul.
Visitor Information -- Minnesota Children's Museum (http://www.mcm.org/information.shtml - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel